melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

they have good taste

What a nice surprise :) although if its anything like the Dark Souls 2 beta/server test which was only playable for 2 hours on certain days when i was otherwise engaged i may not even get to try it

"Chosen Undead"

Don't trust their lies.

Dark Souls was really just an allegory for the exploitation of naive QA testers who repeatedly play the same sections of game for no net progress by the people in charge who are desperate just to stay in business for one more financial quarter.

GAMES CRITIQUE

So, i've just recieved this email about participating in the Beta AGAIN, when they never even sent me a code in the first place. Rub salt in to the wound why don't you Sony

But upon clicking this link, logging in and accepting the terms and conditions i found i had a voucher code waiting for me. If you requested to join the Beta previously you may too

I've redeemed my code hopefully it'll download next time i start up my Playstation 4 as its not in my download list :-? Anyway...

The Alpha Test will be open for a limited time on the following day:
Sunday October 19th 19:00~22:00 (CET), 18:00~21:00 (BST)

I'll be there (Actually, i'll probably be watching strictly come dancing)

Bonus humourers video:

Almost forgot!

Just played about 35minutes of it. Little strange to start with, getting used to the speed, trying to get my head around what it is... it's dark souls on speed. And it's glorious.

Super fun, still hard as nails, I died a lot, mostly through being complacent. The controls are fantastic, they've streamlined the souls controls, you can access everything in a very intuitive way without having to use a inventory menu. A grenade/projectile button is a very welcome edition, I'll actual use bombs now!

Multiplayer works like journey(!?), seems as though there are other players sharing your game world. I bumped into a few and got into some scrapes with huge tank enemies that almost require co-op to take them on, lots of baiting and distracting whilist your partner goes in. At one point I was in a posse of three wrecking shit. It's like they've made a game using the most fun parts of the souls games and it really works.

Ya'll need to play this game. I really think it's going to be something very special.

That's super exciting!  I would have just taken more Dark Souls, but hearing it is getting some welcome refinements is good news.

As much as i enjoyed Dark Souls 2 the difference in quality here is enormous. Obviously Bloodborne is on a more powerful system so it can do nicer effects etc but seriously every design element here is in another league.

All the souls game staples that you know and love are here with refinements, which makes me scratch my head when i think back on Dark souls 2, why weren't these easy and obvious refinements implemented?

If it wasn't for the 'souls' framework, Dark Souls 2 would've been hot garbage. The game is just an expansion pack anyway when you see what and how they could've improved on the formula. Seems as though the team was tasked with making new levels and new enemies... that's it.

I wonder how much communication these two teams had, if any. I also wonder if they purposely held back refinements so that Bloodborne would feel like more of an improvement/departure.

Multiplayer works like journey(!?), seems as though there are other players sharing your game world. I bumped into a few and got into some scrapes with huge tank enemies that almost require co-op to take them on, lots of baiting and distracting whilist your partner goes in. At one point I was in a posse of three wrecking shit. It's like they've made a game using the most fun parts of the souls games and it really works.

By this do you mean there is passive co-op? That's interesting, but I hope they can balance the AI for it. Summoning seemed to break a lot of boss battles in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls since they appear carefully designed for a single player. It was noticeable on occasion when they couldn't seem to make up their mind about who to attack.

So, you have two bells in your inventory. There was no explaination on them and ringing them didn't really do anything... Maybe by ringing one puts you into a shared world. Or maybe ringing it just brings attention to nearby players in your world. I'm sure it'll explained on the BB Wiki.

I didn't reach a boss but I did fight against a couple if sub-boss big dudes, whilist with another player. A lot if their attacks were big sweeping or spinning attacks. They felt more robust then DS enemies with like 7/8 different moves at their disposal, some big hits and charges meant to attack a single person and serveral crowd control moves

Here's an explanation

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/01/ps4-exclusive-bloodbornes-online-co-op-features-detailed-by-alpha-manual/

So it works like the old summoning, but it's all done automatically on the fly. I guess. I rang lots of bells :) so I can't tell if I was hosting all the time, but it was all seamless.

OK it sounds similar to Dark Souls soapstones, except it must be matching people up randomly instead of leaving/finding marks on the ground. I guess they are trying to further distance people from meeting up with their friends, unless there is another item for that not in the alpha.

I'm torn on that mechanic: on the one hand, part of what makes Souls games great is the uncertainty/feeling exposed at all times, but on the other hand playing with friends makes most games better. It's kind of fascinating how far afield Souls goes from what seems like the conventional wisdom in re multiplayer.

Also, fuck this looks good. When I was a kid playing Castlevania (or a teenager playing Symphony of the Night) this is pretty much what I imagined. Also, shades of Vampire Hunter D and all that.

Bloodborne is coming in a week guys. It's looking like it's going to be a completely different beast from the Souls series, and it looks like it'll be amazing.

To be honest, my main worry is that it's going to feel a bit more hack 'n' slash-y than the Souls series, due to the whole blood system, but I hope that Miyazaki knows better than to let that happen. 

This is a nice preview that Keza MacDonald wrote for it: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/03/16/dark-souls-death-bloodborne-killing

I wasn't really expecting to play Bloodborne. In Tommy Wiseau's definition, I'm just a "chicken, chip chip chip chip", I'm not very fond of scary games, and I remember Demon's Souls being quite scary at times, never finished it.

But I decided to watch two Bloodborne boss battles and I think there's no going back now, I really want this. I'll discuss the battles in the spoilers, so don't open it if you want to have surprises ruined when playing the game.

Here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEsZi0kbRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbH4GpMMMdQ

That Vicar fight is just too damn good. It's poetically disturbing, the weaving fur and beautiful soundtrack mixed with the anger and suffering that the creature is having is something else, truly unique. It's so visceral.

The Father Gascoigne battle is specially unique because, as some NeoGaffers said, the music box used by the player belonged to Father Gascoigne and his wife, and listening to it triggers the memories of the boss past, before being plagued, hence why he gets disturbed by it. It's fantastically depressing, not really the most original thing, but it's done with a subtlety that I often enjoy, but it's so uncommon in games. I need this game now, just have to grow some balls.

I preordered a physical copy. 

I never preorder. I never buy physical. What's wrong with me? I think I just did it in the hope it comes a day early  :getmecoat

Not been this excited for a game in years!

I wasn't really expecting to play Bloodborne. In Tommy Wiseau's definition, I'm just a "chicken, chip chip chip chip", I'm not very fond of scary games, and I remember Demon's Souls being quite scary at times, never finished it.

Weird, I hate horror games too, I loathe being scared by a game, but I never found the Souls games to be scary at all. They make me anxious and I get all the standard stress responses, but never fear.

So did I. I went one step worse though, I ordered the GAME exclusive special edition. I hate myself so much right now.

15803929209_9470af6014_b.jpg

It'll be worth it. right?

I never preorder. I never buy physical. What's wrong with me? I think I just did it in the hope it comes a day early :getmecoat

Not been this excited for a game in years!

Weird, I hate horror games too, I loathe being scared by a game, but I never found the Souls games to be scary at all. They make me anxious and I get all the standard stress responses, but never fear.

Well, to be honest, I didn't quit Demon's Souls because of fear, it was mostly because I got stuck in a stage with a lot of those bugbears, I promised to try the game eventually but never did.

What scared me the most was the thought of encountering the Man Centipede. That's such a disgusting and disturbing enemy design.

However, I have a lot of problems with anxiety, I usually make things in my head way bigger than they actually are. So I might just be over exaggerating it, maybe it's not that bad? Hmm.

So did I. I went one step worse though, I ordered the GAME exclusive special edition. I hate myself so much right now.

It'll be worth it. right?

I came super close. I then had a moment of clarity and thought "fuck this useless junk."

I don't remember a lot of Demons' Souls. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Dark Souls, and I played it in a really shitty way where I would leave months between each level. It didn't grab me when I killed the first boss like Dark Souls grabbed me (although on my second attempt).