melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

:tup:

OMG NEW PAGE! HOW EMBARRASSING AND EXCITING AND UNUSUAL!

:wtz::stan::miyamoto::hypnotoad::oldman::violin::eyebrow::kiss::gaming::woohoo:  :owned:  :frusty:  :devil:  :ancient:  :nuts:  :hitler::wtf:

The broadsword hilt is bad because it suggests Jedis have been a bunch of dumb fools getting their fingers sliced off because they didn't implement this key safety feature. You can't make something more badass by adding safety equipment.

Darth Maul's two blades were also dumb, but it only suggested that Maul is willing to take crazy chances and make an already risky weapon more so. It's contained and doesn't suggest all other Jedis have been doing something wrong so far.

pretend these are lasers

the shields too!

Random thought: Lucas wanted to explain Force affinity by means of bullshit-science-bacteria in the blood.

When Vader loses his limbs, wouldn't he have substantially less blood in his body and thus be weaker?

I thought I told you people to stop me.

After looking this up some more, midi-chlorians are microscopic life forms that inhabit all cells, not just blood.  The midi-chlorian count is given as the average number per cell, not the total in the body.  So while Anakin/Vader did lose several of his limbs and thus had a lower overall count, his average number per cell didn't change.  Since it was already considered to be the highest ever recorded, it didn't really make his connection to the Force any weaker.

Some more pointless information:

• Lucas had conceived of the midi-chlorians as early as 1977, so in his mind they were always part of the Star Wars universe and not something he made up just for the prequels.
  • The reason they aren't mentioned at all in the original trilogy is because after he became Emperor, Palpatine banned all research into the midi-chlorians (Wookiepedia even has the statue number for this) and all the Jedi's data was purged along with the Order.
  • At one point during the prequel timeline, there was a Jedi who came up with a plan to test the members of the Senate for midi-chlorians to look for the Sith that was supposedly controlling it.  This Jedi went to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine with the plan, but since Palpatine was the Sith they were looking for he convinced the Jedi the plan would be a political disaster.  When Palpatine learned that the Jedi had not yet informed the Jedi Council of his idea, he secretly had him killed.

Lucas had conceived of the midi-chlorians as early as 1977, so in his mind they were always part of the Star Wars universe and not something he made up just for the prequels.

Is this one of those things that Lucas says he had planned from the start and everyone else is highly sceptical about?

When the expanded universe was first being planned after the movies came out, Lucas wrote a series of notes and guidelines for expanded universe authors.  Those included information about the midi-chlorians.  So it is documented somewhere.

Oh, neat!

So, it's been confirmed that Ep VII: The Force Awakens will be written/directed by Rian Johnson, and that it will be out 26th May 2017. Also, the spin-off movie directed by Gareth Edwards will be called Rogue One, which I think is pretty cool even if it does sound like a video game.

EDIT: what an idiot, I mean that untitled Ep VIII will be by Johnson, out on 26/5/17, as corrected by many people below!

I think you mean Episode VIII: The Proper Noun Verbs (or perhaps The Adjective Proper Noun or even The Verb of the Proper Noun)? 

Oh, neat!

So, it's been confirmed that Ep VII: The Force Awakens will be written/directed by Rian Johnson

I think you're confused.

I thought I told you people to stop me.

After looking this up some more, midi-chlorians are microscopic life forms that inhabit all cells, not just blood.  The midi-chlorian count is given as the average number per cell, not the total in the body.  So while Anakin/Vader did lose several of his limbs and thus had a lower overall count, his average number per cell didn't change.  Since it was already considered to be the highest ever recorded, it didn't really make his connection to the Force any weaker.

Some more pointless information:

• Lucas had conceived of the midi-chlorians as early as 1977, so in his mind they were always part of the Star Wars universe and not something he made up just for the prequels.
  • The reason they aren't mentioned at all in the original trilogy is because after he became Emperor, Palpatine banned all research into the midi-chlorians (Wookiepedia even has the statue number for this) and all the Jedi's data was purged along with the Order.
  • At one point during the prequel timeline, there was a Jedi who came up with a plan to test the members of the Senate for midi-chlorians to look for the Sith that was supposedly controlling it.  This Jedi went to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine with the plan, but since Palpatine was the Sith they were looking for he convinced the Jedi the plan would be a political disaster.  When Palpatine learned that the Jedi had not yet informed the Jedi Council of his idea, he secretly had him killed.

Do you have a source on that? I'm wary of anything Lucas has to say about Star Wars and how he imagined things this-way or that, since he's pretty much lied before.

According to Wookiepedia's page on Midichlorians, under the "Behind the Scenes" section, "Origins", it mentions George Lucas talking about them in 1977 when discussing guidelines for the expanded universe (as SecretAsianMan said above). 

From that section, it sources "The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film" by J.W. Rinzler. I can't vouch at all for the book's accuracy, but it's something at the very least.

Oh, neat!

So, it's been confirmed that Ep VII: The Force Awakens will be written/directed by Rian Johnson, and that it will be out 26th May 2017. Also, the spin-off movie directed by Gareth Edwards will be called Rogue One, which I think is pretty cool even if it does sound like a video game.

I think you mean Episode VIII. Also, Gary Whitta said that Rogue One was his naming choice. I imagine that even if he doesn't have the final writing credit, having that feather in his cap must be cool. Also, I really like the idea of Felicity Jones as a leading lady X-Wing pilot; I hope the movie is actually that.

According to Wookiepedia's page on Midichlorians, under the "Behind the Scenes" section, "Origins", it mentions George Lucas talking about them in 1977 when discussing guidelines for the expanded universe (as SecretAsianMan said above). 

From that section, it sources "The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film" by J.W. Rinzler. I can't vouch at all for the book's accuracy, but it's something at the very least.

That was in fact my source.

Wookiepedia is a bad source in that they don't really editorialize or cross-reference. They're very literal-minded in what they transcribe about anything Star Wars related.

Also they felt it was important to have an article about breasts.

A little bit of googling brings up this news article, which contains the original quote from Lucas in 1977 plus an editorial note:

"The Force is really a way of seeing; it's a way of being with life. It really has nothing to do with weapons. The Force gives you the power to have extra-sensory perception and to be able to see things and hear things, read minds and levitate things. It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different. The Force is a perception of the reality that exists around us. You have to come to learn it. It’s not something you just get. It takes many, many years… Anyone who studied and worked hard could learn it. But you would have to do it on your own."

[Please note: While we were preparing the text for The Making of Star Wars, Lucas added a note to this passage about midi-chlorians, bringing his original words in line with his later thoughts and the events of the prequel trilogy.]

It appears he originally said that some lifeforms have a natural affinity for the Force, which he later "clarified" to mean that they have more midichlorians in their cells. Still, Lucas might genuinely believe that that's what he meant all along, like when he said that he always meant for Luke and Leia to be twins even though he authorized toys that listed their ages as 23 and 18 right after A New Hope came out.

Wookiepedia is a bad source in that they don't really editorialize or cross-reference. They're very literal-minded in what they transcribe about anything Star Wars related.

Also they felt it was important to have an article about breasts.

Meh, considering the subject matter is Star Wars I'd say it's about as good as any other source.

Oops, sorry for the confusion, everyone! I got it right when I tweeted it but then got super-muddled here, for some reason.

I'm guessing the Wookiepedia entry about breasts discusses Carrie Fisher's being taped down in ep IV so as to lessen any sexuality on the tone of the movie (and its universe)?

For some reason, the avclub didn't mention Rogue One's release date. So we now have:

Dec 18th 2015 - Episode VII: The Force Awakens (dir/scr JJ Abrams, scr Lawrence Kasdan)

Dec 16th 2016 - Rogue One (dir Gareth Edwards, story John Knoll, scr - so far - Gary "The Book Of Eli/The Walking Dead games" Whitta/Chris "About A Boy/Antz" Weitz)

May 26th 2017 - Episode VIII (dir/scr Rian Johnson)

Gareth Evans on Rogue One, not Edwards.

More importantly: who is Gareth Evans' action choreographer and editor? Because his previous films work because the action choreography is whip-smart and the editing is fantastic, and if he makes a Hollywood Star Wars film and leaves this critical roles to the same guys everyone else uses, you're going to squander his talents.

Gareth Evans on Rogue One, not Edwards.

More importantly: who is Gareth Evans' action choreographer and editor? Because his previous films work because the action choreography is whip-smart and the editing is fantastic, and if he makes a Hollywood Star Wars film and leaves this critical roles to the same guys everyone else uses, you're going to squander his talents.

Most of the reports I'm reading say it's Edwards, director of the new Godzilla.

EDIT: Weirdly, this article's site header reads Gareth Evans, but the article says Edwards. It is definitely Edwards who's attached to the spin-off.

Some actors from 'The Raid' are apparently going to be in Star Wars VII, though.

As if I'd get anything wrong about the new Star Wars movies.

As if I'd get anything wrong about the new Star Wars movies.

:tup: :tup:

Evans edited the first and co-edited the second Raid films, and the fight choreography was by Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian (the lead actor, and the guy who played Mad Dog in the first then Prakoso in the second). Those two actors will reportedly both appear in Ep 7, along with Cecep Arif Rahman, who was also in Raid 2.