Badfinger

Idle Food - Cooking!

Someone please explain what makes this either Chili or Cincinnati. I have never heard of this food before it came up in this thread, and am now slightly horrified.

FFS miffy, just look at wiki. Particularly, their chosen image for Cin Chilli really clears things up.

More obvious now?

1920px-Skyline_4-way.jpg

I'm starting to feel a little ill looking at those two pictures:(

...one time I had almost no food in the house and didn't feel like going out to get something, so I ate a whole bag of shredded cheese. It wasn't terrible.

Based on that experience... I would eat those.

God I forgot how much cheese there is on that.  Underneath all of it, Cincinnati style chili is the only food I've eaten thus far that looks the same going in as it does coming out (minus the noodles).

...one time I had almost no food in the house and didn't feel like going out to get something, so I ate a whole bag of shredded cheese. It wasn't terrible.

I've done that with spoonfuls of peanut butter but not cheese. Either way, I can respect that.

Someone please explain what makes this either Chili or Cincinnati. I have never heard of this food before it came up in this thread, and am now slightly horrified.

DAMMIT thread, look what you've done. You've ruined chili for Miffy by covering it in Cincinnati. Why would you destroy such a beautiful food?

We burnt our chili by falling asleep for hours instead of watching the crock pot...

That is probably the appropriate amount of cheese to overcome the char

I'm really sorry to say this, but sometimes i just can't imagine enjoying US food.

This is the 2nd google image for Cinncinnati chilli:(

CincinnitiChili2.jpg

Yeah that's horrible. I don't do that. A sprinkle of cheese and some onions and maybe some kidney beans. That's where it's at.

We're talking something like this, except I like more onions:

fuK1FiP.jpg

Yeah that's horrible. I don't do that. A sprinkle of cheese and some onions and maybe some kidney beans. That's where it's at.

We're talking something like this, except I like more onions:

fuK1FiP.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM want some

(don't personally like raw onions though so i wouldn't have any!!)

Ok, THAT looks like something I would happily eat. In fact, judging by the way my mum used to modify spaghetti sauce when I was a kid, she was basically making Cincinnati Chili using spaghetti sauce as a base.

On Sunday, after summer's over, I'm finally going to do the thing I've wanted to all summer - buy a cheese making kit, make mozzarella, and do some homemade pizza.

Anyone have a pizza dough recipe they like?

I've been making my own dough for months now and I still haven't found one that I like. I'm thinking about buying 00 flour as I heard that might help. I dunno.

I use one that I found in a cookbook -

2.25 cups bread flour

1 tsp yeast

1.5 tsp salt

0.75 cup warm water

1 tbsp olive oil

Sift flour, combine with yeast and salt, then combine with water and oil. Knead for 10 minutes (though I do less because my wimpy hands still can't knead for 10 minutes continuously) then rest at room temperature for a few hours at least, overnight is also fine.

So, i got a slow cooker. Chilli and pulled pork are the first two successes from it.

amH7T83.jpg

ba6n9H9.jpg

cRTS9H2.jpg

AoDi6NH.jpg

M6hU6uA.jpg

rXWWDVx.jpg

i made chili yesterday that came out pretty great - recipe below if anyone interested 

2lbs ground beef (90% lean if available)

1 tablespoon oil

2 cloves garlet minced

1 table spoon each -

• oregano
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • red pepper flakes
  • paprika
  • chili powder
  • cumin

Chopped onion

16oz salsa

30oz diced tomatoes w/chilies (Rotel, etc)

Mix dry spices & garlic with ground beef & brown w/oil.  Combine with salsa, tomatoes, onion in slow cooker.  Cook 4-6hrs on low

I also learned that my wife actually doesnt like chili, and puts up with my 2-3x a month chili cooking out of love.  need to find another lazy-sunday slow cooker meal now

Try stew? Same basic concept - chunk some stuff up in a pot and let it go until dinner happens, but the change in flavors might work. Plus there are lots more common interpretations for "stew" than there are for "chili" even if technically that's not true.

Hachee is the best (a Dutch beef stew). (with mashed potatos and red cabbage).

Wait why wasn't this thread named Idle Yums or Idle Tums? I would assume it's because people need to retain their appetite.