melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Mington is the sanest person in this thread right now!

It's never been truer!

I pray to god they don't go down the usual marketing route and create a trailer detailing everything that happens in the first 2/3 of the movie in sequence and following it up with a shot from the finale.

This is exactly what they're going to do. If you want any surprises left for you by the time you actually get to watch the film, I suggest you get in the habit of screwing your eyes shut, covering your ears and shouting "la la la la" whenever you see Star Wars mentioned for the next year.

I think the trailer has an intriguing mix of really cool original trilogy vibe, exciting new stuff (Abrams camera moves; black, individual Stormtrooper character) and occasional dreadful stuff (the voiceover and the bong-saber). I am now going to follow my own advice above and try to avoid all further SW publicity.

INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS' COCKPIT

Heh.

I have a lot of love for Star Wars, more than maybe any other franchise, so I'd rather just be excited about the whole thing, and not argue about Darth Adam Driver's wonky lightsaber.

I'm trying not to get carried away, but the music and the Falcon and FIFAbot and the sounds of lightsabers turning on and my entire Facebook and Twitter feeds full of Star Wars comments is a lot to take in...<3

For as goofy as I find that opening shot of the trailer (Narrator: "Something has awoken" *almost comical shot of a man waking up in the desert*), the significance of having a black Stormtrooper being the first thing you see in a Star Wars movie is not lost on me. That character and the prominent woman are hopeful signs that Star Wars is moving away from its male, whitewashed universe.

I don't think these films will be My Thing, but if they are good, I like the idea of a six-year-old girl watching these new movies and getting better role models than I had as a little girl watching Empire Strikes Back.

FIFA BOT

What's the problem with a tracking camera? I'm not being shitty, I just don't understand why that's considered bad

I thought it looked badass! Damn sight more badass than anything that happened in the firewatch trailer BOOM :P

Nothing is objectively bad about those shots, but they have not really been in the visual language of main line Star Wars until this trailer. It's not the worst thing in the world but it is what, more than anything, made me feel Abrams' presence behind the camera.

Also if it's not clear* I am still secretly pretty psyched about these movies even though I know I won't enjoy them as much as my inner 12 year old would like me to. It's strange to be watching this stuff as an adult, obviously more critical and wit different tastes than I had when I really deeply loved Star Wars. I see all these things and get excited, and that is mixed with both emotional and logical reasons to temper that excitement, and it leaves me just sort of in a middle ground where I'm expecting to have a good time in the theater, know parts of the film will annoy me, and don't really care. I guess that just means I'll enjoy it, with the to-be-ignored presence of a lot of very vague and inconsequential historical baggage. Okay then.

* it's probably clear.

I'm keen. When I saw the speeder I thought "wow that looks odd" but I really like that the design is going back to the blocky tank side of the futurespace engineering aesthetic.

I like a few of the designs from the prequels but as I grew older I decided that the original trilogy vehicles and buildings not only looked cooler but were wayyy more memorable.

Anyway I have been a rabid star wars fan in the past and this trailer reignited a bit of that for me. I loved the wood shot and the hint that parts of the film will have a slow almost pathological pace also the framing in that shot made me so happy.

Now there's nothing left to do but follow Ben's method and live in Tor in the Highlands until this movie finally comes out.

Y'know I think that as much as I enjoyed the Falcon when I was younger what I'd really like to see this series is for it to be almost completely destroyed and seen in this dis-repaired, derelict state for a non insubstantial amount of narrative time even if it dose end up being restored for everyone to go 'Woah!' at.

I'm sure it'll be a fun competent film, just like the last two Star Treks. My concern is that the last two Star Treks jettisoned the (warp) core of the series as stories about ideas and zeroed in on the Kirk-Spock conflict between two boys from different worlds who must resolve their differences yadda yadda, and made it into a slick Mission Impossible JJ lensflarefest. Now, they can be very entertaining but is that Star Wars? Do I want JJ Abrams' fingerprints smudging my ideas of Star Wars? Does it even matter? Probably not. I think this may survive JJisation better than Trek because Trek's ideas are always better explored in the context of a TV series. But the panning, lens flare, sabre doohickeys and the impossible rotating camera with the Falcon set off small alarm bells.

it's neat that there are cool things in the trailer but storywise there is literally nothing to go on, so I'll reserve extreme excitement.

I wonder if those x-wings will be fighting off against a giant imperial water sucker, like in Rebal Assault 2... Nope, I mean rogue squadron 2 or was it 3. I'll start again.

I wonder if those x-wings will be fighting off against a giant imperial water sucker like in that video game.

Bjorn, on 28 Nov 2014 - 20:33, said:

If they just go full Tokien fantasy and have a race of space dwarves wielding lighthammers and lightaxes, STAR WARS WILL BE THE GREATEST FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

Twig, on 28 Nov 2014 - 20:36, said:

That'll certainly get me interested. More things could use dwarves. ESPECIALLY Star Wars.

Bjorn, on 28 Nov 2014 - 21:01, said:

Dwarves rule, elves jedis drool!

But where do Ewoks come into the whole Space [Marine] Dwarves thing? I suppose they are excluded from laser weapon use, tree huggers that they are.

I for one would never have guessed that it is in fact Andy Serkis doing the narration in that trailer!

I just remember he played/voiced caesar in dawn of the planet of the apes.

Listen to him say "war has already begun" at the beginning of this video. Quite similar to Star Wars voice

Or at least proves he's got voices :)

I don't really mind the spin but it's surprising how flattening the horizon suddenly brings that shot right into "classic Star Wars" feeling framing and motion. It's a reminder that you don't have to hold the lily, but that is what JJ (and some shots in return of the Jedi) loves to do.

That said, the way he shot the Enterprise exteriors in the first Star Trek (the other iconic spaceship in popular sci fi), I fully loved. That ship was almost never fully in frame until late in the movie, and it made it feel like both a submarine and a city in the best way. The early reveal of the Enterprise conveyed the grandeur and bulk of a Star Trek vessel better than any previous Trek had, to me. So I am not trying to sell him or his abilities short or something. I just think he sometimes gets flashy when whats going on is already rad enough on its own.

But where do Ewoks come into the whole Space [Marine] Dwarves thing? I suppose they are excluded from laser weapon use, tree huggers that they are.

Ewoks are the Hobbits/Halflings of the SW universe, obviously. 

If I can't have a dwarf, I would be satisfied if a Wookie Jedi were given a lightaxe.  That would be appropriate.

Ewoks are the Hobbits/Halflings of the SW universe, obviously. 

If I can't have a dwarf, I would be satisfied if a Wookie Jedi were given a lightaxe.  That would be appropriate.

Agreed, that's definitely an acceptable compromise.

it's neat that there are cool things in the trailer but storywise there is literally nothing to go on, so I'll reserve extreme excitement.

I'm mostly just bummed that there's going to be a Sith antagonist at the center of things again. I thought that the Expanded Universe and the prequels taught everyone that Jedis and lightsabers are cool, but they can't be the driving force of your plot because it makes the whole movie into esoteric wizard politics like that handful of scenes from Lord of the Rings. The classic struggle is between Rebellion and Empire, with that between light and dark existing on a higher allegorical level.

Also, regarding the broadsaber or whatever, the lightsaber is a good example of something so dumb it's cool not becoming even cooler if you make it dumber.

Broadswords are literally the coolest of swords and this is undeniable FACT ergo broadsabers are more cooler than lightsabers.

Broadswords are literally the coolest of swords and this is undeniable FACT ergo broadsabers are more cooler than lightsabers.

It's going to suck when we all die and go to heaven and are given our own personal lightsaber and you're stuck with the dumb broadsaber because you had to go and lie on an internet forum.

Name a cooler sword than a broadsword HAHA YOU CAN'T!