Jake

Idle Thumbs 155: The Satisfaction of a Job Well Done

I appreciate the recommendation of the TIG Forums. I just browsed some of the dev-logs and it looks like a great resource.

It's a little bit of a forum troll hole but on balance I think you're right.

I believe the comment in the reader mail segment about "thongs" and "fuck a part of australia" was related to some beef Jeff Gerstman started a while ago on the emails segment of the Giant Bomb podcast.

#shotsfired

As a long time listener of the Bombcast, and a first time listener of Idle Thumbs, that thong comment in the emails was especially surreal.

As a long time listener of the Bombcast, and a first time listener of Idle Thumbs, that thong comment in the emails was especially surreal.

We didn't know what we were stepping into there, so we made sure to linger on and repeat it as many times as possible.

We didn't know what we were stepping into there, so we made sure to linger on and repeat it as many times as possible.

This makes me wonder what the best region of the UK is, and if any region is full of wankers.

It was as if you were opening up one of Elizabeth's rifts into an alternate dimension.  Scary stuff.

It was as if you were opening up one of Elizabeth's rifts into an alternate dimension.  Scary stuff.

Dishonored dimension?

Was anyone else annoyed that Chris kept saying that Hitman GO was deveoped by Ubisoft Montreal when it was actually developed by Eidos Montreal, but still got Eidos Montreal as the correct developer for Deus Ex: The Fall. Also, it's listed as "FTL: Ultimate Edition" in the games discussed, but it's actually "FTL: Advanced Edition."

Anyway, that's my dumb grumbling. Great episode guys!

Actually Hitman GO was developped by Square Enix Montreal, which is a different studio than Eidos Montreal.

Actually Hitman GO was developped by Square Enix Montreal, which is a different studio than Eidos Montreal.

Ah, I didn't realize that. In any case, still not Ubi Montreal.

Whoops I don't know why I said Ubisoft Montreal. I meant to say Eidos Montreal, which was apparently also incorrect but definitely the actually more-correct thing I intended to say.

Evidently locating your game development studio in Montreal is a terrible idea because people will only remember where the studio is located, and not actually who developed your game. I know I kept slipping up between Eidos and Square-Enix back when Deus Ex: HR came out...

Haha yeah. The terrible idea is naming studios "[insertcompanyname] Montreal". SO ORIGINAL.

And when you think about it, it's weird having a studio named after a company that doesn't exist anymore (Eidos).

My guess is that Hitman GO must've come out of a skunkworks-style team

It seems to be a trend atm to fill gaps in AAA development schedules with smaller titles. See also that Ubisoft team doing 2D engine stuff after Far Cry 3. Pretty cool.

It seems to be a trend atm to fill gaps in AAA development schedules with smaller titles. See also that Ubisoft team doing 2D engine stuff after Far Cry 3. Pretty cool.

Agreed. I have a fantasy where the smaller titles end up being successful enough that large studios all end up doing a Double Fine and funding their employees' sweet game ideas.

Smaller releases probably are already successful enough for that to make fiscal sense, except for the fact that it would require significant cultural and hierarchical upheaval, and large studios are resistant to change.

So I found the origins of the Bombcast Australian thong beef, and oh my god it's a Melbourne vs Sydney beef.

You know how most cities have beefs they work out via sports, and every year they play their rival city and metaphorical blood is spilled? We can't agree on the game. It's that bad.

(also they're called thongs because a strap of leather tied onto itself to secure an item of clothing was called a thong, and it's not hard to see how that got applied to both flip-flops, basically a bit of plastic with a thong strap, and g-strings, a bit of groin covering with a thong strap)

(the Bombcast can sort their own shit out, I'm not writing in)

The robot also played soccer with Obama! Sean is already being replaced.

Fuck everything else in this episode, I'm gonna' talk about Happy Meal toys.

I believe the Land Before Time toys Jake mentioned actually came from Pizza Hut, not McDonalds. Personally my jam was the collection of toys based on the 1999 Inspector Gadget movie, of all things. It was a set of 8 pieces of Inspector Gadget's body that all did different things: one arm was a squirt gun, one leg was a flashlight, etc. I painstakingly hunted them all down (even ordering a few directly from McDonalds when they were discontinued) and put them all together to make this cool guy:

HZNVUTl.jpg

And yes, McDonalds still gives out toys. A few years back when I still visited 4chan regularly, I remember seeing a lot of threads on /co/ about Happy Meal toys. This was back when My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was just beginning to build interest and there were no official toys yet. McDonalds released their own Happy Meal toys for the show and bronies telling stories about how they would go through the drive-through and order a Happy Meal "for their niece" and ask for "the blue one." It was the best.

Also I hope Nick gets a 3DS.

thankfully you left out the part where said 4chinners went home and drowned their happy meals ponies in a sea of ejaculate...

oops

You know how most cities have beefs they work out via sports, and every year they play their rival city and metaphorical blood is spilled? We can't agree on the game. It's that bad.

This is definitely a thing that happens.  My university and our in-state rival each excel at different sports (American football vs basketball), and so each team's fans basically refuse to acknowledge the validity of the sport that their team is bad at.