melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

To be honest I'm not unhappy. I think Trank needs a little more time doing his own stories and finding his voice.

To be honest I'm not unhappy. I think Trank needs a little more time doing his own stories and finding his voice.

Yeah, I agree. I was honestly surprised when he was announced for the project, although I shouldn't have been, because execs love to think that the latest installment in their franchise will be the moment that a promising young director finally finds his voice. Anyway, I thought Chronicle was badly underbaked in places, so hopefully he can work on that somewhere else, without a multi-billion-dollar corporation breathing down his neck.

May the Fourth be with you.

And... 4th of May be with you? Is this an early Cinco de Mayo thing?

(i'm being facetious but it doesn't work outside of the US)

walkerjedi.jpg

The Force was actually just a metaphor for Reaganomics.

:tup: amazing balloon work

I pre registered to some bullshit Star Wars rpg iPhone game today because I'm an idiot. Will it be a post return of the Jedi KOTOR? Who knows? I won't because I will never in my life play an rpg on my phone. It is interesting though to see new cannon stuff

looks-like-disney-is-actually-trying-wit

Also, Han Solo in the new comics....

v2StarWarsSplit.jpg

That video makes me feel both excited to see the movie and weird about this whole endeavor because "practical effects" has now started to feel like a dogwhistle for audiences with a certain kind of nostalgia. I hate the feeling of being totally aware of being manipulated by a big studio project and still falling for that manipulation, but put me in the camp of people who will see this movie as soon as it comes out.

That video makes me feel both excited to see the movie and weird about this whole endeavor because "practical effects" has now started to feel like a dogwhistle for audiences with a certain kind of nostalgia. I hate the feeling of being totally aware of being manipulated by a big studio project and still falling for that manipulation, but put me in the camp of people who will see this movie as soon as it comes out.

You know what though? As a student of film (not that I'm a super expert pro with that), it does mean something. They're called practical effects because they are something you can work with in real time in the raw footage. One of the first things we learned for making film is that your film is only as good as your original footage; no amount of post effects can save a bad shot, bad acting, missed cues on set, etc. I understand that the phrase can be used in an abusive manner, but I don't see this as being one of those instances. I definitely would have called shenanigans if this was a Lucas project. But it's not, and that's a large part of why pushing the practical effects for promotional reasons matters. Lucas' last three films (well, even the Indiana Jones travesty) were panned for their digital effects reliance. Everything being digital has a terrible aesthetic. But when you use effects to fill in the blanks, that's when it counts.

I'm just stoked to see the details that are being left in the hands of prop makers and puppeteers and engineers (for the limited robotics at play). I really respect those crafts in film production. I'm just gonna start affectionately calling this film A New Hope 2.

that was great! I think I really need to aviod watching anything more about this film now, I can feel my subconscious piecing stuff together

Simon Pegg is in this movie!? That guy must have been ecstatic the whole time.

Reservations aside, it's nice to see people talk about star wars with some hope. 

He's just an extra... Unless they've kept his role a secret. I'd imagine it'll be only a very mini or role if he does have any lines. Looks like he was wearing a fat alien suit. I think he also got to play a storm trooper

160 days to go :)

I know what Argobot means, though. It's definitely cool that they're using real sets, effects etc, but instead of just showing it they have a voiceover telling us too, like it's a magic wand that waves away any potential for this film to be bad.

I hadn't twigged that both Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson were in this movie - keep them away from those DroidsTM!

Also, yeah, I think I'll start avoiding stuff now.

Carrie Fisher looked great... Believable. She appeared on Graham norton and the last leg a few months back and she came across a bit loopy which got me a little worried she'd stick out like a sore thumb.

God I hope we see Luke in an XWing

More practical effects miniatures were made for any one of the films in the prequels than in the entire original trilogy, combined. And the original trilogy featured a lot of minatures. I'm with argobot, while the visuals were (mostly) exciting in that Force Awakens promotional video, the voice-over made me uneasy, since it was trying to push the idea that the prequels were overly digital, and that's just not true. And I'm willing to bet that there will be a huge amount of digital work in The Force Awakens, as well. 

The problem with the prequels was that the story, the script, and the actors were all damn mess. Maybe I'm wrong! Please correct me if that's the case!

More practical effects miniatures were made for any one of the films in the prequels than in the entire original trilogy, combined. And the original trilogy featured a lot of minatures. I'm with argobot, while the visuals were (mostly) exciting in that Force Awakens promotional video, the voice-over made me uneasy, since it was trying to push the idea that the prequels were overly digital, and that's just not true. And I'm willing to bet that there will be a huge amount of digital work in The Force Awakens, as well. 

The problem with the prequels was that the story, the script, and the actors were all damn mess. Maybe I'm wrong! Please correct me if that's the case!

You haven't seen all the behind-the-scenes of the prequels being shot on giant green sets, and heard all the actors talk about how the films were mostly digital? Like even basic sets?

I think the thing is that the prequel trilogy had more of everything so while it had more miniatures (and perhaps practical creatures too or whatever) it also had a shitload of greenscreen and CGI in there right up in your face. That's why the special editions also sucked - they had all the original practical stuff in there but with a load of crappy CGI slapstick plastered on top.

And yes, in the end, the problem was not the sometimes-crappy effects (of which the original trilogy has a fair few) but everything else, which is why the PR leaning on this so heavily feels like an attempt at a dog whistle.

You haven't seen all the behind-the-scenes of the prequels being shot on giant green sets, and heard all the actors talk about how the films were mostly digital? Like even basic sets?

If you don't think that The Force Awakens isn't going to also have giant green screen sets, then you are being a little naive. They're just a part of modern filmmaking, especially when budgets are so high. He used them in Star Trek, he'll use them here.