melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

#SJW

MkuQL9e.png

I cracked up at #yourshieldwillbequiteoperationalwhenyourfriendsarrive, very well done.

Seriously, though, I don't get the point here. They've got too many creatives working on the franchise? Too many films planned at once, MCU style?

I suspect there's a big influence from the Too Many Cooks short film Adult Swim has.

Ah, thanks, had not heard of it! So that was memeception, basically.

I don't think anyone has mentioned either of these here, but I've been watching Star Wars Rebels and just got finished reading the tie-in novel A New Dawn. Taking the fact that Rebels is a Cartoon Network animated series, I think it's doing a fine job of following Clone Wars but with fresher characters I just generally care more about at this point. That made A New Dawn that much more enjoyable, as it was an origin story for some of Rebels's characters and gave me a real Corran Horn/X-Wing feel.

Anyways, both of these post-EU-busting are giving me hope that Star Wars can still be relevant to me as a die hard fan.

If that shitty lightsaber and associated camera-tracking-through-darkness shots hadn't been in the trailer I think I would be in a dangerous place re: anticipating this movie. Instead that exactly met my expectations, and remains comfortably seated in "I hope it turns out to be good, so I have another fun movie to watch in about a year, but otherwise this is something I don't have to pay attention to."

I would love it if filmmakers would just call me up when they're about to make a decision, and they instead tell me what they're thinking, and I think about it a second, and say, "no, hey, J.J., the lightsaber, as an object, is about as iconic as they come. There's two parts: something you hold, and a glowing bit. You...you don't need to add anything to that. I know maybe Disney is like: 'hey, we gotta have a new toy, J.J.,' but seriously, just push back on this one."

That lightsaber was hella dumb.

The rest of it teased me though. Play the Star Wars theme while the Falcon is on-screen, that'll do it for me...

Thats was soooo good. I felt excitement!

Screw all of ya'll, broadsword lightsaber was cool, and kind of makes sense really... you try having a sword fight wielding a sword without a hilt, you'd probably die extremely quickly

What do you mean? What is the cross guard protecting you from? Specifically, what is the cross guard on that dumb red sparkey lightsaber protecting sith woodsman from?

8mkpEv2.gif

Less dumb lightsabers, more cool X-Wing shit, plz

I know I'm in the minority but I want less "cool shit" too. I don't want an over the top action movie because I can't think of the last one of those that I liked. I want an adventure movie that's about the characters. The thing I want least of all are masturbatory light sabre duels.

Sorry for being such a downer.

I like what they did with the look of the thing. The art direction seems reined in, at least from what they're showing. But then again, it could be terrible, and there could be a guy with an even worse looking lightsaber in it, one that's shaped like a corkscrew or something.

I just saw the light sabre as being from the same speciality vendor who stocks the one(s) Darth Maul used. The world is full of fancy ornamental swords so might as well treat the sabre the same way.

I know I'm in the minority but I want less "cool shit" too. I don't want an over the top action movie because I can't think of the last one of those that I liked. I want an adventure movie that's about the characters. The thing I want least of all are masturbatory light sabre duels.

Sorry for being such a downer.

No, that's not being a downer! Asking for strong and nuanced characters, with well-written dialogue and interesting relationships is perfectly valid. I want that too! I just also want X-wing dogfights.  

I just saw the light sabre as being from the same vendor as the same speciality vendor who stocks the one(s) Darth Maul used. The world is full of fancy ornamental swords so might as well treat the sabre the same way.

As a non-fan of Star Wars, this is also how I feel.

I just don't want this to be another interchangeable action-adventure movie with Star Wars flavoring. If there's a ultimate force-power MacGuffin I'm going to barf.

That score, though. Omg.

What do you mean? What is the cross guard protecting you from? Specifically, what is the cross guard on that dumb red sparkey lightsaber protecting sith woodsman from?

I mean. We'll have a light sabre fight. Me with my hilted broadsaber, you with you puny yet elegant lightsaber. We both swing might blows at one another and our sabers clash, sparks fly. The sabers sizzle and squeal as our fight become a test of strength, pushing our sabers against each other, we slowly edge closer together as our sabers slide against each other, closer and closer, you can taste my fowl smelling breath, closer still, until your saber butts up against my saber hilt, but my saber keeps sliding. A look of horror falls upon your face as you realise what happens next. Your severed fingers litter the floor like a a family of slugs.