Erkki

Idle Workouts

I bought a rowing machine last year. It's great, having my main mode of exercise next to my desk gives me no excuses to not work out daily.

What I'd like to do is use Google Cardboard or the Oculus Rift or something on a rowing machine and row through random virtual places, you could even just rip out environments from your favourite games. The only time I've heard of someone doing something like that is when someone rigged up an exercise bike and a rift so people could cycle through virtual worlds.

I've actually been thinking about doing something like that. I have an Oculus and I could probably do a decent rowing sim in UE4, but I have no idea how I would do the motion tracking. Maybe a Kinect?

Kinect seems like overkill for a simple measurement (though if it's what you have to hand…). Something like an arduino with an ultrasonic rangefinder would be cheaper but maybe a bit more technical. A limit switch on the machine would also work, but it'd give you lower resolution and have to be built robust.

Edit: Workouts! I'm generally being very lazy at the moment, as the cold really drives me indoors. I have no excuse, there's a large attic with several turbos and road bikes in it, but all I've managed to do in the past week is lift a few weights. Seeing you all post in this thread definitely helps with motivation though.

I've had to reduce my workouts due to plantar fasciitis (inflammation in the heel). I'm also now feeling some pain above the heel as well, maybe I have achilles tendinitis as well. The doctor told me the plantar fasciitis is chronic, but failed to provide any advice as to whether I should adjust my workout schedule. The first time he did an injection and I took some medicine and it helped a lot, the second time I went when it was returning, I thought I'd try other remedies, but I haven't really taken them up yet. It's getting worse, though, so I really should do something. But I also feel that my heels are getting more flexible in yoga, so could this inflammation be a normal part of that happening?

I think, if you have the 2nd rift with positional tracking, you could just track that. Grab the position you're in retracted, and the position when you're stretched out, then when you're in the first position, it'll be playing the first frame of a rowing animation, and the last frame when you're in the second position, after that it's just interpolation. Rotation would be still tied entirely to the rift, and you could have an IK based rig so the body will stretch, within limits and with a variable sensitivity, to the physical position of the head.

That's obviously the best solution, don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. I might actually try this when I have the time.

I've had to reduce my workouts due to plantar fasciitis (inflammation in the heel). I'm also now feeling some pain above the heel as well, maybe I have achilles tendinitis as well. The doctor told me the plantar fasciitis is chronic, but failed to provide any advice as to whether I should adjust my workout schedule. The first time he did an injection and I took some medicine and it helped a lot, the second time I went when it was returning, I thought I'd try other remedies, but I haven't really taken them up yet. It's getting worse, though, so I really should do something. But I also feel that my heels are getting more flexible in yoga, so could this inflammation be a normal part of that happening?

I have/had plantar fasciitis. Things that helped were - losing 20 pounds, stretching properly. I got a lacrosse ball that I used to roll on for my feet that was very useful.

I don't know if it helps with that issue or not, but I do love rolling out my feet with a lacrosse ball, feels so good. 

Thanks, I'll try that. The last time when the pain was subduing, I was also doing some stretching regularly (besides taking the meds.), except I didn't do the ball-under-feet thing. I should resume the regular stretching, maybe that will be enough to help. I also just read that yin yoga might be useful. I'll try going to yin yoga instead of the more dynamic one I currently do.

I hate rowing. I used to row for my school and getting on one of those machines brings back horrible memories of school and awful tests to see what "team" you made it into. 

Also everyone does it wrong, including all the instructors. 

I've been working out the last months. There were improvements already, like some 3cm muscle gain in the arm, and I had really tiny arms, so this made a nice difference.

I feel like getting bigger would be much better than I initially thought, but I just realized I'm really really bad at squatting. Like, I don't go down in a proper way, I can't even do it. A trainer at the gym teach me some exercises to improve this, like squatting with those "yoga" balls, without any weight, but I don't think I made much progress. She says that I have these issues probably because I spent my whole life just sitting and studying, and yep, pretty much just played video games all my life when I wasn't studying, so she's right.

So, does anyone if it is possible to achieve good results without squatting? Or other exercises to get better at squatting?

Just squat. It gets better, and while you don't need it, it's really the king of all leg exercises. 

Replacements (or what I put in on my leg day after squats) include lunges, leg press and box jumps. Leg press is a pretty good way to get better at squatting without actually squatting.

Squats are amazing. They are basically the king of exercise. There are definitely stretches you can do to help make squatting easier. For me, I had to widen my base to be able to get the proper depth and still keep my balance. I think the worst thing about actively trying to learn how to squat was the number of horrible exercise videos I had to sit through on youtube to find the ones that gave me usable information.

If you're already working with a trainer, ask to work on form. Form is way more important than weight. You're better off doing bodyweight squats at full depth than heavy half squats to compensate for stretching or worries about your form. Ask about stretches too, and if they can't help there is someone at the gym who can.

Squats are amazing. They are basically the king of exercise. There are definitely stretches you can do to help make squatting easier. For me, I had to widen my base to be able to get the proper depth and still keep my balance. I think the worst thing about actively trying to learn how to squat was the number of horrible exercise videos I had to sit through on youtube to find the ones that gave me usable information.

If you're already working with a trainer, ask to work on form. Form is way more important than weight. You're better off doing bodyweight squats at full depth than heavy half squats to compensate for stretching or worries about your form. Ask about stretches too, and if they can't help there is someone at the gym who can.

I never really feel comfortable doing squats without a spotter. Is that just paranoia, or a legitimate concern? I've been doing leg presses recently, but they're just not quite the same. I miss squatting, but I also know that none of my friends want to wake up early to go to the gym with me.

I did my first boxing workout today. I punched a heavy bag a bunch, and now my arms feel like they're going to fall off. After I finished the workout, I walked by a mirror and saw myself drenched in sweat, wearing hand wraps and my Campo Santo "Video Games" T-shirt. I looked ridiculous, but had a feeling that Junior Mints would be proud.

Most racks I use for squats have adjustable bars I can position in case I fail. Then I can just gracefully collapse in a heap and the bars will catch the weight (I've never had to actually do this though because I'm too big of a baby to really push myself to the limit).

I never really feel comfortable doing squats without a spotter. Is that just paranoia, or a legitimate concern? I've been doing leg presses recently, but they're just not quite the same. I miss squatting, but I also know that none of my friends want to wake up early to go to the gym with me.

I did my first boxing workout today. I punched a heavy bag a bunch, and now my arms feel like they're going to fall off. After I finished the workout, I walked by a mirror and saw myself drenched in sweat, wearing hand wraps and my Campo Santo "Video Games" T-shirt. I looked ridiculous, but had a feeling that Junior Mints would be proud.

What kind of squats are you doing? Like Video Games above me, all the power racks I've ever used for back/front squats have a safety bar. I've thankfully only needed to use it once, but you just kind of let the bar roll off and then you're freeeee. I'd love a spotter mostly because I think when I was up at my highest weight, my form was straight garbage and I would like to correct it. Because I've had a pretty big layoff, I have dropped 100lb off the squat just so I can get back into it. Once I hit a target weight I'm only going to start adding weight every other workout instead of every one like my plan recommends. I think that was pushing me to finish the sets by cheating form instead of failing properly and eventually deloading.

Also, please only take my advice as an interested amateur! I've tried my due diligence to make sure I'm properly informed, but I know for a fact Griddlelol has way more weight training experience than I do. All I can safely say is that squats are amazing for you, and if done properly they can both be done safely and as a solitary exercise.

If you put a vest over your sweaty T-Shirt, you could match Junior Mints!

You are all quite right about the value of squats, but for those who aren't terribly experienced or comfortable doing squats, I would urge a lot of caution.  Squatting with weight is one of the most technically challenging lifts to maintain good form on, and bad form (even if you are getting the weight up) can cause serious and permanent damage.  You're much better off to be conservative on weight, or even just not use weight and do more reps. 

Totally agreed. Copied for a new page:

Ha, I totally missed that, was just scanning the replies and didn't see enough emphasis on form. 

Ha, I totally missed that, was just scanning the replies and didn't see enough emphasis on form. 

No, you're completely right. I went back to reread myself because I thought I had mentioned it and I was all

"WOO SQUATS. DO EVERY SQUAT. THE BEST EXERCISE. Be careful with your form it's really important. Don't use too much weight."

Still fighting off the Christmas pounds, but I'm gettin' close.

Got to get some new cleat bolts for my cycling shoes--I lost one while riding out to Lockhart (about 60 miles into a 95-mile ride).

I'm one of those terrible people who sacrifices form for more reps. If I can do 10 reps with perfect form, I'd rather then bash out 2 more sloppy ones than stop before I'm ready. 

I don't bench press with a barbell, ever. I find it impossible to do right, and incredibly uncomfortable on my wrists, shoulders and back. On the otherhand, the dumbbell bench press is superior in every way. Not only can you get a better, more comfortable range of motion, but you don't need someone to spot you for heavy sets.

I think a spotter for squats is pointless. Just use metal. A spotter for heavy benches with a barbell is mandatory in my opinion, it just gives you the confidence to do that last rep. 

Was your friend taking steroids or something? That's when I've heard of tendon issues like that.

With those bench machines, because they are on rails there's a lot less balancing/control needed so I don't find feel like I get the same benefit as normal free lifts (bar or dumbbell). Better than nothing if you're at all unsure about the weight though and need a spot.