Jake

Idle Thumbs 155: The Satisfaction of a Job Well Done

I'm almost positive there's an old (#<50) episode of Idle Thumbs where they jokingly suggest an idea for a game which is essentially Viscera Clean Up Detail. Does anyone else remember that, or am I just imagining things? I know that when I first heard of Viscera Clean Up Detail (like a year ago), my first thought was, "Someone must've gotten the idea from Idle Thumbs! Surely they'll mention it on the show."

In other news, there was some webcomic that posted a couple of "Watchmen Kids" type strips that were very good, but all I can find anymore is this.

Viscera Clean Up Detail sounds a lot like a student project me and my classmates did back in 2010:

You were the people who cleaned up the city after all the superheroes and supervillains had finished all their fighting.

To do this you were equipped with gravity guns with which you could lift the heavy debris and place it back where it belonged.

Had both co-op and competitive modes!

Hahaha that's awesome

I'm almost positive there's an old (#<50) episode of Idle Thumbs where they jokingly suggest an idea for a game which is essentially Viscera Clean Up Detail. Does anyone else remember that, or am I just imagining things? I know that when I first heard of Viscera Clean Up Detail (like a year ago), my first thought was, "Someone must've gotten the idea from Idle Thumbs! Surely they'll mention it on the show."

In other news, there was some webcomic that posted a couple of "Watchmen Kids" type strips that were very good, but all I can find anymore is this.

That comic might be Gunshow by the talented KC Green. He did some baby Rorschach strips here.

The mouse-over beacon connection lines in FTL have been there for a long time (more than a year); I've been using it forever. It was just an option in the settings you had to turn on. Since Alex Navarro made a similar comment, I guess they just enabled it by default with the release of AE.

How could you not vote for a shirt called "Weapons Hot"? You're all off my gun cocking team.

Idle Weiss does look pretty cool though.

For people interested in the 7 hour long train ride in Norway video, you can get it here: http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng/ It's really awesome.

I will admit that one of the YouTube channels I subscribe to is some guy in Osaka who takes multi-hour long videos from the front of trains as they complete their routes. Sometimes he has multi-screen videos where he has "races" where he'll compare, say, how fast the JR, Hankyu, and Hanshin services go from Osaka to Kobe.

Most of the appeal to me is that I've lived in the environs and can go "Hey, that's where I'd stop and get Chinese food every other week!"

And does anyone have the video of the They're Just Little Guys robots?

Viscera Clean Up Detail sounds a lot like a student project me and my classmates did back in 2010:

You were the people who cleaned up the city after all the superheroes and supervillains had finished all their fighting.

To do this you were equipped with gravity guns with which you could lift the heavy debris and place it back where it belonged.

Damage Control!

That looks cool.

Not exactly Watchmen Kidz but, this is vaguely of interest.

Does anyone have a link to the video of the robots from ROBOTNEWS?

Is this the video of the tiny bots?

I think it's the one. 

It's really interesting but also really disturbingly creepy somehow. 

Excellent! Please consider releasing this and / or bring it to the attention of your compatriots at Coffee Stain Studios.

Has nobody posted the Google DARPA robot?  It's a little old (December) but no less terrifying:

Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

It's super great how the thumbs will still have a job as robot news anchors once humanity is removed from dominance like the debris in that video.

Has nobody posted the Google DARPA robot? 

Ability to open doors: check.

Ability to bust through walls: check.

Ability to manipulate hose attached to poison gas tank and slip it into hole: probably.

Also, Google building self-driving cars and also a robot that drives cars reminds me of last ep's discussion of a robot built to press a button.

It's interesting that they try to present breaching walls as the primary benefit of making a free walking robot who can use power tools.

I wonder what would be Jake's reaction be to pregnant Luigi. Don't search for "Pregnant Luigi" on Google.

I warned you.

I warned you.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

Not safe for human eyeballs:

post-33601-0-39343100-1398462000_thumb.png

Me, dibs, and Lu were browsing through some horrendous "Pregnant [insert video game character here]" fan art. It was the stuff of nightmares.

sonic_is_pregnant_by_shadow4everandever-

Internet.

Good ol' internet.

Just wanted to say one more thing about Hitman Go. It teaches you how to play in such a minimalist way. There isn't a single word outside of each level's three challenge requirements. Instead it just shows you the token or tile space and you figure out how to interact with it completely on your own. First in a simplified space that often forces you into one solution, but that's still better than "This is a guard, Agent 47. If he sees you he'll take you down." It's really refreshing. It also leads to some nice secrets to figure out, because some enemies have properties that others don't necessarily follow, but it's up to you to test to find them (and required for at least one of the challenges).