Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 259: Vietnam 1965-1975 with Nick Karp

Bruce talks to Shenandoah Studio founder and game designer Nick Karp about his 1984 game, "Vietnam 1965-1975". The pair discuss the challenges of designing a game around a conflict still fresh in the minds of the country and the world as well as where Nick got the information and inspiration for his game.

Listen here.

The other big news as part of Bruce's series: Bruce has a website! Now you can find all of the various articles Bruce has written over the years compiled into one site. Head on over to http://www.wargamespace.com/ and read up on what our OG 3MA panelist has written.

Is it just me or does Mr. Karp sound a lot like Dr. Geryk? It's almost as if Dr. Geryk did this episode Phil Hendrie style.

Another very interesting look at wargames and the Vietnam war. I almost want to buy 'Vietnam 1965-1975" just to look at it and try and 'read' it as a work of history, but it would never get played and that would make me sad.

I hope that after the already recorded trilogy is done, there will be a return to this subject if/when additional guests can be found. Also an overview of the Vietnam war based wargames that are available and worth checking out would be really cool.

Congratulations to Bruce on the new website, and another great interview. Bruce, if you see this, is there a RSS for the site?

It's a Wordpress powered site, which conveniently auto-generates feeds and works well with most RSS readers. Plugging just the url wargamespace.com into a reader like Feedly will do, but you can also get the direct RSS feed here http://www.wargamespace.com/feed/. That works for any WP site.

Another very interesting look at wargames and the Vietnam war. I almost want to buy 'Vietnam 1965-1975" just to look at it and try and 'read' it as a work of history, but it would never get played and that would make me sad.

I hope that after the already recorded trilogy is done, there will be a return to this subject if/when additional guests can be found. Also an overview of the Vietnam war based wargames that are available and worth checking out would be really cool.

This show has piqued my curiosity too greatly not to pick up a copy. They're under $100 on ebay.

It's a Wordpress powered site, which conveniently auto-generates feeds and works well with most RSS readers. Plugging just the url wargamespace.com into a reader like Feedly will do, but you can also get the direct RSS feed here http://www.wargamespace.com/feed/. That works for any WP site.

Hmm... so when I tried just the straight URL in Feedly the other day it did nothing, but it seems to have worked now so I guess maybe Feedly was just weird that day. Anyway, glad it is working now!