Sounds nicem, was it "salty licorice" or more like "sugary licorice" ?

Licorice is the best!

Ever tried like Vanilla Ice Cream with Licorice 'nibs' and chili? 

It's awesome.

It was salty. I've never had salty licorice before that, so it was a bit of a surprising experience. I didn't like it at first, but it quickly grew on me.

The best thing about drop is feeding it to foreigners who have no conception of salty candy, and watch their reaction. Drop has many forms though, from salty to sour to sweet.

Yep, that would have been me with the weird reaction to something being salty that I didn't expect. Although now I'm intrigued by the possibility of sour.

I try to avoid buying candy. My house is haunted, the candy disappear in an instant.

Never been able to get into gummies. They just don't do it for me.

Well unless Sour Patch Kids or Swedish Fish count. Those are probably more... gelatiny? I don't know candies, man. Get off my back. (Although I can only take a bit of those before I need to get out, unlike most candy I love.)

I think you're like me, wherein gummy stuff is eh unless its sour, in which case it's pretty damned cool. Sourpunch and etc. is pretty awesome. It's stuff that's usually coated in large sugar grains, which is somehow associated with sour gummy candy and I don't know why. Sour starbursts are the same, can't really stand Starbursts unless they're sour.

Not that I buy candy... almost ever. I love sugar but get my fix from mochas and cookies.

Is it true that most American candy tastes like garbage to the rest of the world?

I feel like people mostly feel that way about chocolate, but I can't imagine that commercial production sugary snacks are WORSE in the US. Sugar intake kings of the galaxy and all.

Is it true that most American candy tastes like garbage to the rest of the world?

I can't speak for all the candy, but my one weird trick experience in the US was a Hershey's milk chocolate bar, which had an aftertaste like puke.

It was salty. I've never had salty licorice before that, so it was a bit of a surprising experience. I didn't like it at first, but it quickly grew on me.

The salty licorice is the best. We have loads of really good licorice in sweden. :)

I can't speak for all the candy, but my one weird trick experience in the US was a Hershey's milk chocolate bar, which had an aftertaste like puke.

A lot of chocolate is genuinely different in the US than basically everywhere else. Hershey's uses a process to keep milk from going bad that produces butyric acid in the milk. Saves them money, but the acid remains in the chocolate. People in the US and Canada are used to it, but I can imagine it would be pretty gross if you're not. 

I may have just bought and consumed a bag of green tea kit-kat just now, so it only seemed right to stop into this thread. There's also a bag of Jelly Babies in my desk drawer at work for next week :)

The logical endpoint of this thread is a sweet exchange.

The logical endpoint of this thread is a sweet exchange.

So where do I sign up? Subbes, someone with better motivation for organizational skills than me, a volunteer, anyone?

I enjoy that this thread is right next to Idle Workouts.

jXX7G6c.jpg

It reminds me of a Curves I once knew that was located above a Cold Stone Creamery.

KIu8SeF.jpg

:tup:

I want to know which one went in first.  I'm really hoping that Coldstone only moved in once Curves was established. 

I don't know which one was first, but the Cold Stone is still there while the Curves has now become a yoga place.  Also not shown in the picture was a cupcake place to the right of the entrance to Curves.  That picture is a screencap of a Google Street View from 2008.  I also learned that you can go back in time with Google Street View.

In order to maintain my candyman cred, I'm preparing another candy package for the Thumbs.  I've got a box of Nerds Ropes for Jake and tegan suggested Licorice Babies for Nick.  I need something for Chris and Sean.  Any ideas?

In order to maintain my candyman cred, I'm preparing another candy package for the Thumbs. I've got a box of Nerds Ropes for Jake and tegan suggested Licorice Babies for Nick. I need something for Chris and Sean. Any ideas?

Goldfish

Do they make something like a candied pea?  Honey roasted peas?

It's not candy, but Chis will definitely enjoy a bag of wasabi peas.

What exactly is the Thumbs' deal with Nature Box?  Do they have a subscription?  Do they get complementary boxes because of how much they mention it on the cast?  I'm not making any kind of shady accusations here, but I would feel weird sending them things they already get from other sources.

What exactly is the Thumbs' deal with Nature Box?  Do they have a subscription?  Do they get complementary boxes because of how much they mention it on the cast?  I'm not making any kind of shady accusations here, but I would feel weird sending them things they already get from other sources.

...they're sponsors of the show. They get paid to talk about them, and apparently Nature Box sends the podcasts they sponsor a sampler so they have something to talk about.

I sure hope you didn't think they were mentioning Audible just because they really like Audible.

No I got that.  I just meant that sponsorships don't necessarily come with an unlimited supply of free goodies and I didn't know if they had independently subscribed or if Nature Box just like sending them extra stuff.  I don't want to double up on something they already get.

Jake told me to get Big Hunk for Sean.  I assume that's this

Big-Hunk-Wrapper-Small.jpg

and not...something else.

See there you go assuming. Get both, send one with the other, and that way you wont offend anyone!

I once did the mistake of thinking USA would only accept the finest of candies, and ordered a "best of" thing on Ebay, full of all sorts of foul-tasting artificially flavored bullshit. My impression is that the mainstream candy like Hershey's and Nestlé is just all around terrible. Of course. Nestlé isn't American, so now I expect most candy to be shit all over the world. I'm pretty sure you can get a lot of delicious candy from smaller manufacturers in the US, though, but they didn't sell boxes of that on Ebay.

Oh man, i found a tootsie roll in a shop here once, it was Disgusing. I nearly barfed and threw most of it away. I was so excited.

"Yeah, tootsie roll
Let me see that tootsie roll
Get up and roll just make that tootsie ooh"