Frenetic Pony

HOTS... no the other HOTS. The Lords Management one damn it!

My friends and I just played against the AI to share Cho'Gall around. I wouldn't play a brand new hero against real people straight up anyway. Plus quick match games were really hard to find as everyone was trying to play Cho'Gall so queueing as them took forever.

I nabbed Cho'Gall with a friend, so if someone still needs them, I now have a quest to spread the love to two other people.

I'm in the multiplayer ID thread google doc thing (as you all should be).

I nabbed Cho'Gall with a friend, so if someone still needs them, I now have a quest to spread the love to two other people.

I'm in the multiplayer ID thread google doc thing (as you all should be).

man after spending my whole gaming life being someone who always tended to get to know people before handing out things like battlenet/steam ID's the fact they have switched to almost the gaming equivalent of business cards which you throw out to people youve just met is really taking time for me to adjust to :D

man after spending my whole gaming life being someone who always tended to get to know people before handing out things like battlenet/steam ID's the fact they have switched to almost the gaming equivalent of business cards which you throw out to people youve just met is really taking time for me to adjust to :D

I think in this community it only makes sense, being mostly comprised of excellent people; I wouldn't just post my IDs in most other places.

I played a bunch last night. I kinda like it, it strips out all the things I hated from League and Dota and leaves you with the action part. There is probably a bunch for me to still learn, but in general it's simple enough to pick up, play a few matches and do OK.

My first game was a disaster, I died constantly. I was playing a healer, and using a track pad (lol). Just being generally useless. Of course I was called a cunt and a faggot etc.

I then spent coins and played as a ranged character, with a mouse. After 2 matches of mediocrity, I was suddenly getting the highest number of kills or assists on my team. I was actually ok! Granted my teams were generally awful, but I played a good 15 matches yesterday and won the vast majority of them.

I also tried out the free character - a woman warrior because I had a quest. I did alright using her, but I felt like I didn't do any damage. I could just be wailing on someone for ages and nothing would happen, so I had to adjust my play style to something I wasn't as suited to, but I think I kinda got the hang of it. 

So yeah, I like this game. Only one match where I got "reported" for being bad in a 0-stakes match. The rest were silent with GG at the end, so already a better community than dota or league. 

I played a bunch last night. I kinda like it, it strips out all the things I hated from League and Dota and leaves you with the action part. There is probably a bunch for me to still learn, but in general it's simple enough to pick up, play a few matches and do OK.

My first game was a disaster, I died constantly. I was playing a healer, and using a track pad (lol). Just being generally useless. Of course I was called a cunt and a faggot etc.

I then spent coins and played as a ranged character, with a mouse. After 2 matches of mediocrity, I was suddenly getting the highest number of kills or assists on my team. I was actually ok! Granted my teams were generally awful, but I played a good 15 matches yesterday and won the vast majority of them.

I also tried out the free character - a woman warrior because I had a quest. I did alright using her, but I felt like I didn't do any damage. I could just be wailing on someone for ages and nothing would happen, so I had to adjust my play style to something I wasn't as suited to, but I think I kinda got the hang of it. 

So yeah, I like this game. Only one match where I got "reported" for being bad in a 0-stakes match. The rest were silent with GG at the end, so already a better community than dota or league. 

Iirc who's on free rotation atm that lady warrior would be Johanna.

She is basically designed to be the tankiest of tanks, her role is to wave clear when in lane and to keep others safe in teamfights she does (as you noticed) very little damage. I'm not sure shes who i'd recommend early on when your not getting much team play happening. 

Of the current free rotation i'd recommend Zagara (aka bug lady)

here's a typical build for her

http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/guide/zagara-team-ranged-dps-zero-downtime-72

although idk if thats actually possible with new account talent gating.

Shes basically one of if not THE single best solo lane choice, just spread your creep tumours as much as possible , launch banelings when your opponent is out of position (ideally splashing the dmg onto their mobs too) and fire off hunter killers whenever you have the mana and ranged attack when safe. If your careful you can harass someone right out of lane and force them to hearth

Edit: have also added myself to the big old id database thing

I got the star craft guy you have in the tutorial as my first character. Really like him.

I accidentally did that on the American servers though -_- maybe it won't matter, since there are free rotational characters, I can move between them if any one on here wants to play.

Never mind, it's on Europe. 

I got the star craft guy you have in the tutorial as my first character. Really like him.

He's free to play every single rotation so unfortunately that gold could have been better spent, sorry.

He's free to play every single rotation so unfortunately that gold could have been better spent, sorry.

are you sure Raynor's unlocked all the time? I wasn't aware of that?

there's a what i consider a good bundle for beginners of Him, Mafurion, & Muradin plus a stim pack(bonus xp & gold), all of whom are very well balanced and competitive heroes

Also rumour has it there's going to be a sale on tuesday/wednesday. Idk if that includes the starter bundle though, because that might allready considered as discounted

Well he's not free to play right now...hence why I bought him.

I think I like the ranged guys the most. I have enough gold for Jaina( ?) the frost mage, or I might save up for Silvanas just because I like the character.

Both are very solid now. Jaina is a great burst character but can get caught out of position so easily, Silv has a lot of viable builds and while she will never do the burst of Jaina she has a really good escape. I'd also highly recommend Valla atm, she has a good variety of skill, a lot of freedom in how you can build her, including 2 powerful ultimates and a decent escape

sidenote:

Actual best hero(s)

Well he's not free to play right now...hence why I bought him.

I think I like the ranged guys the most. I have enough gold for Jaina( ?) the frost mage, or I might save up for Silvanas just because I like the character.

Oh, I do apologise. That's how it was during the beta, they've since changed it. I was going on old information.

Raynor's a great buy, strong and not too complicated. Valla is also excellent.

I practiced with Silvana, and she seems really interesting. If I play enough, maybe I'll spend the £7.99 on her. 

Wait and play a character on free before buying. You will save yourself a lot of gold that way.

Wait and play a character on free before buying. You will save yourself a lot of gold that way.

The trick is always spend gold on the heroes that are in the lower price bracket, try the more expensive ones when they are free and if you really like them pic one up in a sale.

I have also recently gotten into the hots train - I initially was super interested in chogall and that went fine. I am impressed generally how nice (quiet) people are when playing

But gameplay isnt landing, feels clunky and not very deep. Perhaps I need to play more, but how to gain advantage is unclear except by simply playing better/lord matchups - even after double digit kill leads and several forts down the other team was still just as powerful and almost same level.

I've also been playing dota from before all stars - the hots style wasnt something I needed to get into the genre

I'll keep it around for quick games, but won't be spending any money - the in game money accurement is bonkers too. 30g per game? Even with daily quests would be weeks before buying a top price lord

the in game money accurement is bonkers too. 30g per game? Even with daily quests would be weeks before buying a top price lord

Yeah that's my main problem with the game. In fairness to them, though, that's how it works in LoL too.

Edit: Oh, you do know you get gold for levelling player account and hero levels too, right?

But gameplay isnt landing, feels clunky and not very deep. Perhaps I need to play more, but how to gain advantage is unclear except by simply playing better/lord matchups - even after double digit kill leads and several forts down the other team was still just as powerful and almost same level.

I've also been playing dota from before all stars - the hots style wasnt something I needed to get into the genre

I'll keep it around for quick games, but won't be spending any money - the in game money accurement is bonkers too. 30g per game? Even with daily quests would be weeks before buying a top price lord

The rhythm of a Hots match tends to be dominated by talent tiers in particular lvl 10 (but also lvls 16 and 20.) 

If a team has a tier advantage it will very rarely loose a engagement if both teams play well, but if it has a level but not a tier advantage it can still very easily loose a engagement.So the correct tactic at this point for the team which is behind is to split push/soak and look for a pickoff. The one thing i find myself shouting at people in QM all the time is "they have 10, back off and soak"

The fun part of higher level play come from very map specific picks and play that other Lords Managements don't have, so in a way it can take alot more time to become aparant

Yeah that's my main problem with the game. In fairness to them, though, that's how it works in LoL too.

Edit: Oh, you do know you get gold for levelling player account and hero levels too, right?

Overall i haven't found the F2P aspects too bad, the one thing they seem aware of its that people need to be able to build a good roster of heroes from the heroes that cost the lower gold amounts and to be able to get gold from levelling up at both a fairly early stage (lvl5) and after playing it a while (lvl9).

There was a period where they very fairly came in for some criticism for not properly tuning new heroes who came in and dominated the meta (leoric, Johanna & Kael), but that seems to have been put behind them and recently new heroes though having a definte place in the meta have not been instant first picks

But gameplay isnt landing, feels clunky and not very deep. Perhaps I need to play more, but how to gain advantage is unclear except by simply playing better/lord matchups 

That's what I like about it. Every time I die, I've known exactly what I did wrong. Every time I kill someone, I know how I could have done it better, and how they could have avoided it. Cutting out all the guff of buying items, levelling individually and worrying about last hits makes the interactions more interesting in my opinion. 

I like that it's simplistic, but deep enough that if there's a clear difference in skill between two players, the better player will always win.

Someone picked Cho'gal in a minor league Heroes tourney and sorta wrecked house with him. Don't think people initially thought hed be viable because he has so many counters but its seems hes the new surprise last pick

Woah, I tried Jaina and got my ass handed to me. She's much more squishy than the other heroes I've played as.

I don't think it helped that I also experienced my first hard counter. A stealth guy who I could just not get away from and killed me every time he found me.

Zeratule eats squishes. Nomnom. Also, add me on battle net! Dibs1306

Blizz made their biggest change to the games meta since beta (and some people are arguing since alpha) last patch by changing the power curve 

As a result of these changes, all Heroes will have more power early, but gain less from each level.

this means basically assassins are waaaaaaaay more deadly early game, they also increased death timers which means death matter more. Kinda a tough time to be learning a new hero :D

Anyways as a result of the scaling change and a change made to a talent called gathering power which gains you %dmg per hero kill, Zeratul and a couple of other assassins now have quite strong (if very high risk because you loose all stacks on death) snowball potential

also btw I (& osmo) are on the thumbs id spreadsheet so feel free to add your battlenet to the list or add us

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9197-consolidated-id-exchange/

maybe we should arrange a Heroes night or something I'm happy to help people get to know the game a bit better

I will go through and add everyone when I get home from work. 

Really tempted to buy a hero or two since it's 50% off at the moment. £10 seems pretty reasonable for 2 heroes, just not sure which 2 I'd like the most. Sylvanas because she's awesome and something else. Or maybe I should go with a pack...