Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal7 13: The Emotional Damage Dealt

Terminal7 13: 

542__cover.jpg

The Emotional Damage Dealt

The buzzing conversation was halted by a chorus of knives tapping on champagne glasses. "Chairman Hiro-sama is pleased to announced a revolutionary new treatment for Toxic Allergy Syndrome, developed by the Jinteki corporation's Harmony division. But of course, this breakthrough would not be possible without your extremely gracious support, without which Jinteki's charitable works would not be possible."

Tori Hanzō glanced at the live feed, and noticed the tall blond woman in a red dress give a slightly too familiar glance to a silver-haired waiter. The exotic and glamorous locations for these fundraisers - never held in same place twice- made their connections notorious difficult to secure. Tori expected an intrusion to be detected within three minutes, but her calm was that of an unbroken pond. Resembling the shīsā that stood sentry on rooftops in her Okinawan hometown, Tori knew the newly developed ICE she had just activated would be more than adequate to ward off bad spirits, whatever form they may take.

Honour & Profit has arrived! And Quintin Smith of Shut Up & Sit Down joins Nels and Jesse to gingerly scamper across this new digital minefield. Is Jinteki deadlier than ever? Are the Criminals more replete with tricks and unorthodox tactics than ever before? Lucky episode 13 discovers the answers to these questions ... unless that was just another bluff?

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner, Arctic Scavengers

Actually, it's perfectly fine to facecheck a Komainu and then steal Fetal AI for the game-winning point.

According to the official FAQ, if the runner accesses Fetal AI as a game-winning point, then the Runner wins even if the net damage would flatline the Runner. It's because stolen or scored points are scored immediately, whereas the net damage is still "live" to be countered with paid abilities, e.g. from Feedback Filter. Therefore, the game-winning condition (stealing seven points) triggers before the game-losing condition (flatlining). The same is true for any net damage, such as the automatic net damage from Personal Evolution for stealing an agenda.

Actually, it's perfectly fine to facecheck a Komainu and then steal Fetal AI for the game-winning point.

According to the official FAQ, if the runner accesses Fetal AI as a game-winning point, then the Runner wins even if the net damage would flatline the Runner. It's because stolen or scored points are scored immediately, whereas the net damage is still "live" to be countered with paid abilities, e.g. from Feedback Filter. Therefore, the game-winning condition (stealing seven points) triggers before the game-losing condition (flatlining). The same is true for any net damage, such as the automatic net damage from Personal Evolution for stealing an agenda.

You're getting confused with the ruling on Fetal and the ruling on Personal Evolution's ability. Personal Evolution's net damage triggers after the agenda is scored or stolen, so in that case, the points are counted first and if the Runner wins, the damage is meaningless. But Fetal AI triggers on access, meaning that its net damage hits before the runner can steal the agenda. Komainu->Fetal would still kill, even if the Fetal was the game winning agenda.

In other news, Mental Health Clinic is incredibly good. So much better than PAD Campaign. As an RP player, I love that Jinteki has the two best drip economy assets in the game.

RP player?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to "Replicating Perfection" the white tree Jinteki Identity. with a bunch of drip econ it's a real pain for runners to spend all their clicks runing after the economy assets.

This one was a lot of fun to cast with Nels. Huge kudos to Quinns for cramming this after the end of a super long day!

RP player?

Yeah, sorry, I meant Jinteki: Replicating Perfection. I have to remember not to use acronyms so much.

Lol, no problem. I'm still working on wrapping my head around the core set.

You're getting confused with the ruling on Fetal and the ruling on Personal Evolution's ability. Personal Evolution's net damage triggers after the agenda is scored or stolen, so in that case, the points are counted first and if the Runner wins, the damage is meaningless. But Fetal AI triggers on access, meaning that its net damage hits before the runner can steal the agenda. Komainu->Fetal would still kill, even if the Fetal was the game winning agenda.

Aye, this is right. Fetal AI deals its 2 net damage before its stolen, and even if the runner cannot pay the 2 credits to steal it or chooses not to. And that's why RSVP -> Fetal when the runner doesn't have a Decoder out is great (and toss a Hokusai Grid in there for even more goodness!).

In other news, Mental Health Clinic is incredibly good. So much better than PAD Campaign. As an RP player, I love that Jinteki has the two best drip economy assets in the game.

Gah, between this and Diversified Portfolio, I want to put together a cruelly taxing RP deck that dumps all that extra money into Cell Portal or Corporate Troubleshooter or both! But all those other IDs sing their siren song so loudly ...

Lol, no problem. I'm still working on wrapping my head around the core set.

I see you're in Vancouver- you should hit up one of the local Netrunner nights! Tuesdays at Drexoll in Kits, Wednesday at Starlit Citadel (and Magic Stronghold in Burnaby, I think) and Thursday at the Connection on Renfrew.

Jesse (he's jouste upthread actually, hi Jesse!) and I will be at Starlit tonight at least. Hope to see you out sometime!

I enjoyed this episode a lot because I have the cards you all were talking about. I think I might start picking up cards as they come out so I can get excited about new synergies with you.

I also really enjoy the moments when technology and mythology juxtapose in cyberpunk and I'm glad Netrunner includes it. They might have already done something like this in cards I don't own, but I think NBN could benefit from the Hermetic tradition and that rich mythological/conspiratorial fabric. To me, NBN is all about information in the hands of the few while the Shapers want transparency and the Anarchs want to expose the true nature of the dominant ideologies that bolster the Mega Corps (understanding that they are dependent of inherent hypocrisy ). This spectrum of information-as-power with a mythological tone seems ripe for the game.

All of the thematic/mechanical evocation in Netrunner is exemplarary. Every time I play a match, I feel that a story has just been told.

I get the impression that NBN basically stands for nothing but greed and control (their acronym doesn't even stay consistent). I'd love a Scientology flavor to any god ICE they get.

Also, I'll be at Starlit Citadel tonight in case any other thumbs are going.