melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Woof, seeing all these EU book titles makes me happy this new film is just called The Force Awakens, maybe not the most exciting title but non-offensive, instead of something infinitely goofy like Children of the Jedi..

I just remember how excited I was by the Phantom Menace and Into Darkness trailers and it kills any excitement I have about this trailer. Also, never forget, never forgive: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/star-wars-expanded-universe-not-canon/

I'll never forget how pumped I was for The Matrix Reloaded after seeing its trailer. Some wounds never heal...

Fuck, I'm going to be a completely negative nancy now, but that trailer started off so well. I was smiling like a child right up until I saw Harrison Ford and my stomach just dropped. That part was just cheesey.

Haha, no, I meant the novel. Peep that episode synopsis, it's like... everything wrong with the Star Wars EU.

(Though I guess on reflection I'm completely unsurprised that there's more than one "darksaber" in that big mess.)

I read that book. The art on the page for the actual ship is so dumb.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber

Fuck, I'm going to be a completely negative nancy now, but that trailer started off so well. I was smiling like a child right up until I saw Harrison Ford and my stomach just dropped. That part was just cheesey.

Star Wars is pretty cheesy to begin with.

How anyone is not grinning ear to ear with child-like joy when Harrison Ford shows up I don't understand. How! HOW!!

I am confused because the best part of Star Wars is when it's being cheesy and just owning it.

How anyone is not grinning ear to ear with child-like joy when Harrison Ford shows up I don't understand. How! HOW!!

He looks old. :[

Too bad Chewbacca didn't age along with him. It would have been better if he was an old grey haired wookie and had an old man wookie growl.

He looks old. :[

I don't know, that just makes it better for me. After all these years they're home! And I agree with Twig, that last bit is classic campy Star Wars owning its campiness and I love it to bits.

Too bad Chewbacca didn't age along with him. It would have been better if he was an old grey haired wookie and had an old man wookie growl.

I was so confused, Chewie looked younger than in the original series. Didn't the Third prequel have a greying wookiee?

I saw someone on Twitter remark that Han aged 7 years for each of Chewie's years, thus making Han Chewie's dog.

I was so confused, Chewie looked younger than in the original series. Didn't the Third prequel have a greying wookiee?

It did. Now I'm pissed and this trailer is horseshit. If they can't even age Chewbacca properly I'm now dreading to see all the other shit they fuck up. Like that sith? Probably Jar Jar Binks.

Evidently the fact that Wookiees live for about 4-500 years made it into the canon, and Chewie hasn't greyed prematurely.

If science had advanced to the point where people are warping all over the galaxy, couldn't they have figured out how to extend the human lifespan to match that of a wookie's?

Not only that, Chewbacca himself was in the film.  Yoda even calls him by name.  So by the time of Force Awakens, he's got to be at least a century older.

sw_lgi_gallery_05.jpg

The interconnectedness of relationships that the prequels and the EU introduced is one of the things that bugged me, particularly Yoda and Chewbacca knowing each other.  The desire in some massive universes to have these looping relationships across decades or centuries is just silly to me.

Chewbacca's appearance in the new trilogy was a fucking disgrace by the way. It was arbitrary as fuck.

I think that out of all of the trailer, the Harrison Ford bit was the part that made me the least happy. I hate thinking that the fate of the Star Wars universe continually requires some snarky smuggler and his furry buddy to constantly keep reappearing. Similar to what was said above, I hated how interconnected everything was in the prequels. This is also a reason why Star Trek Into Darkness (and to a lesser extent, the first Star Trek reboot) were cloying. There are other people out there, who also have stories that need to be told. 

I really don't think that it's necessary to have old man Harrison Ford (he is seventy two) trot out and play Han Solo. They've done it before, and it was dumb, they're doing it here, and they're planning on doing it again

That being said, like, seeing Oscar Isaac yelling with excitement in an X-Wing? That's thrilling! There is so much possibility there! 

Not only that, Chewbacca himself was in the film.  Yoda even calls him by name.  So by the time of Force Awakens, he's got to be at least a century older.

Wait, how does that work? Chewbacca ages a hundred years and Luke's 50?

I dunno, for me it's weird seeing everyone have such a strong reaction to these trailers. I'm surprised this imagery and these sounds are still special to people after Star Wars has been milked dry in every possible medium. Not that I begrudge anyone their excitement.

I dunno, for me it's weird seeing everyone have such a strong reaction to these trailers. I'm surprised this imagery and these sounds are still special to people after Star Wars has been milked dry in every possible medium. Not that I begrudge anyone their excitement.

I'm as surprised as you are that I still have the ability to feel reverent (or, indeed, feel anything) about any of this dumb stuff.