melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

I was out with a friend last night who's cousin works on the films as a set guy... he does stuff on the film set... i don't really know what his job is. Anyway, he's now busy working on VIII and apparently all the production staff are a bit down on the sequel, as the stuff they're working on doesn't really feel like "Star Wars"

In comparison though, they're super jazzed about the Force Awakens as they feel they've captured the feel of the first films :tup:

so, second film might be pants. Blame Trevorrow.

I've been ebaying the soundtrack CDs I was missing. Man, they're spectacular. Found myself welling up to Yub Nub. Idiot. Looking forward to the new soundtrack and I'm sure the film will be fine.

PS. I'm assuming 'Salacious Thumb' had been used on the forums...somewhere. Or an episode title?

Bad Robot (JJ Abram's production company) is still producing Star Trek Beyond with Paramount, though.

That sounds like Abrams is doing Star Trek Beyond like Steven Spielberg did Back to the Future...? :)

I mostly want to see at least one hardcore Star Trek fan get a ticket to the Star Wars opening, dress up as a Star Trek character, wait with the Star Wars fans, watch the Star Trek trailer, then leave.

^^ this is why SAM found it amusing, Abram's specific role on the Trek film doesn't (warp) factor in.

That sounds like Abrams is doing Star Trek Beyond like Steven Spielberg did Back to the Future...? :)

Yeah he produced it... I wasn't implying anything else.

this is like the idea that half of all television show's are taking place inside an autistic boy's head, though various dubious leaps of logic

In defense of that idea, most of the links aren't dubious. It goes like this:

1. St. Elsewhere did a crossover with Show X, therefore Show X is in the same continuity.
  2. Show X did a crossover with Show Y and Z, therefore they all share a continuity.
  3. Shows Y and Z did crossovers with Show A, B, C and D, therefore they all share a continuity.
  4. Repeat above steps until you have created a web of crossovers that spans half of television (crossovers were really popular back then).
  5. St. Elsewhere ended on the reveal that the whole show took place inside the mind of an autistic boy.
  6. Therefore all the shows in the above web of crossovers did too.

I mean obviously it's not true in the sense that any show-maker accepts it, it's just a funny consequence of some unplanned weird TV stuff.

Now if you want a crazy conspiracy theory that some people actually believe, Google the Jar-Jar Sith theory.

I don't believe Jar-Jar Sith, but I want it to be true for a million reasons.

In defense of that idea, most of the links aren't dubious. It goes like this:

1. St. Elsewhere did a crossover with Show X, therefore Show X is in the same continuity.

Yeah, there's where it gets dubious. Show X doesn't have to be in the same continuity as St. Elsewhere most of the time, and there's nothing saying that in the autistic boy universe, St. Elsewhere doesn't exist as a fictional show that he expanded inside his own head.

My Star Wars prediction? BB-8 is either going to be an irritating Scrappy-Doo or actually end up betraying the good guys somehow.

Or the new Star Wars is actually a 2 hour lecture on trade agreements delivered by Jarjar.

You know, I'd really enjoy some prequel trilogy elements turning up in the new films. The tone of them was so different to the scrappy originals that it was only towards the end of Ep.3 that you started to smell them coming together. It'll be nice to the see the joint language of both inform the new films, with the grandiose CG of the New Republic (or whatever) and the nuts'n'bolts greasiness of the Millennium Falcon and all that.

I've rewatched Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith over the weekend. Victory Celebration is no Yub-Nub, but it's still pretty special. And man, I really think everyone's problems with the prequels would be more or less mitigated if Lucas had given his draft to Lawrence Kasdan for a quick dialogue pass. Watching them again brought home the political angle Lucas was going for but he's so cack-handed with dialogue it all turns to mush. Which is a shame because I think kids could have learned something important from the transformation by Palpatine of the Republic into the Empire. It's very stop-start: cool action bit/boring expositiony trade route bit. If he had wound it together more skilfully with the cool shit (like Darth Maul and podracing and Yoda lightsabering and everything going south in Ep.3), it could've been special. But he gets lost in the palatial diplomacy. But there are some really good bits!... And then Ewan MacGregor is forced to shout the word 'Democracy!' before he crispifies Vader. But then there's the cool birth of the twins/Vader cross cutting!... And then Padme bites it because she lost the will to live. Or something.

The thing is that you can see bits of it in A New Hope, too. Moff Tarkin is banging on about the senate and surrounding star systems falling in line. Maybe the younger Lucas had a better ear for casual banter (and an outlet for it in Han Solo) but it's there. The Empire review of Phantom Menace posited that Anakin himself could have provided that outlet if he'd been introduced as an older orphan surviving by his Force-y guile on the mean streets of Mos Espa. Maybe. The prequels needed some levity to puncture the pomp and worthiness, but watching Revenge of the Sith highlighted that all these films DID come from the same guy, for better or worse. And rewatching A New Hope last year...the first half is dreadfully slow! Context, context, I know. But my wife went to sleep.

Anyway, Polygon pointed me towards an online edit of the prequels.

comes in at around 90 mins so I might give that a go now.

Man, I don't know in the last few days My wife and I watched: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones (we'll be watching Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi in time for Episode VII) and man, I don't know if punchier dialogue would have saved Episode II. 

I have a hard time defining why I think the tone is so different between the two sets of films, but I almost feel like the completely opposite. The original trilogy felt like it was primarily set inside of a large conflict (the rebellion) accented through personal struggle/growth while the prequels felt like they were primarily set inside of inter-personal conflicts (mainly revolving around Anakin) accented through large conflict. While I don't think the latter is bad in any way, I think it very much relies on the quality of the writing, the dialogue and the characterization which ended up being pretty bad so it falls flat.  

We've been watching Star Wars a bunch over the last few months and for whatever reason, we tend to always turn subtitles on. On one of my more recent viewings, I noticed something that hadn't caught my eye or ear before. At the end when everyone is celebrating, George Lucas had added all of those celebration scenes from various planets and in one of the re-re-releases he added a Naboo celebration scene:

post-31977-0-50494900-1450201242_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find an image with the actual subtitle and it's not really noticeable without since all the celebration noises garble what they are shouting, but if you watch that scene with subtitles on, the Gungans are apparently shouting "Wesa free!"

I've been seeing a lot of lists lately of the worst changes made to the original movies and I can't believe that isn't right near the top.

Episode 2 feels like a bunch of disparate set pieces with no real thread. They sound good on paper. Perhaps the love story was meant to tie it all together. Anakin's trip to Tatooine is a highlight (minus his petulant strop and confession to Padme), as is kung fu Yoda (yes!) but the dialogue really hurts it. I remember thinking the droid factory was this trilogy's trash compactor scene. It's got the humour and the peril but doesn't click this time round. It felt utterly superfluous.

Re. Jar Jar, I never really had a big problem with him or the Gungans. C-3PO irritated me more in Attack of the Clones. However, Jar Jar did inspire a great line in SPACED when Tim's boss asks him why he's so down on Jar Jar but not the Ewoks. To which he replies:

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like, fucking....SHAFT!"

Iirc, the droid factory was added with pick-ups after the main shoot was over, because during the edit Lucas felt something extra was needed.

Some friends had a re-watch marathon this weekend (like everyone else in the world it seems). I couldn't attend all of it, but I was there to watch Empire (one of the 'special' editions) and a fan-edit of Attack of the Clones. (they were watching the movies in "machete order", the efficacy of which I can't really speak to). I started watching Revenge of the Sith, but had to leave earlier than halfway through.

I went into it with a willingness to reassess the prequels and let myself be entertained—free of the influence of mass-consensus that they're terrible movies. But alas, the consensus isn't wrong. They're truly difficult to watch.

Kung fu Yoda is bullcrap and you know it.

Surprisingly, Yoda v. Dooku was way less bad than my memory of it. When he pulls out his lightsaber there is of course a communal groan of anti-anticipation, but then the fighting itself is blessedly brief and really no stupider than any of the other lightsaber fights in the movie. Faint praise, but still.

Iirc, the droid factory was added with pick-ups after the main shoot was over, because during the edit Lucas felt something extra was needed.

This makes so much sense... the only thing I could think during that sequence was "why is this happening?".

You don't want to talk about Star Wars VII in the Star Wars VII thread? Can't you use spoiler tags? (Or perhaps this should just be taken as a spoilerful thread now the movie's out.)

So I got to see an early screening and I really liked the movie. Not going to give anything away except one thing that's not related to the plot at all but rather how it was edited that I loved.

it has the super cheesy/awesome screen wipes from the original films