I like jazz. I was listening to Squarepusher's Z-machines last night, but it didn't hit for me.

That was somewhat disappointing.

Otherwise I have Grant Green's Idle Moments on constant rotation, assorted Stan Getz, and I love Miles Davis's bebop and Thelonious Monk.

This is maybe the dorkiest thing I've posted on these forums, but one of my favorite jazz bands is just this Swedish one that covers anime theme songs in a variety of jazz stylings. I have CDs of Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson, and all that, but I generally find it difficult to find a point of entry into the genre otherwise, and maybe I have no taste but most of Platina Jazz's covers are legitimately good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFlQIG0p_rs

This is maybe the dorkiest thing I've posted on these forums, but one of my favorite jazz bands is just this Swedish one that covers anime theme songs in a variety of jazz stylings. I have CDs of Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson, and all that, but I generally find it difficult to find a point of entry into the genre otherwise, and maybe I have no taste but most of Platina Jazz's covers are legitimately good:

Oh my god, these are all great!  I love the Sailor Moon one.

I love jazz! I admit that it's a failing of mine that I don't know much about modern jazz. Probably the only contemporary jazz musician I know anything about is Wynton Marsalis, and through that Ellis Marsalis.

Joe's Cool Blues was definitely influential to me when I was about 13 years old. Great album.

I am mostly into instrumental, and I guess the stuff I'm into I'd call "classic"? Diz and bird, Miles Davis, Dave Bruebeck, Coltrane.

I love jazz! I admit that it's a failing of mine that I don't know much about modern jazz. Probably the only contemporary jazz musician I know anything about is Wynton Marsalis, and through that Ellis Marsalis.

I also have this difficulty. When I browse contemporary jazz, I rarely find something that sounds distinct to me. I'd be very grateful if this thread made some suggestions of contemporary jazz that might give me that since of distinction. One example I can think of is Mulatu Astatke

Another example of something that caught my attention was the Matt Panayides track called "Freedom's Illusion".

I like jazz, but I mostly just listen to stuff at random. I will definitely check out the suggestions in this thread!

Some Finnish Jazz:

Does this count as Jazz?

Damn I love me some jazz. As anime was mentioned in this thread, everyone should give 'Kids Under the slope' a good watch coz it's amazing. It got me into jazz. Check the clip

Which naturally got me to love Art Blakey's Moanin':

My friend also loves this awesome Japanese band, 'Soil and Pimp Sessions'. They are bitchin':

finally, me and my friends have a spotify playlist that I'm going to add all these songs into. Check it and contribute if you want: Jazzy Beats

I've been listening to Jazz for most of my life (though that is not much to say, at 19 years old). Just can't actually enjoy any other genre. I have definitely moved from a bebop- hardbop obsession to a more wider/contemporary  scene. I'm currently listening to some Dave Holland, specially his more jazz-oriented work (not really that fond of his rock/acid new albums), definitely give him a try if you enjoy some superb bass grooves, with some of the best contemporary soloists.

Regarding contemporary drummers, stanton moore's work is fantastic. Just can't get enough of that new orleans vibe.
(audio quality is kinda bad, but my good aren't those guys fcking grooving).

Just as a way of closing this post - can't believe that you guys could be talking about jazz and anime in the same thread and haven't still mentioned The Seatbelts (shame on all of you).

BTW: Infinite hate and envy for the Op's chance of seeing master Mehldau live. It's hard to live in south america and love jazz I guess...

I don't know a great deal of jazz (perhaps this thread will help remedy that fact), but, as I posted in the music thread some time ago, I do think Jan Johansson was brilliant. He made a name for himself in Scandinavia with his jazz interpretations of traditional tunes, as in these first two videos:

Jazz på svenska ("Jazz in Swedish")

http://youtu.be/CdVUh7mQjWI

From Jazz på ryska ("Jazz in Russian")

That wasn't all he did, however, as evidenced by this live session featuring a variety of stuff (Västkustjazz means, unsurprisingly "west coast jazz"):

I saw Chris Corsano play at a house-show ten years ago. It drastically changed what I wanted to be able to do on drums.

I'm a big Mingus fan--Mingus Ah Um is one of my favorite albums.

I also love this track from Blues & Roots:

Like a few others here, I'm not super familiar with contemporary jazz.

I'm a big Mingus fan--Mingus Ah Um is one of my favorite albums.

I also love this track from Blues & Roots:

Like a few others here, I'm not super familiar with contemporary jazz.

Is in a current number two position in terms of my all time favorite jazz musician. He occasionally flip flops with Stanley Clarke, and those two are always at the top of my list. Speaking of Stanley Clarke and amazing drummers, I saw him at Yoshi's last year and Ronald Bruner Jr was insane. He's one of those drummers who has mad chops and I might write off as just being a super fast technical drummer, except he had such a tight groove and even in his crazy solos he never loses it. He played a solo when I saw him where he did everything hard with his feet and one hand and with the other hand just kept the pulse on the snare. I'll try and find a good video when I get home, most of the stuff on YouTube is him doing solos (as in not playing with a band) so they don't do him justice.

For contemporary stuff my I'm a huge fan of Snarky Puppy (video when I get home) and I'm super excited that they're going to be playing here in Los Gatos in August.

I have the great good fortune to live in the same town as Rein de Graaff. He's gotten most of the jazz greats to come play with his trio over the years, and I tried to catch as many as I could.

For contemporary stuff my I'm a huge fan of Snarky Puppy (video when I get home) and I'm super excited that they're going to be playing here in Los Gatos in August.

Whoops, I almost forgot about this.

Also re: Ronald Bruner Jr.