melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Disney confirmed that the door to the Falcon fell on Harrison Ford's ankle during filming. Poor guy.

'Course, since I'm an ass,

Ford getting a leg injury on set makes this film feel more authentic, somehow.

Man, are we not done with that joke yet? Hasn't this joke been around since the prequels? It's time to let it die.

Man, are we not done with that joke yet? Hasn't this joke been around since the prequels? It's time to let it die.

If they won't let Star Wars die, then I won't let old stale jokes about Star Wars die!  You can take my childhood, but you can't take my stunted sense of humor!

Rian Johnson attached as director of Star Wars 8 (and 9?) is literally the first thing that piqued my interest about these films. I mean, three quarters of 12 Years a Slave's cast involved is vaguely interesting, but Rian Johnson gets story in a way that JJ Abrams doesn't so it's really the first sign that the cast might actually have something worth doing.

Rian Johnson attached as director of Star Wars 8 (and 9?) is literally the first thing that piqued my interest about these films. I mean, three quarters of 12 Years a Slave's cast involved is vaguely interesting, but Rian Johnson gets story in a way that JJ Abrams doesn't so it's really the first sign that the cast might actually have something worth doing.

Yes, yes, yes. Loved Brick, Brothers Bloom and to a lesser extent Looper. Weirdly enough, I think Brick and Brothers Bloom give me more faith in Star Wars being interesting than doubt because Looper was okay but not great. If Johnson can bring even a hint of the noir and caper aspects that make those films good to the central trilogy of Star Wars, I'll be very satisfied.

While I am an Abrams (and Edwards and Trank) fan, this is really the name that made me excited for their Mission Impossible-style plan of commercial-auteur driven franchise.

Brick > Looper > Brothers Bloom imo, though Johnson's appearance on Kevin Smith's podcast made me want to re-watch and re-evaluate BB.

I put Looper in front of Brick and Brothers Bloom but honestly I think we all agree that Rian Johnson is a talented and versatile director.

I've seen a bunch of negative reactions to Looper recently and don't really get them. I liked it an awful lot.

Yeah Looper is officially 'universally acclaimed' so that's weird.

Since I seem to be the only one who doesn't super love Looper, my somewhat spoilery thoughts briefly -

Rian Johnson's message before Looper released was that while the time travel mechanic was certainly science-fiction, his intention was that it was a device to drive plot rather than something that needs to be explained or examined. I liked this idea, because it meant that Looper had potential to go beyond its genre roots. Keeping that in mind, the whole telepathic aspect to the plot seemed antithetical to the philosophy of that original intent; the story could fairly easily have been told with absolutely no telepathy, but it seemed a bit of genre eye candy so why not throw it in there? While Johnson's world-building is to be admired and the time-travel/telepathy contributed to a more consistent environment, the telepathy didn't seem narratively essential or even overly effective.

This is one of those situations where my expectations played a big part in my dissatisfaction. Nonetheless, I did enjoy the movie and felt it was a good addition to Rian Johnson's repertoire. I just thought it was good, not great. Plus, I think Looper is more attached to genre conventions than both of Johnson's other films so it makes me somewhat cautious about how he'll handle Star Wars.

Nothing as far as I know. I was under the impression that Michael Arndt wrote pretty much the whole SW7 script.

Also, I'd be super stoked for Tom Cruise in SW. I honestly think he's an amazing actor and I think he could do a lot with lore-heavy sci-fi movie.

Tom Cruise mostly ruins movies for me now.  I can't see him without thinking about how batshit evil and crazy he's become, which kills any sense of immersion in the movie.