melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

I assumed Pegg's Unkar Platt character was entirely CGI, but I keep seeing pics of Pegg wearing an entire suit with the Unkar Platt face and all. Maybe they just put CG on top of the costume face..

Yeah makes me want to see it again, that was really good.

I love the Kylo Ren stuff, the analysis revealing him to be a weak pretender trying to be a sixth Lord.

Prediction for the sequel!

snoke will kill Kylo Ren and take Rey as his appentice, who'll be redeemed in the 3rd film

This early concept art

yevdpptqgex2tvat72jp.jpg

Looks quite snoke (it is snoke right?) over her shoulder. Maybe Luke refuses to train her. So she gets Yoda style training from Snoke

Kylo can't be redeemed, it'll be to similar to the original films.

Maybe he'll try to kill his master like Sith are supposed to (right?) as he's a arrogant baby and just gets wiped out

Watched the movie yeasteday, it is very good.

- Rey and Finn wher great in the movie and in the many scene they interact.

- The early to middle part of the movie where very good.

- I was almost lead to believe the Finn would become a Jedi too.

However....

- Snoke? really? it the least threatining name ever, I mean if the just call him by his title with would be great, because is design is kind cool.

- Because they never said the name of the planets and begin I not very familiar with Star Wars, their destruction lose a bit of impact.

- I don´t like very much the later part of the movie, I am not sure of the why, maybe was the fast pace or the coincidences.

- The First Order loss a lot the danger they impose along the movie, Kylo and the other guy don´t appeared dangerous as they first appeared and they lost the Starkiller base almost too easily while Phasm didnt nothing in the movie.

So I watched it again yesterday and liked it so much more the second time. Still some classic JJ Abrams problems, but the movie overall is very well done. Stupidly happy for all the little girls who are watching this now and looking up to Rey.

Was I the only one who really disliked Finn's character?  I was sad that Oscar Isaac didn't have a larger role.  His character was quite entertaining, and had an excellent opening scene.

Also, who came up with these garbage names?  They're impossible to remember.  Snark?  Slark?  Snork?  What?  *checks IMDB*  Ah, it's Snoke.  Of course.  And why are all the new names one syllable?

For things I did like, Rey was most excellent, lightsaber battles were done correctly, and it was pretty.

Things I'm looking forward to:

* Luke

* Han being out of the picture

* Ren being potentially interesting

* Fewer winks to the original trilogy

* Fewer plot points lifted directly from A New Hope

Things I'm concerned about:

* Luke

* Rey being tied into the Skywalker dynasty (please don't be Ren's brother...)

* A shitty romance between Rey and Finn

* Yet another death star... Why is the dark side so unimaginative?

Things that don't make sense:

1. What's up with the star map?  I thought the whole point of their faster-than-light/hyperspace/whatever technology was that they more or less traveled directly from point A to point B?  Now there's some sort of navigation involved?

2. The new death star mega blaster makes no sense whatsoever.  The original death star was mobile, and needed to be brought into range of its target.  Super-size-me death star is a fixed planet.  How the hell can they use it to shoot at anything that isn't in its immediate vicinity?  It should take thousands and thousands of years for the blast to hit whatever world the resistance is on, assuming it's even remotely close to it.

[Edit: I friend informs me that the movie said that the blaster somehow shoots through hyperspace.  Apparently I zoned out for that detail.]

Saw the movie.

Finn is a treasure. I want to marry him.

During my routine après-film wikicheck I found out that Episode VIII

: Mark Hamill Earns His Paycheck

is coming May 2017 - less than 18 months away. They must want it for the 40th anniversary. Crazy, no?

I think Disney have said they want a new starwars film every year for as long as it makes them money.

Imagine if 5 years from now after this trilogy had warped they start on an Old republic trilogy of films.

Things that don't make sense:

1. What's up with the star map?  I thought the whole point of their faster-than-light/hyperspace/whatever technology was that they more or less traveled directly from point A to point B?  Now there's some sort of navigation involved?

2. The new death star mega blaster makes no sense whatsoever.  The original death star was mobile, and needed to be brought into range of its target.  Super-size-me death star is a fixed planet.  How the hell can they use it to shoot at anything that isn't in its immediate vicinity?  It should take thousands and thousands of years for the blast to hit whatever world the resistance is on, assuming it's even remotely close to it.

[Edit: I friend informs me that the movie said that the blaster somehow shoots through hyperspace.  Apparently I zoned out for that detail.]

On #1, I don't think that was ever the case for the Star Wars universe.  There are distinct trade lanes and hyperspace routes all throughout the galaxy, although I don't know how canon this map is in the new SW universe:

MainGalaxy.png

ALSO! I did some reading since I was very confused about which planets

got blown up by Starkiller base. This might've already been brought up, but according to the new Star Wars canon, the new Republic moved the seat of power depending on the results of an election??Apparently the system that was wiped out was the Hosnian system, as Hosnian Prime housed the current senate?

Saw the movie.

Finn is a treasure. I want to marry him.

Yes!! Finn was so great!

I'm very much into seeing more adventures of Rey, Finn and Poe.

Edit: Spoiler tagged that just in case!

Open spoilers now? It's a pain in the ass writing them on mobile

Poe was original supposed to die early in the film, probably in the tie fighter crash. Oscar Isasc took the job thinking it would be no more than a cameo then some time later JJ contacted him saying "don't worry I've figured it out, now you're in the whole film"

http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-death

Interesting that these 3 movies werent set in stone from the get go

Also, that kinda makes Poe disposable to the rest of the saga, unless huge rewrites went on to intergate him into the other films in a meaningful way

Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote The Force Awakens and some of the earlier movies, says that Rian is “going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in Star Wars.”

This is good. This is what I hope for. Now we've had the nostalgia trip down memory lane, let's mix it up a bit!

I think Disney have said they want a new starwars film every year for as long as it makes them money.

Imagine if 5 years from now after this trilogy had warped they start on an Old republic trilogy of films.

It makes me wonder if the whole enterprise might go the way of the Marvel films if they're not mindful of it. They get the formula and just start churning. I hope they consider over-saturation. Only because that buzz I felt when sitting down to this thing was so great - I'd hate to lose that.

Do they do a trilogy every 5 years, plus spinoffs? At that rate duds are inevitable. Does it matter if they burn out in 10 year's time and take a few years off?

Also, it was cool reading about Ewan MacGregor coming in to do that line and combining it with Alec Guinness. I'd love to see a Ben Kenobi spinoff. Even in a decade's time.

Speculation: IF these Hayden Christensen rumours have ANY substance and it turned out he was appearing as a ghost in the next film, how would people feel about that?

I don't think it's unlikely that they'll run it into the ground, but on the other hand SW has not exactly been treated with care. I do hope they remake Ep. I-III before that point.

The new stars apparently got paid a pittance, I hope they get a better deal next time because they made the movie.

Also, one thing that stood out to me on a rewatch: how quickly Kylo got from the bridge of his Star Destroyer to the planet where Maz is. One moment he's watching the laser beam, then they show the people on the ground seeing it hit the planets, then he lands. Wtf?

People clapping when all the old characters showed up was so stupid. This is why I hate movie theaters.

The new stars apparently got paid a pittance, I hope they get a better deal next time because they made the movie.

excuse me, i believe they got paid in exposure which is really priceless if you think about it

Yeah, Daniel Radcliff is the richest young british celebrity with more money than the one direction guys combined. They'll get paid don't worry about that!

I didn't like that the giant laser beam split into 5 and started bending....!? I didn't like that, bendy splity space lasers. Reminded me of magneto splitting train tracks into cheese string :tdown:

I hope they do this justice:

star-wars-force-awakens-kylo-rain-slow-1

There's a guy with a giant meat cleaver! (Or is that a paddle for spanking)