tegan

The E3 Retrospectapalooza

Quotes from live stream discussion:

"Is he barefoot inside those sneakers?"

"Ya"

"No, i think he is wearing ankle socks".

E3 4 eva.

So is Double Fine remastering this or is this Sony sending it to one of their remastering teams?

This seems like a bizarre joke.

I think Double Fine's remastering it, because there was some word from them about "some word soon on other versions". Or that's the impression I got in IRC.

Seems like a joint effort? Happy to hear it's not whoever the hell is left at LucasArts doing it.

If they are working with one of the teams in Austin who did the ICO/Shadow HD set or Metal Gear Solid remasters, I will be happy then.

Honestly, as someone who didn't get to experience Grim Fandango originally, this is awesome news.

However, as someone without a PS4 or Vita, my excitement dropped back down immediately. Oh well.

Honestly, as someone who didn't get to experience Grim Fandango originally, this is awesome news.

However, as someone without a PS4 or Vita, my excitement dropped back down immediately. Oh well.

Tim all but said on Twitter that it's coming to PC as well. Just PlayStation platforms first.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714

I absolutely love that No Man's Sky trailer.

Also, the art and atmosphere in this ABZU trailer is just.. splendid!

Exciting things so far for me: The Witcher 3 (was already excited), Assassin's Creed, GTA V PC, Grim Fandango, and No Man's Sky color palette.

I think my prediction's pretty secure so far, though, if a Grim Fandango HD remake is the biggest unexpected announcement. Though it baffles me that No Man's Sky is made by a 4-man team. How exactly are they managing to have a bunch of different fauna?

It's procedurally generated.

I'm really excited about this game. It seems to have some other stuff, combat and such. But even if it were just about exploring this procedural galaxy, discovering new species, I'm sold!

It's funny that there's so many UI'less (I really can't think of a better way to put it) indie games being announced recently. It almost seems like a direct response by indie devs to triple A. Keep that shit clean! 

Things that interested me:

Kinect cut loose like a stuck anchor - It struck me as quite amusing that they got through a Dance Central showing without mentioning Kinect by name, it seemed oddly purposeful given that there was also a complete dearth of Kinect news elsewhere in the presser. (There was some buzz that many games in development that were being developed with it in mind are now being retooled for optional gamepad controls.)

Crackdown 3 - I adore the original Crackdown, and i'm willing to believe that Microsoft will give this one proper time to cook and won't churn out another lazy sequel like CD2. (Which was, quite literally, CD1 with zombies.) The bigger issue is what Crackdown will do to differentiate itself in a world where it is now surrounded by games it has inspired and influenced. (Rumor is environmental destructibility on a completely ridiculous scale, which jives with what the cg trailer depicts.)

Scaleborn - That trailer told me nothing about the game, but it's Platinum, so i'm probably on board. That studio simply has not made a bad game.

Phantom Dust - I never played the original, but the internet insists it's an underappreciated cult classic. It sounds like a weird game though, i like weird.

Witcher 3 - I guess i should catch up on this series, huh? That game looks stunning.

General EA sadness - Lots of protoypes and little to show.

Rainbow Six: Siege - There has been a serious dearth of good small-squad tactical shooters lately, and Siege looks like it might promise some action pretty true to the original spirit of Rainbow Six, just with bonkers wacky environmental destruction. (Incidentally, i'm not so sure about The Division.)

Far Cry 4 - I don't think i'm into what Ubi has been doing with the series in regards to tone, but it's hard to argue with the gameplay demo they showed off.

Arkham Knight - That demo during the Sony show was wild, that game looks phenomenal.

Bloodborne - I like the title they've gone with for Project Beast, but i'm disappointed that the gameplay footage form the leaked stills was nowhere in sight.

Grim Fandango remake - Whaaaaaaaat???

It's procedurally generated.

I'm really excited about this game. It seems to have some other stuff, combat and such. But even if it were just about exploring this procedural galaxy, discovering new species, I'm sold!

No, I mean, I get that, but it blows my mind that they've even worked out how to procedurally generate fauna. Flora I can understand, geology I can see they've put a ton of effort into, but making animals that have procedural animation and consistent behaviours blows my mind.

I mean, let's be fair here, there's no way it's as amazing and expansive as we allow ourselves to believe because there's a long history of games promising the world, but still.

I'm expecting it to feel as narratively hollow as pretty much anything else that relies on procedural generation, but don't really care. It looks stunning and I want to explore it. Kind of what I wanted to do with Eve, but all that pesky capitalism, character admin, mining and shooting got in the way.

My take on it is if they can take Proteus and put even a smigeon of mechanics in there, they've got a winner. All I want is to explore beautiful landscapes with a hint of purpose.

No, I mean, I get that, but it blows my mind that they've even worked out how to procedurally generate fauna. Flora I can understand, geology I can see they've put a ton of effort into, but making animals that have procedural animation and consistent behaviours blows my mind.

I mean, let's be fair here, there's no way it's as amazing and expansive as we allow ourselves to believe because there's a long history of games promising the world, but still.

Spore came out in 2008, and considering what it achieved and the mania for procedural generation that has been building for the last few years I'd be more surprised if we weren't seeing similar achievements in procedural fauna generation.

In fact I reckon that when no mans sky was announced dozens of indie developers around the world were disappointed to learn that they would not be the first to implement such a feature. Not that that makes it any less of an accomplishment.

I'm expecting it to feel as narratively hollow as pretty much anything else that relies on procedural generation, but don't really care. It looks stunning and I want to explore it. Kind of what I wanted to do with Eve, but all that pesky capitalism, character admin, mining and shooting got in the way.

I've always found that procedural generation, when done right, can make for pretty rich personal narratives. Like the stories I created in my head about my playthroughs in Crusader Kings and XCOM.