melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

I received a PS4 and copy of Bloodborne for a Christmas/birthday gift (same thing for me). Hoo boy, I'm about 7-8 hours deep so far, and I'm really really loving it. I'm just constantly on the edge of my seat, from one encounter to the next, with my jaw always hanging agape at the sheer grimy ghastliness of everything. I haven't played the game yet which can hold a candle in terms of enemy design. It's just ticking all of the boxes for me, and I can't wait to play more.

There're maybe one or two TINY gripes I have with it. First thing is probably the frequency with which enemies drop items - often! - which is slowing down my explorations a little, and reminding me above all of rummaging in bins playing Bioshock Infinite. The second is that the menus, while lovely to look at, don't seem as functional as the ones in Dark Souls 2. Like I said, super petty complaints.

I just beat another boss tonight, and I'm about 10ish hours into the game. It's really grown on me, after some early initial frustration. It's still got quite a few fun surprises, and I am liking the challenge a lot. I think that the blood vial system hasn't seemed too silly, I have quite a few in storage, and the game rewards you with enough that I haven't had to grind much. Also, as a person who can be impatient sometimes, the frenzy system is nice for not punishing me too much when I take some hit from a dumb interstitial enemy. I haven't played any of the Souls games, so I'm actually interested in seeing how they compare once I make my way through Bloodborne

I sort of wish they had done something more with the Frenzy system. Something a bit different. In mechanical terms, it's not much different to Bleed in the other Souls games; I mean, it does become more of a problem later on in a way that Bleed rarely was - but I sort of wish it took a different form, beyond 'bar fills up and then you take a huge amount of damage when it pops'. That and the insight system were the things I wish were fleshed out a bit more (as it were).

Unrelatedly, one thing I'd really like to know and can't seem to find info on anywhere: does having a PS4 Pro affect performance at all in this game? It seems unlikely that From Software will put out an official patch, but I'd still be curious to know if anyone has noticed a more stable framerate on the latest machine. Though I would guess the number of people who've played this game enough to notice on both consoles is probably very small!

Frenzy is just dumb. It would be cool if like you built it up by looking at certain things, but it works the exact opposite way, it is more of a Medusa's gaze mechanic. The tools you have to ameliorate frenzy are also almost completely worthless because of how quickly it builds up. It's just one of those things that could have been cool, but is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Everything I've heard is that the game runs exactly the same on the PSPro (I have the old PS4 though so I have no personal knowledge).

2 hours ago, Cbirdsong said:

The regain system is what gives health back by attacking. You'll haaaaaate frenzy. We all do.

Oh whoops, I was mistaken! I haven't even encountered anything that causes this mechanic yet. : ( 

I've got to be honest, this game really just isn't grabbing me in the same way as other From titles have. It's not like I'm not having fun or anything, but I can already tell I'm not really interested in delving very deep into it. 

On that note, where on earth am I supposed to go after beating Rom?

I wonder how RubixsQube is doing with Bloodborne...?

I burned up Vicar Amelia, then got hopelessly lost for a long while. Eventually I found Hemwick Charnel Lane and did all that, but it was a dead end! Did a bit of grinding for blood vials (oh why oh why didn't they just use estus again), then some chalice dungeon, which was quite tough and not very rewarding, blood-echoes wise :/

The next day, I came back to the game determined to find the path forward, and eventually did, down a little alleyway near the Cathedral Ward. Dark spooky forest made me lose a lot of souls, but I persevered, killed a scary snake man, and finally *FINALLY* unlocked the shortcut they teased me with right at the start of the area. Having a great time with the game, not that you'd know it from the amount I curse while playing it. 

On 1/6/2017 at 5:07 PM, Kyir said:

I've got to be honest, this game really just isn't grabbing me in the same way as other From titles have. It's not like I'm not having fun or anything, but I can already tell I'm not really interested in delving very deep into it. 

On that note, where on earth am I supposed to go after beating Rom?

Yeah I remember that part is poorly telegraphed (i.e. it isn't at all really). There's a door that opens in an old church to the left of the area when exiting the cathedral where you fought Amelia.

Bummer you're not feeling it. It's still my favorite thing From has done since Demon's Souls!

So I've been having a fun time with the game, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to beat that spider, Rom. With the other bosses, I could tell that my own skill was the issue, but with Rom, it mostly seems like a bad boss. I haven't spent like, Nick Breckon amounts of time attempting to fight it, because I don't really have Nick Breckon levels of patience. It seems as if there is no real strategy to the fight except to be lucky that one of the little spiders doesn't kill you, or that you can dodge some of the falling projectiles, or that Rom teleports close enough to you that you don't have to deal with the falling projectiles. My buddy told me to ring a bell to summon a friendly player, but the game's been out forever, I doubt many people are itching to help me fight that spider.

Otherwise, I think the game is really fantastic, and I've been loving the mood and atmosphere. The level of difficulty has been robust but doable. Until tonight. Bah. A bad boss makes me less interested in trying to go back and play as a result, too! 

I didn't particularly enjoy the Rom fight, but I did do it yesterday. With my level at about 65, and Ludwig's sword upgraded to +6, he wasn't too bad. The little spiders were very damaging to me and it's definitely best to keep moving so you'll hopefully avoid the leaping attack they do. If Rom rolls on his back, it's an AOE so run away. When he sends ice chunks crashing down, run in a straight line 'cos they don't track. That's probably a good time to actually close the distance to Rom. I didn't try to kill every spider, but if there were a few clumped together I'd wipe them out. 

Keep moving, and good luck!

First time I fought her I just wailed on her until she died without any problem whatsoever, and I didn't understand why everyone found her so hard.

Second time I fought her I realized I was just really lucky the first time.

I just patiently would isolate one or two of the little spiders, and once I cleared them out (or there were just one or two stragglers) I would wail on Rom herself. I think a lot of people might find that boring, but I found it was a relaxing, enjoyable fight. Of course I've also heard from people that had a lot of trouble dodging the projectile attack, so I could see that being an issue for some people. It didn't cause me any problems, but I don't remember doing anything special to dodge it, but some people feel like it is impossible to dodge. I wish I knew what I was doing specifically for that.

I beat Rom tonight by calling in a Cooperator. Somewhere, hopefully RayZar_X knows how helpful he was. Thank you, RayZar_X.

MjNcWsB.png

Afterwards I decided to help out other people, which ended up being super fun. Fighting the Shadows of Yharnam with two other random people is really fun. 

I've always enjoyed offering my help on bosses in Souls games. It's a great way to learn the boss in a low-risk situation so you can go into your own game and solo it.

I was rooting for you, Rubixs! Wish I had (the money to have) PSN so I could get in on this co-op action, but alas. 

Where're you headed after Byrgenwerth? I think once the blood moon rises, things change all over the place. I don't know if it's correct but I went to Cainhurst, which was interesting. 

3 hours ago, Trip Hazard said:

I was rooting for you, Rubixs! Wish I had (the money to have) PSN so I could get in on this co-op action, but alas. 

Where're you headed after Byrgenwerth? I think once the blood moon rises, things change all over the place. I don't know if it's correct but I went to Cainhurst, which was interesting. 

You can see where I went in the twitch recording (warning: I curse and get pretty salty, but make up for it with enthusiasm later in the run), but I went to Yahar'Gul Unseen Village, which, it turns out, really, really rewards Nick Breckon style play, and not the careful methodical approach I've learned to take throughout. At one point, I was just going in again and again attempting to try to slowly drag my (+40k) blood echoes that I had accrued out to a place where I could get back to the Hunter's Dream and spend them, and at one point I found myself attacked to within a millimeter of my life before pulling it out and rescuing the echoes. Pretty exciting. I think that I'll finish this area and then try both Cainhurst and then the Nightmare Frontier. I went to the latter for a second only to discover that it immediately opens me up to PvP, and someone came and completely flattened me without my understanding. I hear Cainhurst is fun, though! I have the summons, so I can go, but I kind of want to seek vengeance in Yahar'Gul first. I stream a few nights a week, and while I don't have as large a following as Nick, I do think I show about as much emotion as he does. And I explore a bit more than he does, I think. 

I spent a bunch of time trying to fight this Hunter who waits in the Cathedral after beating up the Crow Lady (Hoonter of Hoonters), slowly baiting him down the stairs to kind of control his movement, and, well...this happened

Don't worry, I ended up getting it right on the next attempt, although I had an accident with the Crow Lady just afterwards.

I am really liking this game. I've just gotten confident enough and at a high enough level to help out other hunters with boss fights, and I started the DLC, which is a significant step up in terms of difficulty, and seems really expansive. 

That dude is maybe the toughest fight in the main game. Not as though as the first boss of the DLC who is an absolute NIGHTMARE ON EVERY CONCEIVABLE LEVEL.

Also is your TV kinda high up? It looks like you have to keep your head at an odd angle in that video.

The TV is at a normal height; I kind of sit right in front of my TV when playing, since that's the only way I can get my stupid green-screen set up to work without purchasing a ps4 camera extension cable. I kind of like how it makes it look like I'm looking up at the action on the screen instead of staring straight forward. It's a little weird, and if I play for like, three hours it can be pretty rough on my legs, but it works fairly well.

Balls, I meant to watch your stream and then life got in the way. Haven't played BB for ages cos of Ratchet and Clank, but I'll be on it tonight. Going West, to the Nightmare Frontier

Edit: Bloodborne happened, for four hours, until 2am. It was a very productive session and I would have happily carried on, but I started to feel guilty for playing so long. Spoilers to follow:

1. I explored the last corner of the Nightmare Frontier and fought a boss there. It was a bit of an awkward fight, and I didn't exactly finesse it, but I triumphed with liberal usage of blood vials.
  2. Went to Yahar'gul, which had changed a bit since I was last there. Now there were knotted masses of skeletons dragging themselves around the streets, seemingly without purpose. What do they here? I murderised them all with the help of an NPC phantom I found. And then I murderised another big boss which plopped out of the moon.
  3. After this, I took a little trip back to Cainhurst, to visit my old pal Annalise (I still don't want your blood, thanks,  I've got to drive home).

Only, Alfred had gotten there first, and made rather a mess.

1. Back to Yahar'gul, and I touched a caged man which took me back to the lecture building. Not much of note here, except I found Patches. I didn't have the heart to kill him - he's already a massive spider, and that seems punishment enough. There's still the question of whom, or what, bestowed this form upon him...
  2. Another Nightmare! This time concerning something called Mensis? It may have been mentioned but I've forgotten. Anyway, this area was pretty short and easy, and linear, until you get to Mergo's Loft, where things get interesting. Spiders are bastards. Spent a lot of time exploring the loft. Some tough bits, mostly not too bad. How do I (can I?) get to that thing I saw as I approached which glowed and caused my frenzy to constantly rise? The answer lies at the summit, I'm sure. What is that baby crying for? What happened to this woman with blood all down her front? What's going to be in this pram? OH SURPRISE IT'S A BOSS.
  3. Killed the boss. Boss was easy.
  4. Explore for ages and ages, trying to get to the glowy frenzy thing. Hello, this lift has a broken door, I can get out when it's moving. Fuck me, not you guys again, I had enough of you when I went West. Stop sending me West! Killed them all, pulled this lever and...OOPS.

I returned to the Hunter's dream after that and everything is on fire. Gehrman wants to have a word with me under the great tree. I'd hate to keep him waiting, but I'm definitely going to keep him waiting, for ages and ages :P

Editx2 hey what happened to my numbered list?

Also Trip Hazard, it looks like you went through a bunch of the game that I made my way through before stopping (right around your number 2 - 3 there, I beat the boss with a big cage on his head but didn't go past that) and moving on to the DLC, which is very, very hard, and I have to parcel it out slowly since I get so damn frustrated by it. 

Cage boss is Micolash, I think. It's sorta like fighting the rabbit from Super Mario 64, if the rabbit were a host of nightmares (and who's to say it isn't?)

I wanted to do the DLC before finishing up, so I'm on that now. I'm overleveled for it, I think, but it's still bastard hard. I do enjoy fighting hunters though, and there are plenty of those to go around.

Edit: I thought you did very well to keep your composure in that clip :P I would have thrown my toys right the fuck out of my pram