melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Poe donates his spine to the injured Finn and they are symbiotically fused together forever - the perfect pilot-gunner duo.

Damn, Poe is such a boss! I seriously came out of the film wanting an X-wing for the first time ever. His black Lego ship is so cool.

I'd rather not have Finn and Rey be siblings because I don't want another "Luke kissed his sister" moment.  There are already way too many parallels to the original trilogy.

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It felt like a retelling of the original trilogy's themes without the resolution; I like that a lot, I love the idea of this being a 10-year old's first Star Wars movie. This movie evoked the parts of the original trilogy that have stayed with me after most of the details have been shaken out over time. That's why I was much more accepting of chases and battle-scenes which I usually have no patience for in movies. The environments show the starwars-aesthetic and were inspiring for imagining more adventures and play in those worlds. The scale of the heredity soap-opera kept the character relationships simple and primal enough for a child to feel empathy with the social dynamics rather than relying on complexity for intrigue. It just felt like a dense, simple, fantastical adventure from which a child's imagination could expound upon in a way that is starwarsian for me. I'm looking forward to more of these. It was nice to watch this hopeful fantasy after the anxious distopia which is the Hunger Games (which I think are great movies, but they take a lot out of me).

The acting of the original cast stuck out awkwardly, but what can you do? People would flip out if they recast Han Solo or Princess Leia.

I was also surprised that the jokes made me laugh.

Like, Snoke is Darth Plagueis.

So far, they've done a really good job staying away from the prequel trilogy. If they start connecting dots back to that crap, they're risking sending the entire fan base into PTSD.

I finally saw this yesterday. It was full of really cool stuff and also full of really awful stuff. In fact, I think its main problem was that it was too full - it felt like it was at ROTJ levels of plotting where it really should have pared back down to New Hope.

I thought the early stuff on Jakku was paced pretty well, but yeah, everything past that kind of felt like a whirlwind tour of "how many Star Wars-y scenes can we fit in".

The whole Starkiller Base plotline especially felt rushed to me. I felt like it undermined the First Order as a serious threat when their big weapon was introduced and immediately destroyed with barely any setup.

Oh, two things:

The whole thing with Chewie's bowcaster is a joke about how he carried it around the whole original trilogy and never used it (also, wookie bowcasters fired green in the games, but that's not canon, I guess. Did they use them in ROTS?)

Was I imagining it or did that massive cow beast drinking water at the trough have a proper massive bumhole on display?

Hmm, oh yeah. He also shoots it in ESB apparently, in the space slug. I guess maybe the person who told me that meant it was a joke about how he rarely uses it? It was kind of a weird running joke anyway...

Now, any answers on the alien bumhole?

The answer is yes, absolutely. Hard to imagine how I missed it the first time.

That just makes me even more upset that I may never have seen a T-Rex butthole in a Jurassic Park movie. What is the world coming to?

Wouldn't a T-rex have a cloaca?

Man, reading through the early thread and seeing people guessing part of the plot a long time before release was thoroughly enjoyable waste of 40 minutes.

I saw the film and basically thought it was fine, not a big Star Wars fan anymore so it was entertaining.

Oh, damn. It was a VFX showreel of Episode 7. There's a good mix of practical and CG effects!

Oh, two things:

The whole thing with Chewie's bowcaster is a joke about how he carried it around the whole original trilogy and never used it (also, wookie bowcasters fired green in the games, but that's not canon, I guess. Did they use them in ROTS?)

Was I imagining it or did that massive cow beast drinking water at the trough have a proper massive bumhole on display?

Someone elsewhere make the astute point that actually the whole Bowcaster thing was to add significance to the blast Kylo takes from Chewie, and thus how much of a handicap he had in his duels with Finn and Rey. Also, Wookiee*.

Oh, damn. It was a VFX showreel of Episode 7. There's a good mix of practical and CG effects!

Oh man, I really want to see this! :( :(