Erkki

Idle Workouts

Yeah, I dislike the machines (called Smith Machine by the way) because they really limit your range of motion. It's incredibly rigid and awkward. 

There's a huge difference between pushing through difficulty/tiredness and pushing through pain. If something hurts, I stop. If I'm tired, I try to do more until I can't. 

I've lost just over 10kg in 5 weeks, and my nipples are crazy sensitive to the cold now.

Jesus, that is a bit fast!

I've been swimming 3 days a week and pilates class 1 night a week since Janurary. This is the most exercise i have ever done regularly.

I'm having problems running for longer periods of time. It might be because of my posture or technique but I've only ever managed to do 1.5 miles per hour of rest/weight training, and my calves and joints feel a lot of pressure when I run. Anyone here experienced in endurance training or long distance running? I used to swim competitively, so I thought I'd at least have the cardiovascular ability to run for a while but I guess it's a totally different beast.

Used to happen to me a lot when i was jogging on hills, then my hip got chronically sore so i stopped. My physio told me not to even walk too much for a while.

I'm having problems running for longer periods of time. It might be because of my posture or technique but I've only ever managed to do 1.5 miles per hour of rest/weight training, and my calves and joints feel a lot of pressure when I run. Anyone here experienced in endurance training or long distance running? I used to swim competitively, so I thought I'd at least have the cardiovascular ability to run for a while but I guess it's a totally different beast.

You may actually want to try minimal shoe running -- it strengthens your feet and calves like nothing else in the universe. I've been distance running since I was 7, and used to be extremely injury prone. Like, I actually broke my tibia from overuse.

Since I trained myself to do barefoot running (and currently run 'barefoot' once a week or so), I've been doing better re: injuries. It helps with form, and it really helps strengthen everything up.

You need to start very slow though - there are some good tips here: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/5BarefootRunning&TrainingTips.html

I used a treadmill at first when I was learning how to run this way, and it takes time to build the appropriate strength.

I completely revamped my deadlift this week! My back wasn't neutral, and I was having trouble figuring out how to fix it. Looked at some tips, and I realized my approach to the bar was completely off, which threw everything else off as well. Crazy difference in the lift, now! I don't think it's fixed any issues in strength (I'm not going to up my deadlift suddenly, the lift still felt heavy), but I think I will much more effectively build strength/stability and definitely avoid lower back issues. I finally sprung for some lifting chalk and a lil' bag as a reward!

After 3 straight weigh-ins of slightly gaining weight but losing body fat %, I finally jumped forward and made gains. 4lbs down from last week. I know some of that is water weight, because my body fat % crept up very, very slightly, but I'm still happy to have made progress. I decided to add a cardio day in between my lift days. I hate, hate, hate running, treadmills, ellipticals, all of it. But I did the bike for ~15 and the rowing machine for ~10 plus a really good stretch and foam roll.

Danielle and Thumbs that are runners- how do you do it? Running exhausts me (duh), but mentally as well as physically. After 20 minutes of almost any cardio, I'm horribly bored. I don't find a "zone", and my mindset to running has always been "What's the goal of distance running? To finish and stop. I'm ahead of the game." I have never minded running in sports because the point isn't just to move forward. I can't get over that hump.

Danielle and Thumbs that are runners- how do you do it? Running exhausts me (duh), but mentally as well as physically. After 20 minutes of almost any cardio, I'm horribly bored. I don't find a "zone", and my mindset to running has always been "What's the goal of distance running? To finish and stop. I'm ahead of the game." I have never minded running in sports because the point isn't just to move forward. I can't get over that hump.

Running kind of sucks at first (even I hate most of my first miles, and I really love running), until you're warmed up and start to feel free. Distance running is not for everyone, but I do encourage people to give it a shot - past two miles - to see if they start enjoying it.

A few things that may help:

- Run outdoors if at all possible. Treadmills are the WORST. They are little boring machines of death that just count numbers at you and remind you of how much longer you have to go. They have their uses (I like them for sprinting, since the track near where I live is closed for repairs, and sprinting on the streets of SF is close to impossible), but they really, really suck most of the time.

Being outdoors - preferably if you have a park, lake, beach, safe city streets w. sidewalks, trails, etc. nearby - you can lose yourself in the scenery and let your mind wander. I do all of my best thinking while running :)

(it's winter in most of the country, and I sympathize. I'm one of those people who runs in blizzard conditions, if necessary, but even an indoor track is better than a treadmill) -- and if you must use a treadmill, definitely have music/podcasts/audiobooks/whatever to help. I prefer music. And on that note - I'd advise against music or other audio while running outside. It can be distracting in dangerous ways, and the sound/feeling of a real place (forest, beach, city streets, etc.) is often interesting enough, for me. This may be a slight tangent, but I actually get a lot out of really exploring a place while running, even if I've been there before. Something about a heightened heart rate and senses make running, say, a new way to the park more interesting/exciting.

- Vary your pace. This is an easy way to stave off boredom. Warm-up at a jog for ten minutes, then do alternating pick-ups (faster pace, whatever you're comfortable with) for 3 minutes, with 2 minutes of jogging after each. Time goes by much, much faster.

- Run with a buddy/partner who is around your level (or is willing to run at your level). Having a good conversation while running can help pass the time (and keep the pace comfortable), and doing it with someone else helps to keep you accountable. Just don't pick someone who goes waaaay faster than you, or it will make you miserable when you're starting out.

- Addendum to that last point - a casual running club can be the best thing in the world for the last point. Not a crazy track and field group, but a nice group, preferably w. people of all different levels. It helps to make running social and more pleasant. I love running with these folks -- http://www.sffr.org/, but there are clubs all over for different age groups, social groups, etc.

Hope this is helpful! I am always happy to give running advice :)

I went out today and ran for the first time in probably 5 years.

New shoes with proper support and dampening which feel really comfortable to run in, compared to how I used to just go running in whatever shoes I was using for gym class at the time.

Ended up covering about 5km in just under 30 minutes of running, jogging and some walking whenever my lack of endurance started making itself known.

Felt really good afterwards. More physically exhausted than I've been in a long time, sweating all over the place and slight cramps in my calves but I still felt really nice.

Let's see if I can make a habit out of this.

In relation to this: Does anyone have running music to recommend (I realize that this goes against the advice that Danielle posted just above, but I live in a small town where traffic is very light)?

My running playlist is a strange mix of things. Just a quick random sample: The Pixies, Passion Pit, James Brown, Wilco, Ted Leo, Chromeo, Run the Jewels, Janelle Monae, and Rilo Kiley. I think mostly beats per minute is more important than genre. I listen to a lot of mopey folk music when I'm not working out, but it would never work for running. The same goes for all of the punk music that was the soundtrack for my adolescence. Mid-tempo music regardless of genre works best. 

I also find that it helps to mix in a few songs that are more up tempo than the rest of your list, just as an emergency pick-me-up. If I'm nearing the end of a long run and need a boost of energy, I just skip to "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen, and suddenly I have no problem finishing the last mile. 

Hey guys, I tried following Danielle's suggestions (thanks so much!) and I definitely don't have any more running-induced joint pain when I increased my cadence a bit and leaned forward, trying to do midfoot running. Now I have mad shin splints! I might need to buy different shoes (I'm wearing these thick heeled basketball shoes) and take it a bit slower. But so far I find running a lot more enjoyable now that I'm either doing it at a track or outdoors, and frontfoot/midfoot running feels bouncier and more interesting second to second, rather than plodding along. It feels more tiring since I can't control my pace that well, but it doesn't feel like a drag anymore!

I ran my first ever, as far as I can remember, timed miles last week! Exciting! Somewhere between a 10-12 minute pace. That's really slow, but it also actually happened. I think one of the things that may help me to be interested in running is to actually be in good enough shape to run for more than 2 minutes at a time. I'm pretty excited for the 5K on Friday, and I am thinking I'll do another next week.

I've been going to the gym one (1) day a week for the past three weeks. The first week, I was fucking dead and couldn't go again. Last week work got in the way. This week... Well actually I have all the intent in the world to go a second time this week. In fact I should end up going three times if all goes well.

I'm in like a team class thing? Yo this shit is expensive though... I'm justifying the cost by not ordering delivery anymore? We'll see. Having someone yell at me is kind of what I need so.

I've been going to the gym one (1) day a week for the past three weeks. The first week, I was fucking dead and couldn't go again. Last week work got in the way. This week... Well actually I have all the intent in the world to go a second time this week. In fact I should end up going three times if all goes well.

I'm in like a team class thing? Yo this shit is expensive though... I'm justifying the cost by not ordering delivery anymore? We'll see. Having someone yell at me is kind of what I need so.

Twig if I can run an ENTIRE MILE you can get fit through yelling. You can do it. We can do it.

Aw man. Last week was my wife's spring break and I used her vacation as rationalization for not going to the gym. I quit drinking soda and I was doing really well for a while! Time to start going back!

Hmm, so I'm thinking of actually spending my fitness reimbursement at work on part of a rowing machine. Anyone have any recommendations or things to look for? As usual, I'm always tempted to just order off of Amazon and pray, but I have no idea what I even need.

I get rather irritated when I go to the gym and see people rowing like morons as there are
that people make that could be easily fixed with a small amount of guidance. Watch the videos I linked, they're pretty good. 

I would love to go up to each and every person (since I've only ever seen 2 people row correctly in my 3 years of attending gyms in Manchester) and tell them how to do it right - since the gym coaches and personal trainers clearly have no fucking clue and haven't been in a boat in their life. However, I'm sure I'd get told to fuck off if I did, so I don't. 

Onto your original question, depending on how much cash you have the Concept 2 ergos  are probably the best quality you can find, they're incredibly pricey but you'll never have a single problem with them. The cheaper you go, the more likely the machine will break or come into problems like belts/chains unlatching when you go hard or all out. I made the mistake of buying a cheap £100 ergo once, and it was a nightmare. I had to constantly reattach the chain and the metrics it put out where utterly useless for my aims.

Edit: I should also point out that the concept 2 machines have pretty good resale value too. I'd recommend buying one second hand, as you'll probably get the majority of your money back if you want to sell it.

Also: what the hell is a "fitness reimbursement" when it's at home? I want money to buy fitness equipment! Sounds amazing.

It's part of the company health initiative, they give you a little cash each year to spend on a gym membership or certain exercise equipment. I had a gym membership for a while, but didn't get out to play racquetball as much as I wanted so I eventually canceled. So now I'm looking for some other way to spend it. I've actually gone kayaking a few times, so I know I actually really like the workout I'd get from a rowing machine, but I could probably use some form tips so I'll check out those videos. I saw the Concept2 D on Amazon for $900, but I was hoping to get down closer to $500 without getting a complete piece of junk.

Edit: Any opinions on Life Span as a company, or this rower in particular? http://www.lifespanfitness.com/rw1000-indoor-rower

The only thing I see about it is that it only has 5 levels of resistance.

Help I went to the running store and the running lady helped me pick out running shoes and I bought the running shoes and I'm trying them out by running today.

What is happening to me.

e: I did the running, and I don't hate myself. So scared.

Slowly sliding toward dropping $900 on a rowing machine. I don't know what I'm thinking.

5Ks two weeks in a row! I suck at running!

WOO!

As I learnt when I was still capable of doing 5K, that's not actually sucking at running. You might be wheezing and exhausted but there are a lot of people who'll go, 'wow, and you made it? I couldn't do half that distance'.