tegan

The E3 Retrospectapalooza

Two things worth noting: Nintendo set aside something like 45 minutes for a Q&A about a 3DS game that won't be revealed until the show, which implies it's gonna' be something nuts; and I guess Miyamoto will apparently be revealing a new IP he's been working on. Intewesting.

Two things worth noting: Nintendo set aside something like 45 minutes for a Q&A about a 3DS game that won't be revealed until the show, which implies it's gonna' be something nuts; and I guess Miyamoto will apparently be revealing a new IP he's been working on. Intewesting.

Luigi has gone rogue and kidnapped all the main cast. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Wario and Daisy are all trapped in his mansion's dungeon.

Who can save them?

He must step up and prove himself, the long time nemesis and forgotten cast member.

Waluigi.

Going to freak the fuck out if there's a Waluigi game.

It's probably another Tingle game.

Still going to freak out.

"Today we are announcing a new game, starring the most underrated of all the Super Mario villains... introducing... Birdo's Quest 3D!"

Is that game Mario Maker?  Is that a real thing?

That's still neither confirmed nor denied. At this point nobody's debunked the signage photo that's going around though, so maybe it's totally real?

It would make sense as something for the gamepad that they could get the NES Remix guys to knock up. Perhaps it'll work something like the Pushmo/Pullblox puzzle maker - make a level using a library of bits, complete it to prove it works, then upload/share. Race modes where the gamepad player has to complete a course before others reach that part in the level. Or they have to find other players and imprison them with blocks or something. I think they riffed on similar stuff in NSMBU?

Doesn't sound like killer app material, but could be fun.

It sounds like the inevitable thing that they reveal out of nowhere and then release on the eshop immediately after the conference.

Prediction: Nintendo makes brand confusion work for them instead of against them; announces Advance Wars: Duty Calls. Release date will be annoiunced "as soon as Activision finishes their thing."

Franchise iterations that I would be interested in hearing about are  Mass Effect and Red Dead. 

Franchise iterations that I would be interested in hearing about are  Mass Effect and Red Dead. 

After the joy that was ME3 Multiplayer, my hope has been that the next ME game would be a co-op squad game.  I don't really want or need another mega-epic Space Opera in that universe, at least not yet.  I'd rather see something smaller and more focused.  MP ended up being considerably more successful than they expected (I think), and it was basically salvaged portions of a standalone squad game that they gave up on.  MP showed me just how good and varied their combat design was, which was something the SP game almost went out of its way to hide from you. And it clearly had a ton of room for growth and improvement left.  By the time the last expansion came out, it was already feeling like it's own game completely separate from ME3, with the addition of entirely new classes, powers and the couple of "giant" units that couldn't even take cover. 

After the joy that was ME3 Multiplayer, my hope has been that the next ME game would be a co-op squad game.  I don't really want or need another mega-epic Space Opera in that universe, at least not yet.  I'd rather see something smaller and more focused.  MP ended up being considerably more successful than they expected (I think), and it was basically salvaged portions of a standalone squad game that they gave up on.  MP showed me just how good and varied their combat design was, which was something the SP game almost went out of its way to hide from you. And it clearly had a ton of room for growth and improvement left.  By the time the last expansion came out, it was already feeling like it's own game completely separate from ME3, with the addition of entirely new classes, powers and the couple of "giant" units that couldn't even take cover. 

That's interesting. I value the series for completely different reasons. The Mass-Effect games and the Dragon-Age games are the only ones that have heavy narrative elements available AND that I actually finish. I look forward to those games because I love what they manage to do in character and world development. It's fascinating to find out that the a mode I percieve as just a feature-add has a passionate following and manages to contribute a lot to it's own genre.

That's interesting. I value the series for completely different reasons. The Mass-Effect games and the Dragon-Age games are the only ones that have heavy narrative elements available AND that I actually finish. I look forward to those games because I love what they manage to do in character and world development. It's fascinating to find out that the a mode I percieve as just a feature-add has a passionate following and manages to contribute a lot to it's own genre.

ME3 MP had a rabid following, it was kinda nuts how popular it ended up being.  And I just bought bought ME3 on PC to play it some more, because thinking about it made me want to play it.  My wife and I played dozens (probably over 100) of hours in co-op on it, but our Gold accounts are both expired, and it was only $1 more to buy ME3 on PC as it was to reactivate our Gold accounts for a month.  I say it was successful because they patched, supported, balanced and expanded on it for about a year after release, which was a lot longer than anyone (including the dev team) expected. I think it was originally viewed as just a feature-add checkbox that turned out really good.  One of the reasons I loved it is that I could play with a crazy combination of powers and guns quickly and easily, whereas in SP you were much more limited.

To be clear, I loved the SP story and campaigns of all three games.  And I know Bioware will continue making great SP stuff.  I just also want to see what else they can do in the co-op MP space, as it was really far outside of their wheelhouse, but they did a great job with it. 

By the way guys: oh man, less that 24 hours until the first conference.

We should all hang out in Steam chat again this year.

Why not just use IRC?

#idlethumbs on irc.quakenet.org

!!!

Why not just use IRC?

#idlethumbs on irc.quakenet.org

!!!

That's a great idea. I'll probably join y'all tommorow.

Man, I would be so down for that. ME3 MP came out of nowhere but it was such a blast. I didn't even wind up getting the game for myself, but I pretty much maxed out a friend's galactic war points (or whatever the hell that thing was) playing it on his copy.

Coop would even be doable in a story setting (somewhat) since they already have a template for mutliplayer dialog in The Old Republic. Four characters, everyone chooses an option, dice roll decides who talks. Wouldn't be the best idea for a serious story with heavy consequences, but it works great if you're just playing with friends and trying to out-dialog one another.

Edit: Oh man, it's 70% off on Origin, might have to grab it. Does the standard edition come with all the multiplayer DLC or are those purchased separately? Edit: Never mind, guess all the packs are free. Sold!

OK, Micro$$$$oft starts in four hours. Do we do IRC? Steam? Skype? Get some goddamn instructions in here, I'm a noob.

I'll miss the Microsoft one because of work and the need to get cat-food, but for the talks after that I plan to chat on the IRC channel via browser.