melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Is there any indication that this game is coming out in a year?  I wouldn't have a problem with bi-annual releases, though as long as the games are good which so far they have been I'll buy them even if they pump them out like an EA Sports game.  I also feel like this is probably going to be another souls game with the mist gate and all.  From was just recently purchased by Kadokawa and I wonder if that will have any impact on this game, though if it's been in development for a while it probably wont. 

I'm personally down with shotguns.

I hope this game is terrible so I don't need to buy a PS4.

That's not true, I hope it is very good, and I guess if it is, and is the game it appears to be, it will sell a ps4 despite my reluctance to buy a new console.

The mechanics in chromehounds pushed it toward being one of the best games of the generation, if ony the online hadn't been meh.

Oh man I spent a time in deep love with Chromehounds.

Also on the topic, if Project Beast ends up being a worthy entry into the souls franchise it will sell me a PS4.  A new entry into that franchise every year would burn me out real quick, though.  I could probably do every 2ish years.  However long it takes the core team (though that was recently shuffled for DaS2) to make another quality entry is a perfect amount of time between releases, if you ask me.

The idea of firearms with dark souls style lock on controls really turns me off, but if they incorporate some sort of improved control mechanics for shooting, I'm in.

I'm pissed that it's exclusive because it looks way more appealing to me (purely on a surface level) than anything I've seen of Demon's or Dark Souls and I really don't want to buy a dumb console.

That is a completely accurate and reasonable response!  Here's a

where someone put Demon's Souls music on top of it.  It's super good. 

I have given precisely zero fucks about buying a new console...this will cause me to start giving fucks.  Many of them. 

I'm still feeling pretty good about a dark souls "style" game coming out annually.

Bloodsouls

Beastborne

Bloodborne 

Looks good. Fucking Sony making me buy a PS4. This is why we can't have nice things!

Between the leaked stuff and that cg trailer, I'm on board.  I don't really need a Souls game per se, just something with the same design philosophy behind it. 

The weapon he's carrying is called a saw cleaver.  Which is kind of a terrifying thing.  It also has a resemblance to the halberd thing that the big mummy things carry in DS2 in the Lost Bastille. 

Double Post!  Just saw this on Reddit, apparently there is a Famitsu article on it in Japan:

Bloodborne is the cover story of this week's Famitsu, and there's an interview with Miyazaki in it as well. Here are some details reported by a Japanese blog who got the magazine early.

• Spring 2015 release window
  • They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony's new hardware
  • The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
  • They're targeting 30fps at 1080p
  • The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
  • There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
  • Character customization is confirmed
  • There will be no map display in the game
  • He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
  • The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
  • There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together

Yes, yes, but how many weapons and levels will there be in the game? How many polygons per character model? Give us the pertinent facts.

I've just read on twitter there's still a stamina bar and they're yet to figure out what the consequences of death will be

Also, torches confirmed! I saw a bullshot of bloodbro holding a lit touch in his off hand, glad to see the promise of DS2's torch come to fruition

Looks like there are some hands on impressions starting to float around today, but I haven't had the chance to check any of them out yet.

Stolen from gaf

- Action RPG

- PS4 Exclusive. (Sony IP)

- Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls

- No easier difficulty. Targeting the same level of difficulty as Demon's Souls.

- Game length will be around the same as Souls games.

- Visually one of the most impressive current gen games.

- Targeting 1080p 30fps. Game is still early so currently has framerate issues, devs have acknowledged this and said will be ironed out.

- Bloodborne was started by the team who developed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls after they finished work on the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

- Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist, can customize character and stats like previous souls games.

- From Software says it's going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls (Blood?) and returning to a safe zone once again.

- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities

- City is called Yharnam, it's massive, looks like London back in the 19th century

- game will take place during various times of day and weather.

- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."

- City is very densely layered. 'More complex than Thief'

- When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II

- The zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 (conflicts with the above point?)

- Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies? A: You will feel alone.

- But the game has NPC's, can choose to save or ignore some that are in trouble.

- Ragdolls are in

- Fog gates are in

- Cloth physics

- Monsters bleed where you slice them.

- Some areas are really dark, you'll need a torch to navigate.

- There will be no map display in the game

- No shields, focus on faster action.

- There are less weapons overall, but he thinks the depth of each of those actually available make up for that difference.

- Still tons of weapons and armor to collect

- Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.

- Bladed weapon in right hand is referred to as a 'Sawcleaver'

- Firearms are more useful defensively, to stun enemies, giving you time to back up or create counter-attack opportunities.

- If you hit an enemy's torch they get set on fire.

- You cannot play this the same way as Demon's Souls'. Have to be more aggressive.

- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element.

- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle.

- Enemies are not static spawns, but walk around and can come from anywhere (behind crates etc).

- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast".

- Blood a key focus and is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits.

- They said the Virus(bloodborned) has progressions.

- You get blood sucking it from corpses or items.

- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play.

- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together. As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

There was some interesting talk on the GiantBomb late night show about bosses coming out of nowhere in areas you wouldn't expect them then locking you into the area with fog gates for a fight and it seemed like the idea was to make you feel uncomfortable and tense in areas you typically wouldn't in a Souls game.

On the shotgun stun, Patrick elaborated more on it saying that there was something like the concept on a front stab where you can lock into a heavy attack after a shotgun strike in the same way you can circle around behind enemies in the Souls games to give you a backstab.

Patrick also mentioned that you will not be able to gear for tanking like in the Souls games, so no heavy armours either.

Urgh why is the player so bad?

All those bullet points sound just gravy. Can't wait to see some serious impressions from people who played a lot of De/DaS

Yeah... I now know I will end up with a PS4 sooner than later.

Countdown until Microsoft unveils something I can't live without starts now, I guess.

Damn these video games.