Badfinger

Idle Food - Cooking!

"Making chicken wings"? You'll have to be a little more specific than that.

Sorry. Taking raw chicken wings, cutting them up into wingettes and drumettes, marinating them, cooking them. Buffalo wing recipes. I don't have the capacity to deep fry them, so oven baked is probably my only way to go. I am wondering if anyone's done this and if they have tips because I am paranoid about fucking them up.

This is how I do mine -

To cut them, take the wing, bend back against the joint to get a feel of where the junction is, use kitchen shears to cut through. You can also use a chef's knife, though I usually cut through the bone by accident if I use a chef's knife since it's so sharp. I don't marinate them. I make sure to pat down the wings with paper towels to get them as dry as possible, then coat them with a flour mixture. You can season the flour however you like - I've used stuff like cayenne and garlic powder, or even garam masala or chinese five-spice if I'm feeling experimental. Once you've coated the wings with flour, put them in the fridge for about an hour before baking. Oven goes to 425º F, put them in for about 20-25 min. per side (40-50 min. total) based on how big the wings are.

For sauce, I usually do 1:1 hot sauce and butter. I've used Frank's Red Hot, Cholula, Louisiana Hot Sauce, Green Tobasco, you name it. Heat the sauce to melt the butter in it. Taste the sauce and use more or less butter based on how strong/mild you want it to be. Dip the wings once they're baked, if you like your wings particularly crispy you can add them back to the oven with broil/convection for 5 min with the sauce on them.

JonCole gives good advice!

I don't flour them, but i do add a ton of salt and pepper before they go in the oven. For me, the hot sauce is delicious, but optional, i just love salt and pepper chicken skin. nomnom.

I COULDN'T CONTAIN MYSELF AND I BOUGHT IT HELP

It's here! It's slick as hell and the app is neat. First test: cooking some big-ass steaks.

Eager to see your results, Badfinger. You should also try some sous vide poached eggs for breakfast too. Eggs are definitely my greatest desire for such a device.

My wife went away for the weekend so I decided to go on a shopping run so I could surprise her with a nice meal when she gets back. When she went to Sweden for the first time for her sister's wedding, her new father-in-law cooked some fish soup that she said was the best thing she ever ate. When I went there for Christmas this past year, I got a chance to try it and I thought I'd give it a go. I don't do very much cooking with fish, but I'm going to take a shot at it on Sunday. It's also the first time I bought saffron, which was like $15. :(

It's here! It's slick as hell and the app is neat. First test: cooking some big-ass steaks.

Don't forget you can seal in aromatics with the steaks. But don't do raw garlic, the water won't be hot enough to cook it and it'll taste wayyyy too raw.

I just did this really simply. Salt and pepper, seared for a minute on each side with butter basting (which I've never done before but isn't particularly complicated). Oven baked potato and veggies to finish the plate. Really happy with how it turned out for firing it up after work the day of delivery.

post-26470-0-31932700-1426305269_thumb.jpg

post-26470-0-94006300-1426305297_thumb.jpg

post-26470-0-59144600-1426305307_thumb.jpg

post-26470-0-99150800-1426305256_thumb.jpg

I didn't think to take any pictures of my Anova, but I made a couple of steaks with a basic seasoning mix that I like to use, with some extra rosemary. Didn't have a torch handy, so I seared each side in cast iron and yum!

Pretty cool packaging too.

Turkey chili and cornbread -

32yxf1R.png

I also made turkey chili this weekend!  But I forgot to get a picture.  It basically looks the same but with more meat (I like my chili meaty) and no cornbread.

How do you have more meat and not feel full after eating a few spoonfuls? I really like making chili, but I feel like if I eat more than a cup or two of it I feel super bloated. If anything, I was thinking about adding sweet potatoes or squash to mine to stretch the heartiness out even more.

I'm a big guy who can eat a lot.  Stuff like that barely fazes me.  I also have a really fast metabolism so pretty much no matter what I eat I'll be hungry again in a few hours.

I didn't think to take any pictures of my Anova, but I made a couple of steaks with a basic seasoning mix that I like to use, with some extra rosemary. Didn't have a torch handy, so I seared each side in cast iron and yum!

Pretty cool packaging too.

I was just excited enough about it that I wanted to show off a trip report. No gadget shaming here.

I was definitely on the fence of buyer's remorse, thinking about all the dumb kitchen gadgets one could buy and not use, and if this would be one of them. Then I used it three times this weekend. It's grown on me incredibly quickly. I'll have to cook some veggies to see how they do, because I'm curious how they come out.

Tried some eggs, it was very weird. The white was softer than the yolk. Not bad, but a different experience.

I visited my Indian friends and they made me dosa. It was so so tasty.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

Tonight I doubled this recipe to make a pile of eight okonamiyaki.  Two of them were dinner for my wife and I and the rest are in the freezer so that we are now never more than ten minutes away from delicious okonamiyaki whenever.  Although in practice we'll probably get super lazy about cooking for the rest of the week and just thaw them out and heat them up.

Did you know that grocery stores sell shredded cabbage for okonamiyaki in bags now? For some reason they're mislabeled as coleslaw mix but I figure it's probably an error in translation the same way the Disney dub of Pom Poko calls all the tanuki 'raccoons'.

If they're in your area, Korean and Japanese grocery stores are also super good for pre-prepped vegetables. For when you absolutely need japchae fast.

This weekend I got around to trying something a bit more difficult with my Anova. I took some red potatoes, chopped them up into cubes, put some frozen butter, garlic paste, bacon, and a sprig of rosemary in there and vacuum packed the whole thing. 183 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours and they were cooked perfectly, still just a little bit of body so they didn't just turn into mash, but quite tender. I think I might make a few smaller batches and throw them in the freezer for emergency side dishes. Well, at least as emergency as you can get when it requires 2-3 hours to cook. :)

If they're in your area, Korean and Japanese grocery stores are also super good for pre-prepped vegetables. For when you absolutely need japchae fast.

We have Thai grocery stores near us, I've yet to see any Korean or Japanese ones - but they still stock stuff like kewpie mayo, dashi powder, and bonito flakes.

This weekend I got around to trying something a bit more difficult with my Anova. I took some red potatoes, chopped them up into cubes, put some frozen butter, garlic paste, bacon, and a sprig of rosemary in there and vacuum packed the whole thing. 183 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours and they were cooked perfectly, still just a little bit of body so they didn't just turn into mash, but quite tender. I think I might make a few smaller batches and throw them in the freezer for emergency side dishes. Well, at least as emergency as you can get when it requires 2-3 hours to cook. :)

That sounds great!

Got 2 sandwhich bags of organic farm grown garlic, meaning it will probably not hold for a long time. It is a substantial amount. Any good ideas of how to get through it quickly before it all goes bad? I dont mind if it gives me bad breath.