melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

It's a bit like allowing a shitty sequel to ruin your enjoyment of a superb predecessor. In the name of not getting stressed out by really unimportant stuff, it's good to learn how to not be bothered by these things and just enjoy works as they are.

The invalidation of the EU as canon thing made me laugh.  I've only ever read 2 Star Wars books (Shadows of the Empire and Truce at Bakura which I stopped reading halfway through) so the loss means basically nothing to me, but I can totally see some hardcore fans interpreting the move as a giant middle finger.  "Hey, you know all that stuff you've been reading for the last 2 decades or so?  Well none of it REALLY happened.  Here's what actually happened..."  That is of course a gross exaggeration but it amused me to think of it that way.

As for the movie itself, I'm about as excited for it as I am any other movie blockbuster.  I'll probably watch it at some point but I'm not more vested in it than any other film series that probably should have stopped years ago.

None of it happened anyway because it's all made up

Remember that TV series they had in the works, a hell of a lot of work must of went into that thing, I'm pretty sure the last I heard of it was that they were casting, so must have been pretty far along. I wonder if any info about it will ever surface.

The Expanded Universe is a known quantity. It might be of uneven quality, like Wikipedia Brown says, but I think anyone who's invested any substantive amount of time and care in it is going to feel just a little anxious about having it deliberately set aside in favor of some unknown quantity, especially in a franchise that historically hasn't treated its fans kindly and with a director known for his divisive reboot of another franchise.

Thank you.

I honestly feel like some of you guys are being incredibly reductive and overly logical about a mostly emotional feeling. Guys, I get it. I don't feel destroyed or furious. I just feel kinda disappointed because something I grew up with is no longer at thing that's continuing to happen, and instead being rebooted in favor of a new direction. Am I not allowed to simply be disappointed by that, but rather be misguided because I'm apparently putting too much stock in a rightsholder decision or because I think that thing based on what I consider to be good stuff is being discarded in favor of thing based on what I consider to be unknown stuff?

No, you're not allowed! Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

I liked the X-Wing books until they had to go and make the lead character (kinda, there were a lot of characters that traded around the lead really) into a Jedi all of a sudden. I never liked the Jedi stuff (except for the sword fighting, sword fighting rules in the past or in the future.) Since that's what everyone fixates on, I imagine that the next three Star Wars movies will lean on it pretty hard. Hopefully, not quite as hard as the prequels.

Your feelings are not canon Jon.

* I love you Jon.

:-(

:-)

Kris Straub has got your back:

201109071.png

To be fair, this sentence could be used to invalidate anyone's anxiety about any future thing or event.

The Expanded Universe is a known quantity. It might be of uneven quality, like Wikipedia Brown says, but I think anyone who's invested any substantive amount of time and care in it is going to feel just a little anxious about having it deliberately set aside in favor of some unknown quantity, especially in a franchise that historically hasn't treated its fans kindly and with a director known for his divisive reboot of another franchise.

Like I said, I invested as much time as anyone on the planet did for like 2 years of my life. And it's really not a big deal!

Think of it this way. They COULD take an expanded universe story, and still make it crap! There's no guarantee that it would be good, and no guarantee that doing something original is bad.

I.E. You're emotions are illogical, don't let them cloud your judgement. That way leads to the darkside of fanboyism  :o

And it's really not a big deal!

Man, read JonCole's post like five above yours. No one's saying it's a big deal, some people are just defending their right to feel a little let down by the announcement. There's no reason at all to suppress those feelings with Socratic skepticism.

I am very glad that Llewyn Davis off Inside Llewyn Davis is in this film. I loved him a lot in Inside Llewyn Davis.

Boo this man! Boo him. It was real fiction.

I loved the X-Wing books, but man having gone back to them after adulthood made me realize they're... not for adults. The characters all have the same thought patterns and the writing is so stilted. It makes me sort of sad.

The Aaron Allston books were still funny, though.

The only thing I want is for Abrams to not blow his wad and make another fucking "mystery box" film as he's done with his latest projects. Also, make an actual script, not a stitching job of a bunch of references so that nerds will salivate for (hint: they won't).

Try telling that to portions of the internet.

Despite being one of those nerds who will point out inconsistencies, I also know that in the end most of the time they don't really matter so I'm not bothered by "canon" ceasing to exist.  I do sympathize with JonCole's position that they're basically taking a potentially rich source and throwing it all away to tell their own potentially terrible story.  I would likely be upset at someone telling me that something I enjoyed as a kid was basically null and void because the official source said so, but I don't think I'm invested in anything like that.

Man, read JonCole's post like five above yours. No one's saying it's a big deal, some people are just defending their right to feel a little let down by the announcement. There's no reason at all to suppress those feelings with Socratic skepticism.

*Headsmack

The internet really needs a sarcasm font. Since there isn't one I'll just be leaving now  :fart:

*Headsmack

The internet really needs a sarcasm font. Since there isn't one I'll just be leaving now :fart:

Oops, my bad! Poe's law and all that.

I still don't understand why people care. The books or whatever you like aren't going to disappear from the earth or your memory. What difference does it make if someone declares them "official" or not?

Surely it's exciting, they can do absolutely anything with these new movies. What if in the interim Luke Skywalker succumbed to the Darkside and will be this trilogies main bad guy. Put that in you fucking pipe and smoke it.

Imagine if Luke skywalker slaughters han solo in the first ten minutes of the movie. I literally just thought of this as an example but now it seems so right. Making Luke Skywalker the big bad of these movies would be soooooooo good

I still don't understand why people care. The books or whatever you like aren't going to disappear from the earth or your memory. What difference does it make if someone declares them "official" or not?

You seriously don't have a single franchise or fictional universe that would let you down at all if the people in charge declared a large part of it to be deprecated and likely receive no further attention? I mean, my childhood isn't ruined, but I'm still a bit miffed.

You seriously don't have a single franchise or fictional universe that would let you down at all if the people in charge declared a large part of it to be deprecated and likely receive no further attention? I mean, my childhood isn't ruined, but I'm still a bit miffed.

Mad Men has all been a dream, a battlefield hallucination by Don Draper in Korea.  The series ends with producers promising a new show revealing what really happened to him after the war.

Surely it's exciting, they can do absolutely anything with these new movies. What if in the interim Luke Skywalker succumbed to the Darkside and will be this trilogies main bad guy. Put that in you fucking pipe and smoke it.

Imagine if Luke skywalker slaughters han solo in the first ten minutes of the movie. I literally just thought of this as an example but now it seems so right. Making Luke Skywalker the big bad of these movies would be soooooooo good

In the EU, Emperor Palpatine makes clones of himself so that his imprint in the Force could simply transfer to a new body in the event of his death. A series of events leads to Skywalker being stuck on Coruscant, where he is captured by clone-Palpatine's forces and brought to the emperor. Skywalker realizes that he can't beat Palpatine alone, so he submits to being the Emperor's servant in hopes to cut out Palpatine's legs from under him. Instead, he is genuinely seduced by the Dark Side and it takes all of his compatriots to get him to snap out of it.

I mean, it's not an amazing story but it already exists. It's part of why I'm a bit disappointed by this choice. There's plenty of storylines rich with interesting plot twists that the new movies will almost certainly ring similarly to, so it just seems a shame for them to more or less abandon it. I guess I just wish that there was a way to do this without invalidating the EU, but I suppose its easier to just do it this way.

Also, i hope they don't make Skywalker a bad guy. Mostly because it'd strike me as too similar to Anakin's storyline. I hope it's really ultimately not about the original cast and that they just provide a backdrop. Maybe Skywalker trained a Padawan who turns to be a Dark Jedi, travels to Korriban and becomes a real Sith Lord by going through the ruins and learning from the force ghosts of Sith lords past. A Sith ruins fight would be pretty cool.

Luke Skywalker as a bad person is an even worse plot arc than watching Anakin Skywalker grow up. He's had 30 years in the public consciousness as one of the ultimate movie Good Guys.

I honestly don't know precisely? But, changing things is changing them and it rubs people the wrong way. What if Big Bird didn't exist? That would probably make a bunch of grown ups mad but it doesn't "matter" because all the Big Bird is still in Sesame Street.

Travels to Korriban and becomes a real Sith Lord by going through the ruins and learning from the force ghosts of Sith lords past. A Sith ruins fight would be pretty cool.

Sorry bub, none of that stuff exists anymore if all EU is now non-canon. Wow that does suck! I read a Darth Bane book like 6 years ago and I actually really enjoyed it, Bane hanging out in a sith enclave on Korriban with lots of in fighting and back stabbing. All the distant history stuff was kinda good and would be a shame if it was all cut :( I now see your point

I actually also read the comic with the clone Emperors, I didn't even remember Luke turned nasty (I do now). That comic was bad

Sorry bub, none of that stuff exists anymore if all EU is now non-canon. Wow that does suck! I read a Darth Bane book like 6 years ago and I actually really enjoyed it, Bane hanging out in a sith enclave on Korriban with lots of in fighting and back stabbing. All the distant history stuff was kinda good and would be a shame if it was all cut :( I now see your point

I actually also read the comic with the clone Emperors, I didn't even remember Luke turned nasty (I do know). That comic was bad

I'm pretty sure Korriban is in The Clone Wars at some point (theoretically making it canon), though I'm not through it yet so I can't say with certainty. While I could probably tell you a handful of the coolest Sith lords of past, I don't really know how important it is to preserve that history. The whole idea of a Sith homeworld is pretty cool and worth preserving, though.