melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Finn Windu

Sounds like Chinese food.

So, I just thought of this and I'm I'm actually thinking it could be quite likely. If he's meant to be power in the force, wasn't Mace serious business when it came to midichlorians

Finn Windu

Sounds like Chinese food.

So, I just thought of this and I'm I'm actually thinking it could be quite likely. If he's meant to be power in the force, wasn't Mace serious business when it came to midichlorians

Part of me wants to point out that Jedi were taught to reject feelings like love and thus it wouldn't be likely that Mace had any children.  Another part wants to tell the first part that Anakin had kids anyway.  A third part wants to call the first two dorks and it's just a movie anything could happen!  I think the third part wins.

Part of me wants to point out that Jedi were taught to reject feelings like love and thus it wouldn't be likely that Mace had any children.

You don't need love to have kids, just sexy fun times.  And imagine the sexy fun times a Jedi could have. 

Lust is, but the desire for sex is not necessarily lust.  It's a biological imperative just like eating.  And since we're talking alien species here, how that manifests need not match human norms or expectations in the slightest. 

I've never really bought the whole "Jedi rejection of emotion" thing anyways.  None of them feel, as characters, particularly free from emotion to me. 

Lust is, but the desire for sex is not necessarily lust.  It's a biological imperative just like eating.  And since we're talking alien species here, how that manifests need not match human norms or expectations in the slightest. 

I've never really bought the whole "Jedi rejection of emotion" thing anyways.  None of them feel, as characters, particularly free from emotion to me. 

One of the previous dork parts of me wants to say that technically they are Human, they're just not Humans from Earth.  Not that it matters.  The Jedi are paradoxical in many ways, the rejection of emotion being just one of them.  Also I didn't mean to imply that love is a requirement for making babies in the Star Wars universe, just that as a Jedi Mace should have theoretically been above that need.

I'm purely arguing for the sake of arguing, just to be clear that I'm not taking this super duper serious (it's Star Wars, so making that clear is probably a good idea).

The application of modern day romantic/sexual/emotional norms in crazy, sci-fi societies is something I'm always fascinated by.  A creator could explore a crazy variety of alternate ways that humans relate to one another, and yet so few ever take that opportunity. 

I'm purely arguing for the sake of arguing, just to be clear that I'm not taking this super duper serious (it's Star Wars, so making that clear is probably a good idea).

I dunno people seem pretty upset over the super rad awesome two handed laser broadsword!

I dunno people seem pretty upset over the super rad awesome two handed laser broadsword!

I was going to write a big long post about why I think it's dumb (including going into the physics of it) before I remembered I don't actually care.

I can't wait for the scene where the magical space wizard singes his finger on his laser hilt. JJ Abrams is going to be so embarrassed.

The thing I look forward to is a lightsaber battle that's toned down and feels dangerous, rather than an overly choreographed piece of ballet.

s1ctnas3t4gug03tvlcx.jpg

New saber design for the animated series. I don't mind this either :) the must have toy for Christmas 2015

The thing I look forward to is a lightsaber battle that's toned down and feels dangerous, rather than an overly choreographed piece of ballet.

This video gives a pretty cool insight into that from the other perspective.

Isn't that the point? They all had emotion so they all failed pretty much.

Is it? I really don't know.

This is also super choreographed but I like the use of the Force in actual combat.  Reminds me of The Force Unleashed.

One thing I want to see done away with is the whole "shake the object as the Force user tries to move it into their hand" thing.  We get it, they can move stuff with the Force.  Just do it already.

I agree with everything you just said, but the funny thing is that the Darth Maul fight scene is the only part of that movie that I find at all watchable.

This isn't just a Star Wars thing, though. I'd like sword fights in general to be more like the madly dangerous things they really are. Not rarely a single blow decides the whole thing. If you look at how western gunfight duels are done, or how in the Yojimbo movie series it usually comes down to staring the opponent in the eye to measure them up and then each performing a single strike... that's usually a lot more tense and exciting that a hundred thousand blows.

Yes, yes, I agree with all this. And movies from Phantom Menace's era particularly suffered from the Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon-ification of fight choreography.

I'm just saying that I can actually stomach to watch the Darth Maul fight scene, which by default makes it the best part of the movie.

EDIT: Also, the more I think about it, I actually don't mind and often enjoy overly flashy fight-dancing. Depending on the movie. But the best Star Wars lightsaber fight remains the father-son duel in the freezing chamber of cloud city and the only flashy thing about that scene was the lighting and cinematography, so still, I agree.

And arguably, the series will never have a fight scene with as much impact as the Vader vs Kenobi fight.  Not flashy, but Kenobi is clearly just distracting Vader long enough for his comrades to escape.  Simple, effective and shocking the first time you see it as a kid.

This isn't just a Star Wars thing, though. I'd like sword fights in general to be more like the madle dangerous things they really are. Not rarely a single blow decides the whole thing. If you look at how western gunfight duels are done, or how in the Yojimbo movie series it usually comes down to staring the opponent in the eye to measure them up and then each performing a single strike... that's usually a lot more tense and exciting that a hundred thousand blows.

Yes, yes, I agree with all this. And movies from Phantom Menace's era particularly suffered from the Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon-ification of fight choreography.

I'm just saying that I can actually stomach to watch the Darth Maul fight scene, which by default makes it the best part of the movie.

EDIT: Also, the more I think about it, I actually don't mind and often enjoy overly flashy fight-dancing. Depending on the movie. But the best Star Wars lightsaber fight remains the father-son duel in the freezing chamber of cloud city and the only flashy thing about that scene was the lighting and cinematography, so still, I agree.

I agree with this in general, but I'm not sure I agree with this in Star Wars.  I mean, we're already talking about glowing energy swords, crazy robots, lasers, and spaceships so subtly is kind of out of the question.  I think the flashy fights fit in just fine.  If anything I think they're too stilted and wooden to really be interesting in a way I find satisfying.  Maybe this next set of movies will pull back on some of the crazy (which I'd be totally ok with), in which case I'll agree with the less is more idea.  But the rolling bot, lightbroadsword, and Falcon dive don't give me the impression that it will be.

Now that the combination has been proffered in this thread, can we please have Jackie Chan as a Jedi?

Can I have a Star Wars movie directed by Jackie Chan? Think of the hilarious prop action you could do with the Force.

That reminds me! I'd love to see Jackie Chan as a Jedi!