melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

"Luke used the Force so the Force is awake" is a pretty weak criticism. In the EU, it took Luke a damn long time before he felt like a Jedi Master. Even then, he dealt with new elements of the Force on a regular basis, challenging his "mastery" at every opportunity. One step further, it took him lots of failure before he felt like he was a good enough teacher to actually take on apprentices. Tldr, I don't really think the Force was awake after RotJ.

Out of all the potential stories in the EU, I can see Kyp Durron's story as something they could co-opt. Namely, have Luke be a "Jedi Master" but not really a great teacher, have him with several apprentices, one is corrupted by the Dark Side and runs off to train to be a Sith on his/her own. Luke is challenged to find new ways of the Force to oppose a more "real" Sith than Vader ever was.

I kind of agree with CollegeBaby.  I don't think it could apply to any of the movies but it's a really generic sounding name that doesn't tell me anything.  There's nothing wrong with that, very few movie titles say anything useful.  But when I think of other Star Wars movie titles I feel like they told me something.  As goofy as the names Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are, they tell you something about those movies (Phantom Menace and A New Hope are pretty uninformative titles).  If I knew nothing about Star Wars except the titles of those movies, I feel like I might still have a vague idea what they're about.

Of course this is being said when I know nothing of the movie so perhaps in hindsight it'll be more fitting.  I'm also pretty indifferent to Star Wars at this point so any movie title would have little meaning for me.

It's a generic name, but it serves the purpose of setting up an expansion of the jedi/force users for the start of this new trilogy. It's practical and uncreative, but it's a subtitle that does have some meaning in it. It's just framed in a really boring way.

Guys, starting a protest on the new SW name, calling it #stargate. Help plz.

Star Wars is my favorite, but Stargate is still dear to me. Stargate is #notyourshield #stargategate

I laughed entirely too hard at this

Star Wars is my favorite, but Stargate is still dear to me. Stargate is #notyourshield #stargategate

To quote Comic Book Guy, "of the four Star franchises: Wars, Trek, Gate, and Search, Gate is easily my third favorite"

#yourshieldwillbequiteoperationalwhenyourfriendsarrive

I agree that the title is generic or vague, but no more than the others, that's why it fits! In fact, I'd say Return Of The Jedi doesn't really fit the story of that film, and Attack Of The Clones is purposefully misleading - a gag that you can only understand once you've seen the film.

Considering the lead Jedi Masters die in both Episode 1 and Episode 4 it would be an extreme lack of awareness to kill whatever Jedi Masters remain in Episode 7, unless perhaps if it was in the first act. Do you honestly think there would ever be a Star Wars trilogy without Jedis though?

No, but you said ""The Force Awakens" can be applied to literally any first installment of a Star Wars trilogy, whatever the premise."

I guess part of the problem is that "The Force Awakens" is designed to be a sub-title. The original trilogy were titles in their own right and turned into Star Wars sub-titles later on.

Yeah, basically everyone called the original movie "A New Hope"

that is a thing that happened

this conversation makes me very suspicious

what is it about Star Wars that makes people lose their minds

Drowning in a puddle of liquid poop will do that to you!

Okay I filled my Star Wars hate quota for a good while. I'm leaving. No stop hitting me please I'm leaving!

Yeah, basically everyone called the original movie "A New Hope"

that is a thing that happened

this conversation makes me very suspicious

No, it was known by it's original title "Star Wars". The "A New Hope" sub-title was added later on in 1981. "The Empire Strikes Back" & "Return of the Jedi" was titles in their own right though.

No, it was known by it's original title "Star Wars". The "A New Hope" sub-title was added later on in 1981. "The Empire Strikes Back" & "Return of the Jedi" was titles in their own right though.

I was being sarcastic, because I genuinely did not know they didn't release the other two Star Wars films under the name Star Wars.

I feel like I'm being a jerk so I'm gonna say I'm really excited to see Rian Johnson write/direct the other 2 films! I have mixed feelings about J.J., but it seems that Hollywood is taking its mega-franchises more seriously after the Nolan-Batman films and giving them to good modern directors instead of hacks. Gareth Edwards doing a stand-alone film is also interesting, whatever the hell that thing is.

I feel like I'm being a jerk so I'm gonna say I'm really excited to see Rian Johnson write/direct the other 2 films! I have mixed feelings about J.J., but it seems that Hollywood is taking its mega-franchises more seriously after the Nolan-Batman films and giving them to good modern directors instead of hacks. Gareth Edwards doing a stand-alone film is also interesting, whatever the hell that thing is.

Yeah, I'm happy with all the director choices - should hopefully get some fun, zippy space opera out of them!

Too easy?

post-33601-0-66518900-1415394229_thumb.png

I kind of also want to make a red arrow filled conspiracy image explaining the connections between MacGuyver, Twin Peaks, Stargate and Farscape.

From a friend, just say it out loud:

post-33601-0-16578800-1415400267_thumb.png

I have to admit, it was a very bold move casting Tom Hanks as Jar-Jar, and making the whole movie a biopic about his life.

...spoil the Hoth?

Seriously, though, I don't get the point here. They've got too many creatives working on the franchise? Too many films planned at once, MCU style?