syntheticgerbil

Jerkiest Main Characters in Video Games

Of course, I only had a Nick level of understanding of succession...

I think the proper term is "Breckonian".

I was going to submit Renegade Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, who is a jerk but also a petulant child, but then I had one better. Remember Agent Mike Thorton from Alpha Protocol? With him, it isn't just one path on the dialogue tree that's jerky. Your best hope for being a good person is to stick with "professional" choices and vacillate between brusque and unpleasant. If you ever make the mistake of choosing "suave" (perverted) or "aggressive" (psychotic) then you deserve the outcome you get. I didn't have to look long on YouTube for a compilation video of Thorton being an abrasive asshole who's inexplicably charged with saving the world from another cold war:

I've never felt worse about having a video game character as a representation of me than when Thorton was taunting the villain for having a bullet in his gut that I put there.

That opening bit is great. The old guy gets roasted for thirty seconds and then doesn't even care to respond. Video games.

You know, we're all missing the obvious answer here.

I've never felt worse about having a video game character as a representation of me than when Thorton was taunting the villain for having a bullet in his gut that I put there.

This is so horrifying. All of that creepy misanthropic dialogue coming from that terrible plastic facial animation. I hope this is not what robots will become.