melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

Why wait till may the 4th

Cast announced

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

I can't help but feel Adam Driver is going to be this trilogies goofy alien

Wow I wonder if John Boyega will be the lead "Luke Skywalker" type role. Will people lose their shit about a black lead in Star Wars?

I can't help but feel Adam Driver is going to be this trilogies goofy alien

Not Andy Serkis?

They announced just recently that they were declaring the entire Star Wars expanded universe non-canon so that they could just ignore it and focus on making a movie, but I hope that to make up for it they decide to make this canon instead.

I think they declared expanded universe non-canon back when they originally announced the movie. I remember much internet anger, and my own glee at Star Wars fans being upset because STAR WARS SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

all right that's my obligatory post now i'm out

I can see Domhnall Gleeson being related to Obi Won, I was reading a rumour earlier that obi won got jiggy on tantooween and fathered some kids

Andy Serkis will definitely be playing an alien, but I think he'd be wasted on the comic relief part. I'd image they'll have a lot more alien roles now with today's CGI.

They're creating a new books series that are part of the new canon

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/25/new-star-wars-book-line-announced

I bet Max von Sydow will be playing obi wons ghost (actually I take this back, he's probably going to be an evil imperial general. Tarkins son innit)

And Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley will be leia and Hans children

Am I miss spelling all these Star Wars names :)

I wonder if Fisher and Ford will get hammered together on set for old time's sake.

@JBoyega has got a verified twitter account and yet only 3500 followers, I though you had to get around 50,000 followers before twitter recognised you. THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN. watch his twitter followers sky rocket

I guess, just like I didn't much care to know about the story of how Anakin fell to the dark side, I don't much care to know what happens to Luke and the gang after the death of palpatine. It makes me sad that they're going to prop up ol' growleymouth Harrison Ford and make him go through that wry scoundrel act again. It's a nice, fine cast of actors...although it only lists two ladies, and would it really kill the casting director of a Star Wars film to perhaps find someone of Latino or Asian descent? 

@JBoyega has got a verified twitter account and yet only 3500 followers, I though you had to get around 50,000 followers before twitter recognised you. THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN. watch his twitter followers sky rocket

I've seen people with 10k and less have verified accounts. Who knows how that system works.

Also THIS CAST IS FUCKING STACKED. I don't want to get to hyped for this movie, but the idea of two of the Please Mr. Kennedy singers in the new Star Wars movie is so awesome. Why must expectations always be raised?

Can we have Gary Busey as the comedic sidekick for Ep VII?  Just let him pretend to be a Jedi, and try to move shit with his mind.  And talk to his pants.

This is the best idea.

post-33601-0-72661400-1398802905.jpg

Skywalker looks pretty grumpy/skeptical, too

(haha, somewhere in California, George Lucas probably looked at this picture on an ipad or whatever and frowned. I just thought about that it made me smile a lot)

would it really kill the casting director of a Star Wars film to perhaps find someone of Latino or Asian descent?

Oscar Isaac's got your back with his Guatemalan country of origin.

Bjorn, you are not wrong about that. Max von Sydow succumbs to the force and transmogrifies into Evil Emperor Busey.

Haha Harrison Ford gets pit stains! What a dork.

Hamill's default face is kind of like that, though, isn't it? I think he has kind of become the Joker.

I've also heard that lead female's reel that was on youtube was super adorable, but it has been taken down. :(

Oh you're right! I take that back! Cool! Jimmy Smits, I guess, was in the prequels.

As for Asians, The Neimodians don't count. Telsij does. "There's too many of them!"  

(haha, somewhere in California, George Lucas probably looked at this picture on an ipad or whatever and frowned. I just thought about that it made me smile a lot)

Lucas is actually hiding inside R2-D2. 

So apparently, Mr. Kennedy did shoot Llewyn Davis into space?

No, but Kathleen Kennedy is about to. BOOM!

EDIT: AND I get to start a new page with this!

I don't know why you wouldn't mine the expanded universe for its best ideas. That's what it's for. That's why you have an expanded universe: sell new shit to the fans, and if anyone comes up with good ideas in the expanded universe, swipe it. At this point half of Batman's drawing from ideas from 'non-canon'.

I don't know why you wouldn't mine the expanded universe for its best ideas. That's what it's for. That's why you have an expanded universe: sell new shit to the fans, and if anyone comes up with good ideas in the expanded universe, swipe it. At this point half of Batman's drawing from ideas from 'non-canon'.

Meh, I practically lived and breathed Expanded Universe stuff when I was like 11-12. I had twenty something EU novels, sketches of stuff I did on my wall, I was as big a fanboy as you could find.

But it's really for the best to just ignore that stuff. From an actual writing perspective Zahn's novels were the only thing really close to the original trilogy, and that being said better could still be done, and in a more movie like scope, scale, and style too. There's a difference between being a fan of that stuff and recognizing what's actually best for movies.

And Thrawn wasn't really a good Star Wars movie bad guy. He was icy where Grand Moff Tarkin was egotistically haughty, Vader was imposing and dreadful, and the emperor was just plain cackling evil. A more melodramatic tone is definitely called for in Star Wars. The other thing with Star Wars is that the good guys are supposed to be outgunned and outmanned, and while I'm not sure how or if they'll manage that this time, it didn't really feel that way with Zahn's novels, which I'm sure most other people agreed were already the best of the Expanded Universe. So I don't see it as a terrible problem to ignore that stuff.

PS please be good please be good please be good damnit!

I hope there isn't a whole lot of "Oh, you're Lando's son?!" "Ah, this is Kenobi's child from that time he borked someone on Tantooine!" "Hey, isn't that Emperor Palpatine's brother?"

But if there is a child of an old character I hope it's Daisy Ridley and she's Han and Leia's daughter and that this makes her the film's main character.

I am actually quite excited about this film, but I am obviously just setting myself up for disappointment yet again.