I was interested because it looked like music would be visualized in interesting logics and 3d spaces, but from what I've read and seen it looks I'll spend most of my time getting lost walking between trial and error puzzles. Is this not the case?

I've played about 90 minutes so far. There is plenty of aimless wandering, but the game is so visually stunning that it hasn't bothered me. There's always something new to see and the geometry is imaginative and beautiful. The puzzles I've encountered so far have been decipherable, but do require some spatial logic to pass. I have no idea how long it is or if the puzzles get to the point of feeling cheap, but I've already gotten my money's worth.

how does it compare to other walking simulators?

A lot of the walking simulators which mention exploring have disappointed me in the exploring section.

The surreality of the world and the puzzle mechanics make it more of a game than most "walking simulators." I have enjoyed peering off the edge of a geometric cliffside onto the pools of neon goo below while synth pads buzz and whir intermittently around me.

As stupid as it is for me to say this, I think I may wait for an Oculus Rift version. Your avatar has an influential slant to it.