melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

it's just neat that the games and the books and the comics all "counted" because it feels like everyone had a stake in making a fun fictional thing. I guess my feeling is if it's a silly point to argue that it doesn't matter that it no longer counts, it's silly enough there's no need to say it doesn't count.

I still don't understand why people care. The books or whatever you like aren't going to disappear from the earth or your memory. What difference does it make if someone declares them "official" or not?

I think Gormongous' reasoning makes the most sense to me.  Obviously the books aren't going to be collected and burned with all copies destroyed, but it does make them seem less "legitimate" and more like elaborate fan fiction.  What's likely going to happen is the current EU will slowly die out and a new EU will rise up in its place based on the new movies.  For fans of the previous EU, it basically means the universe they were interested in is ending and being replaced with something that is likely to suck.

Of course I'm arguing for a position that isn't my own so I basically have no idea what I'm talking about.

It would be pretty terrific if they made Luke Skywalker go nuts and kill Han Solo in the first ten minutes of the film. I would like that. The whole film would be this dark excursion into going mad, like an abyssal Bad Lieutenant in space.

They're clearly trying to recapture a lot from the oringal trilogy. The tone, the dog fighting etc

The most iconic moment of the original trilogy is that "Luke, I am your father" mega twist. I can see the producers of this new trilogy saying we need to have that holy shit moment. The easiest way to do that would be to reveal or do something to one of the original cast members. Luke or Leia reaveling themselves as a Sith Lord in the 3rd act of movie two

I think Gormongous' reasoning makes the most sense to me.  Obviously the books aren't going to be collected and burned with all copies destroyed, but it does make them seem less "legitimate" and more like elaborate fan fiction.  What's likely going to happen is the current EU will slowly die out and a new EU will rise up in its place based on the new movies.  For fans of the previous EU, it basically means the universe they were interested in is ending and being replaced with something that is likely to suck.

Of course I'm arguing for a position that isn't my own so I basically have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yeah, you get me just fine. I was thinking about it while running errands tonight and decided that it's most like the feeling of having DVD replace VHS. Because some company somewhere made an announcement, you own a lot of stuff that's obsolete all of a sudden and that'll slowly but surely fade from relevancy. You can still watch your VHS tapes all you want, but you aren't really participating in the culture the same way, which is a little sad, probably about as sad as someone who's clinging to VHS tapes when the rest of the world is watching DVDs.

The matter of technological progress aside, does that make sense? I think we've all talked this particular subtopic into the ground, really.

It would be pretty terrific if they made Luke Skywalker go nuts and kill Han Solo in the first ten minutes of the film. I would like that. The whole film would be this dark excursion into going mad, like an abyssal Bad Lieutenant in space.

They're clearly trying to recapture a lot from the oringal trilogy. The tone, the dog fighting etc

The most iconic moment of the original trilogy is that "Luke, I am your father" mega twist. I can see the producers of this new trilogy saying we need to have that holy shit moment. The easiest way to do that would be to reveal or do something to one of the original cast members. Luke or Leia reaveling themselves as a Sith Lord in the 3rd act of movie two

A lot of the good stuff in the Expanded Universe was subverting Luke and Han (Leia, not so much) as the instantly recognizable heroes they'd become to the fandom. I'd like to see it happen in the new movies too, especially with Hamil's obvious villain chops, but I wonder if it'll be less impactful now that the prequel movies have already done so much real-life work stripping away the myths and mystery of Star Wars.

The new trilogy will be an exhaustive look into the workings of Midichlorians. There's a Midichlorian factory on a planet.

Yes, I want the new trilogy to be exclusively about Midichlorians. A Midichlorian Encyclopedia, if you will. Feels like they haven't thoroughly explained that concept yet.

Midichlorians Punnett Squares coming to Wii U, iOS, Android, and Xbox One Kinect in Fall 2014!

It's really sort of amazing that Hamill's not some sort of nerd deity; considering that he's been in Star Wars, Batman, Adventure Time, and multiple Studio Ghibli films.

Hamill's not nerd royalty? People go nuts over him. He's Luke Skywalker and one of the best-loved Jokers of all time.

He's not exactly a public figure, you're right, but that doesn't make him less of a hero to many. Why do you have the idea that he's not, Tegan?

I don't hear nearly as much buzz around him as other nerd icons like Joss Whedon or Kevin Conroy or what have you.

I don't hear nearly as much buzz around him as other nerd icons like Joss Whedon or Kevin Conroy or what have you.

I feel like he isn't interested in being a nerd celebrity. He seems to have pretty diverse interests and probably doesn't want to be pigeonholed, let alone spend the energy it takes to court and flatter a given fandom. A less conspicuous Nimoy, maybe. I can't say I blame either.

It's really sort of amazing that Hamill's not some sort of nerd deity; considering that he's been in Star Wars, Batman, Adventure Time, and multiple Studio Ghibli films.

And Wing Commander.

And Futurama and Dark Cloud 2 and Avatar etc etc etc. I just picked four that I felt best covered the full spectrum of nerdery.

Mark Hamill: Accomplished Voice Actor Who Also Played That Kid In That Space Opera From The 70s

Moment of self awareness time. 

In another thread, SWG came up.  There is nothing Star Wars related that I enjoyed more than the pre-NGE version of that game.  When the NGE destroyed my character (by completely removing its class from the game), and radically changed the game I loved, I bailed on it, and in many ways lost any particular affection for Star Wars.  The new trilogy was proving to be disappointing, and the only thing about Star Wars I really cared about had been quite literally deleted from existence. 

I think there's an analogy there for the people who enjoyed and got into the EU stuff.  At least it still exists, but now there is the unknown of whether there will be new things that will be as good, or will it be the EU equivalent of the NGE. 

So maybe an earlier me understands and sympathizes with those feelings better than I had realized.

It sounds like some of the EU characters are turning up, and I think they'd be insane not to at least have a Mara Jade-like character. It might not be canon, but people really seem to like her specifically so she probably works for what Star Wars is.

Ok.... I don't mind CG. I love CG. I love learning how its done, I love discussing in detail how to try to reproduce offline CG in realtime.

Buuuuuuut. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67267

Gaaaaah! I want to see it so bad. So bad! Screw being too cool for school. I want to get excited, I like getting excited. That's half the fun. GIMME!