tegan

The E3 Retrospectapalooza

Well, the second good one, anyway, if it takes after the first good one, which is all that matters.

You mean Crystal Dynamics is finally going to make a proper sequel to Tomb Raider: Legend?

You mean Crystal Dynamics is finally going to make a proper sequel to Tomb Raider: Legend?

Wait hold on people think Tomb Raider: Legend is a good game? This is fascinating.

Wow I've never heard anything so insane in my life!

This is the best slow-motion difference of opinion that I've ever seen. I really hope that this E3 is full of interviews half as odd and uncomfortable as this!

I'm pretty sure the age of megaton E3 press events is over. There'll likely be one, maybe two, pretty cool announcements at the events, but no-one wants to be the cool announcement that got overshadowed by bigger news, and there's no real need to do it all at once because of the internet. That's why you've seen a bunch of games announced for E3, but not at the press event.

Anyway, official prediction: no megaton news at the press events. Every single announcement will either be something we could reasonably assume would be coming, a pleasant surprise that we'd need to actually get our hands on to evaluate fully, or a weird thing that isn't really designed to shift systems.

It was a better game than The Tomb Raider (2013).

I concur with that sentiment - 100%. In fact all of the Tomb Raider games that Crystal Dynamics made before this one were better than it.

Although, Tomb Raider (2013) is easily the best Uncharted game.

I guess its just Left 4 Dead with monsters instead of zombies..... im ok with this

Most of the monsters in that trailer were pretty clearly zombies.

Theory: Have "the infected" overshadowed classic zombies so much that we no longer think "zombies" we see corpses rise from the grave and shamble around slowly?

I concur with that sentiment - 100%. In fact all of the Tomb Raider games that Crystal Dynamics made before this one were better than it.

Although, Tomb Raider (2013) is easily the best Uncharted game.

Going to disagree with that, too. The level design of Tomb Raider is so pedestrian next to something like Uncharted. Nothing can match climbing the giant statue in Nepal, or the ice caverns in Tibet, or even the discovery of a U-boat in the middle of the jungle.

The combat was well-designed, but all the environments just deflated any interesting possibilities. Poor story, finicky controls, bland settings, too much combat and not enough exploration. I'd rather play Uncharted 2 every six months than ever play a game like that again.

I'm pretty sure the age of megaton E3 press events is over. There'll likely be one, maybe two, pretty cool announcements at the events, but no-one wants to be the cool announcement that got overshadowed by bigger news, and there's no real need to do it all at once because of the internet. That's why you've seen a bunch of games announced for E3, but not at the press event.

Anyway, official prediction: no megaton news at the press events. Every single announcement will either be something we could reasonably assume would be coming, a pleasant surprise that we'd need to actually get our hands on to evaluate fully, or a weird thing that isn't really designed to shift systems.

We'll see, I guess.

Sooo, there is pretty much nothing left to announce or predict for E3? Should be exciting then.

This is the best slow-motion difference of opinion that I've ever seen. I really hope that this E3 is full of interviews half as odd and uncomfortable as this!

Well I'm glad you got it at least!

iKrEzh3Bl9oMr.gif

Best gif today.

Most of the monsters in that trailer were pretty clearly zombies.

Yeah, I saw that and got excited to see actual shambling corpse zombies, and not "infected".  Plus some interesting monster thing (miniature zombie Godzilla thing at the end?).  I have a really low bar for cooperative action games to cross, much lower than other genres.  Basically, are you fun to play with other people?  If so, then I will put up with a bunch of other bullshit for you. 

I'm hoping for an Oculus launch line-up to be announced. That will keep me excited for a while.

Speaking of which, did a bunch of Double Fine employees leave for Oculus? I saw some tweet the other day that seemed to imply that.

Sooo, there is pretty much nothing left to announce or predict for E3? Should be exciting then.

Yeah, that's exactly my point: it's not going to be exciting, and it hasn't been exciting for years, because the incentives to go as big as possible haven't been there for years. They shut down E3 a few years ago because the incentives weren't there, but everyone missed getting on the hype bandwagon so they brought it back. At this point it's mass delusion.

Speaking of which, did a bunch of Double Fine employees leave for Oculus? I saw some tweet the other day that seemed to imply that.

Not sure about Double Fine, but iD's been gutted. iD's just a mess these days, and working with Carmack on something that's exciting and cutting-edge is why lots of those people joined iD in the first place.

Going to disagree with that, too. The level design of Tomb Raider is so pedestrian next to something like Uncharted. Nothing can match climbing the giant statue in Nepal, or the ice caverns in Tibet, or even the discovery of a U-boat in the middle of the jungle.

The combat was well-designed, but all the environments just deflated any interesting possibilities. Poor story, finicky controls, bland settings, too much combat and not enough exploration. I'd rather play Uncharted 2 every six months than ever play a game like that again.

See, this is where we differ in what we want. Uncharted 2 paled in contrast to the vistas in the Tomb Raider series. Uncharted although pretty in places was utterly dreadful to play, the new Tomb Raider is solid and confident in terms of execution that the lacking of truly breathtaking vistas means it trumps all of the Uncharteds for me.

I liked both games?

I distinctly remember being wowed by the vistas and level design in Tomb Raider, anyway.

I liked both games?

Not allowed, sorry. Fix your opinion now. PICK A SIDE.