Alright, so... CANDY! Who likes it, what kinds do you like? Chocolate, hard candy, soft candy, gummies, whatever sweet treat you eat, talk about it here!

The real reason I'm bringing this up is because I just got back from a candy store here in my city with some candies I'd never heard of before...

"Lucas Salsaghetti", a Mexican candy with ropes of watermelon flavored candy and a little packet of tamarind sauce. It was spicy and good.

"Klene Salmiak Riksen", a sort of black licorice coin thing that is Dutch, I believe. Quite good if you like black licorice.

All chocolate, all the time. I like any chocolate that I can eat very small amounts of easily. Lately I've just been buying milk-chocolate chips (the bags intended for making cookies) from the grocery store. One will last me months as I eat them with my coffees.

"Lucas Salsaghetti", a Mexican candy with ropes of watermelon flavored candy and a little packet of tamarind sauce. It was spicy and good.

YES!!! This is one of my favorites. I'm not a big fan of sweets but when it comes to Mexican candy I lose all control. The combination of sweet, salty, and spicy is just perfection on my tastebuds.

Other good Mexican candy: Pulparindo, those watermelon lollipops covered in chili powder, and anything else with the "Lucas" branding. Honestly, the plethora of good Mexican candy available to me almost makes living in this horrible state worth it.

I got some Starburst Jellybeans. I grab a couple million every time I go downstairs.

I already ate all the Robin's Eggs. ):

I like chocolate a lot, and licorice, and peanut brittle, and probably lots of other stuff too, but I never buy or eat any of it because I try to live a fairly ascetic life, and spending money on inessentials like candy feels way too decadent to me. If it were free I'd probably eat a chocolate bar every day, though.

That sounds amazing. Unfortunately we Canadians probably don't get that stuff. Whenever I'm in a candy store, I always trick myself into thinking I like candy more than I do and buy a bunch, then realize when I try to eat it that I prefer spicy to sweet and give up on the giant bag of candy. However, things like dark chocolate with peppers in it or black licorice I'm ALL OVER.

I'm not a chocolate person, but I once had actual Swiss chocolate while in Switzerland and that stuff was AMAZING.  Rum raisin I believe.

This thread is reminding me that it has been too long since I sent Jake some Nerds Ropes.

I got some discount candy today because it's the day after Easter, but not much good since I'm not a big chocolate person. I like sour gummies the best.

This thread is reminding me that it has been too long since I sent Jake some Nerds Ropes.

There's been a sale on Licorice Babies at the drugstore here forever and I keep thinking of picking up a bag and mailing it to Idle Thumbs c/o Nick Breckon.

...then realize when I try to eat it that I prefer spicy to sweet...

Spicy is most definitely superior to all other tastes. As an alternative to candy, I recommend Cholula with corn chips.

That sounds amazing. Unfortunately we Canadians probably don't get that stuff.

I, too, am Canadian, and was surprised to find it. (It's part of the reason I walked out of that store with nothing but things from other countries...) You'd probably have to go to a dedicated candy store, not just going to a convenience store or whatever, but there IS a chance of getting it in Canada!

...of course this partially depends on where you live, as well. Southern Ontario is probably the most likely area to have things like this.

Also, the "Salmiak Riksen"... not bad, but way saltier than I expected. I didn't know salty candies existed.

Never been able to get into gummies. They just don't do it for me.

Well unless Sour Patch Kids or Swedish Fish count. Those are probably more... gelatiny? I don't know candies, man. Get off my back. (Although I can only take a bit of those before I need to get out, unlike most candy I love.)

I, too, am Canadian, and was surprised to find it. (It's part of the reason I walked out of that store with nothing but things from other countries...) You'd probably have to go to a dedicated candy store, not just going to a convenience store or whatever, but there IS a chance of getting it in Canada!

...of course this partially depends on where you live, as well. Southern Ontario is probably the most likely area to have things like this.

Calgary, though we recently got a few decent candy stores. I may need to go on a bike excursion next weekend.

I'm a candy fiend, it is likely my biggest single weakness.  Reese's Peanut Butter Cups would be my de facto standard for a perfect candy.

When I went to a gluten free diet, one of the biggest bummers I discovered was that fucking Twizzlers have wheat/gluten in them.  Those were a movie watching necessity for me forever.  Twizzlers and a soda, best move combination. 

My favorites are Kit-Kats, Twix, and more recently, Snickers. Gotta have that crunch! Probably terrible for braces, however... Yay, toothpicks.

I love peanut butter but because I don't like chocolate, I prefer Reese's Pieces to Reese's Cups.  I also enjoy frozen Kit Kats.  One thing I like doing is buying a cheap bag after Halloween, throwing it in the freezer, then slowly eating it for a month.  My favorite candy bar would probably be the Whatchamacallit.

Haribo gummis are my jam. Best mainstream gummi in the gummi game.

Truest words. I am deeply influenced by nearly all gummi and sugary candy. Mike and Ike, sour patch things, spree (spree still exist I learned this about 2 months ago), Starburst.

i hosted a Super Bowl party this year, and decided I wanted to put out a bowl of candy along side the other snacky foods. I was going to buy two 16oz bags of Starburst for about $3.50 a pop, when I noticed the 40oz bag of Starburst was like $6.50. WHAT A DEAL. The party rolls around and I put out the Starburst in a bowl, and everybody loves Starburst of course they do so I'd say most people ate 3-5 pieces along with consuming other food. That left me with about two pounds of leftover Starburst, which took me weeks and weeks and weeks to plow through. it was delicious torture. I would have mailed it to people if they wanted some.

Kit Kats in the freezer are amazing.

"Klene Salmiak Riksen", a sort of black licorice coin thing that is Dutch, I believe. Quite good if you like black licorice.

Sounds nicem, was it "salty licorice" or more like "sugary licorice" ?

Licorice is the best!

Ever tried like Vanilla Ice Cream with Licorice 'nibs' and chili? 

It's awesome.

I occasionally like liquorice (or DROP, as it's really called in Dutch), but I have to admit 98% of all the candy I eat is chocolate or chocolate-based. I don't eat a lot of candy though, it's a rare thing. I'll just get some Twix bars or something, or a Milka bar.

The best thing about drop is feeding it to foreigners who have no conception of salty candy, and watch their reaction. Drop has many forms though, from salty to sour to sweet.

I jsut ordered some nerd ropes caus my friend is in the US at a conference. weeeeeee.

I sometimes get these on my way home from work. They are obscenely expensive, but still soo soo worth it. Amazing chocolate, crunchy nuts and a slightly salted caramel nugget in the middle. Nomnomnomnonomnomnomnomnom.

choc_3a.jpg

I am extremely fond of Minties, which are mints with the consistency of a particularly chewy caramel. Apparently unknown outside of Australia and New Zealand.

Once or twice a year I get a craving for jelly beans, eat enough to make myself sick, and then don't eat any other candy until the next round.

The two staple candies that are always on hand in my house are Horehound Lozenges, and Moser Roth Dark Chocolate (I like the 85% cocoa bars best, and my wife likes the 70%).

Andes Mints and Lemonheads are my two favorite candies but I don't buy these for myself because I consume them at an alarming rate, so these are usually reserved for when other people want to buy me candy-gifts.

Candy Reminiscences:

In my younger days I would always spring for Necco Wafers (so good, you'll say "Oh yeah Necco Wafers, why don't I have these more often? Oh well...") or Boyers Mallo Cups at the hardware store, and once a month I would go rollerskating and buy a Hershey's Cookies n' Mint Chocolate Bar but I could only get one of those after showing my mother that I was skating properly and pushing with both legs instead of just keeping once foot on the ground and limping along with single-legged propulsion, because she used snack money as an incentive to make me learn2skate.

Speaking of Cookies n' Mint Chocolate Bars, those I think are discontinued but the Cookies n' Cream bars are still around and those are alright I guess. Speaking of Cookies n' Cream bars, those have nothing on the also sadly discontinued Nestle ALPINE WHITE bar.

I am extremely fond of Minties, which are mints with the consistency of a particularly chewy caramel. Apparently unknown outside of Australia and New Zealand.

that sounds amazing