melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Digital Foundry has some test numbers up for the patch, respawn times for many areas after death/bold mark are even more improved than original loading times, with some areas loading more than 50 percent faster. 

Also, some of the unlisted changes include a nerf to the cannon making it cost 12 bullets per shot, reduction in bullet cost of some of the arcane hunter tools, the Forbidden Woods skip is closed and people are reporting that getting PvP/Co-op connections are much faster (though this just might be post-patch placebo effect). 

I decided to try out the Rapier with the gun attachment. It's pretty ok. I wish it hit as hard as the long sword mode for Ludwig, but it's fun to use. Unfortunately, it's terrible at dealing with multiple enemies, so I'd like another weapon to compliment it, any recommendations?

Axe!  I <3 the axe so much. 

I thought about that, but I settled on the

Scythe

It's just so fucking cool.

Yeah, I unlocked that and haven't gone back to Bloodborne since. It looks really badass.  Figured I'd let it settle in for a bit before picking it back up, plus I wanted to directly compare/contrast it to DS2. 

On a different topic, apparently there are some useful manuals hidden in the library in the Hunter's Dream.

post-33601-0-05838400-1429823998_thumb.jpg

"How to pick up fair maidens"

Oh god, a Bloodborne pickup artist guide? I guess *pause to put on sunglasses* they didn't take the Bloodborne blue pill.

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I really liked the suggestions for future settings of Souls games in this Paste article: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/5-places-bloodborne-should-go-next.html

Egypt in particular is an appealing suggestion. I'd also love to see the series go in a scifi direction--maybe a Fallout/STALKER-style irradiated post-apocalyptic wasteland, or a Dead Space style space station gone wrong. I'd also love to play this style of game in a happy, sunny, not at all creepy or evil world, but I admit I'm not sure how you'd mix that with the Souls mechanics. Mario Souls? Koopaborne?

I think I'm fine letting From do literally whatever they want at this point. But also I'm fully in the camp of believing that the Souls games' mechanics can absolutely be employed in a more light-hearted setting. A much more light-hearted setting. I'd absolutely play that.

It's sort of a dream of mine to one day prove this in the most extreme manner by making a Looney-Tunes-esque game with this kind of deliberate action and punishing but not unfair gameplay, and also with musical combat and movement cues.

That said, I really enjoyed that the final final boss was

in the Hunter's Dream. It was so pretty and a huge contrast to basically every other area. I like these games a lot but I hate staring at DARK DARK DARK shit all the time.

Also, I... well I'll just copy the thing I said in IRC because I'm lazy:

<Twig> okay i beat bloodborne
<Twig> in a rather hilarious (to me) manner
<Twig> first: while talking to the dude i accidentally attacked because i set the controller on my lap and hit the attack button and it started the fight
<Twig> so i dunno what he even was going to say
<Twig> and then when i beat the final final boss i died to like a bloodsplosion post boss death
<Twig> and so i lost ALL 230000 ECHOES
<Twig> when i went to pick them back up the end of game cutscene started
<Twig> gg no re
<Twig> etc

<Twig> i could've used those echoes to buy all the equipment i was missing ):

Yeah, I unlocked that and haven't gone back to Bloodborne since. It looks really badass.  Figured I'd let it settle in for a bit before picking it back up, plus I wanted to directly compare/contrast it to DS2. 

On a different topic, apparently there are some useful manuals hidden in the library in the Hunter's Dream.

attachicon.gifJXARIz6.jpg

"How to pick up fair maidens"

That book lol.

It's a fun weapon to use. It's kinda slow to start with, but you can pull off some long combos that rack up damage fast.

I had a hilarious duel last night. I shot someone as they attacked me, trying to stun them for a visceral, but the timing was off. The opponent must have assumed I got the correct timing as they just stood there. We both looked at each other expecting the other to do something for a second. 

She dodged back, I dodged forward and spammed attack until she died.

Kinda off-topic, but I'd love to see an Ancient Rome game, other than strategy games, no one has ever done that well.. I think a Mass Effect style game would probably suit it best.

I've wondered about a sci-fi style Souls game before, but logistically I can't quite see how it works.  You'd have to find a way to handwave away powerful ranged weapons, because they just don't fit with how these games play.  All the Souls games are already taking place in post-collapse societies (or during the collapse), so I suppose you could go with some massive EMP wiping out most tech. 

The issues I have with Science Souls are kind of core to the experience: a futuristic environment without guns is kinda silly. Souls games with guns as more than an accessory weapon would be a completely different game.

I could see a Dead Space-style Souls game, where you're largely facing alien threats in which ranged weapons have limited, specific usefulness. Futuristic space stuff is much more a backdrop than the star of those games, which I think could work for Souls.

You could just set it in a sci-fi setting on the decline, as these games often are. Ammo for crazy ranged weapons/magic equivalent is limited because there just isn't a lot of it left in the world.

I think there are a lot of ways a sci-fi setting could work just fine. You could have projectile weapons like in Bloodborne that just aren't that powerful with little to no explanation.  Possibly a Dead Space-style explanation, where there aren't really proper "guns", but you can find tools that serve that fire objects out.  Or maybe From could even find a way to make laser guns or whatever that fit within the feel of their combat system.  Mostly I just want to play a Souls game with a lightsaber.

For me, the biggest obstacle to transporting this series to a different setting is the story justification for being in a place where there are lots of bad guys and boss monsters, most of whom you are expected to kill, most of which will respawn repeatedly.  That's why I thought the most likely scenario for a sci-fi souls would be irradiated wasteland (eliminates most friendly humans, transforms creatures into scary beasts) or a ruined space station (mystical space stuff serving the same purpose as radiation).  Although I suppose I can't say I actually understand how Bloodborne or any of the other games in the series explain how the world is the way it is, aside from vague details about humanity/beasts/the blood/hollowing, it's never meant much to me.

Well, the guns in Bloodborne don't seem to do much damage. Is that ever explained?

Most people thought that was the case initially, but the Evelyn, Repeater, Reiterpallasch and Cannon (obvs) can all do significant damage, and the Rifle Spear to a lesser extent.  It's just most builds don't end up maximizing for ranged damage because it makes more sense to focus on your melee weapons.

Thinking about it, Space Souls would easily work on a massive Generation Ship that housed a utopian society.  A society like that would reject, or just not possess, advanced weaponry but would probably still have things that could be repurposed as weapons or have weapons that were primarily used for sport.  A location like that would also easily allow for the kind of interweaving level design people love about portions of the Souls games. 

I've wondered about a sci-fi style Souls game before, but logistically I can't quite see how it works.  You'd have to find a way to handwave away powerful ranged weapons, because they just don't fit with how these games play.  All the Souls games are already taking place in post-collapse societies (or during the collapse), so I suppose you could go with some massive EMP wiping out most tech.

Dune has the first problem solved at least.

Fucking Miyazaki and the references in these games.  Reading more fan theories, ran across this one.  Oedon is the formless one worshiped by the church.  Oedipism is the "Auto-enucleation (oedipism) and other forms of serious self-inflicted eye injury are an extremely rare form of severe self-harm that usually results from mental illnesses involving acute psychosis.[2] The name comes from Oedipus of Greek mythology, who gouged out his eyes in penance for having sex with his mother and killing his father."

It certainly seems like Oedon and Oedipism are both derived from Oedipus, particularly given the focus on the game with eyes and the relationship of blindness/self-eye damage in Oedipus.

Ummmm, also, don't search for auto-enucleation, not unless you're really in the mood to see some gross shit.

For me, the biggest obstacle to transporting this series to a different setting is the story justification for being in a place where there are lots of bad guys and boss monsters, most of whom you are expected to kill, most of which will respawn repeatedly.  

They also justify (or at least acknowledge) the player dying and coming back over and over, and I'd want to retain that.

So, Paranoia Souls, in which everyone is rapidly cloned over and over? There are probably a ton of good sci-fi ways to do that, actually, like having your consciousness downloaded into a new robot body every time you die, etc.

edit: I like using robots in general, or you could justify a lot of Soulsy mechanics in a Matrix-esque virtual world.

I could see a good science fantasy setting, a la Gene Wolfe or Jack Vance, working pretty well. Would play.

A Mass Effect pew pew laser guns thing? No.

After beating the game I decided it was time to do some chalice dungeons for real and so I did that and now I think I'm on Central Pthumeran chalice, whatever the Third Depth is. Suddenly got hard! Also traps everywhere! The traps actually make the dungeons a lot more fun, I think. So hurray!

I've dropped using the ludwig's blade in favor of blades of mercy. I also bought a scythe and have been trying that out although I'm not sure I like it yet? I dunno. Once it's more fully upgraded to proper +9 (or +10 which I guess I can do now since I'm running around in chalice dungeons, just need to find the material) I'll have a better idea, I think.

I really wanna get those beast claws, though. It could be fun? Will be different, though. They seem to encourage aggressive play even more than the temp health loss mechanic.

A Gene Wolfe style Souls game would utterly decimate my life.

Right? The cryptic and oblique nature of the two would be a natural fit.

I have 40 Ritual blood (3). Fucking 40 and only 6 (4).

If anyone has a chalice dungeon with a buttload of (4), post the glyph!

146 hours, a month, and 3 game clears later I've got my Bloodborne platinum!

I still have 2 more runs in mind, but I'm going to force myself to play some other things for a little while.

Congrats! I'm still slogging through the chalice dungeons. I did beat the hardest boss ever last night- Dr. RNG. Finally had the last three ritual blood (4) drops!

I'm at the point where I'm almost done with it, I think I have about 60 hours logged, but I need to play something else.