Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Don't worry, in a couple of months, they will deny that they ever made that post.

Ubisoft is Trump?

Kotaku published an interesting interview with Michel Ancel today:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/11/24/michel-ancel-on-beyond-good-evil-2-and-the-future-of-ubisoft

It would seem that the reason BG&E2 has been slow in coming is because he has a ridiculously large scope for the game. I was also curious about the fact that they wanted the for the original but never had time/resources, as one of the things I liked about Hillys was that it felt like a realistic, contained world without being too large.

Same here. I loathe Ubisoft's megalomaniac advertising nonsense, but I especially loathe when Ancel parrots it. I really don't want or need just another 150 hour open world Ubisoft Game. I want Beyond Good & Evil 2 instead, an actually true spiritual successor, one that is about a smaller, crowded place without the sandbox feel but with real iconic environments and characters. :|

I really hope the game doesn't end up being some sandbox game with a giant world size. I just don't feel like paying to play such games when I don't have time.

The first game was almost perfect even if the story ended a bit too quickly.

So, I know this has been in the E3 conversation, I thought I would return to this thread instead:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-22-beyond-good-and-evil-2-reveals-awe-inspiring-in-engine-demo

I don't even know what this game is anymore. Ancel keeps saying it is like the first game by saying things like 'In the first one you started with nothing, you do the same in this game'

In the first one I had a hovercraft and several adorable orphans

3 hours ago, Merus said:

In the first one I had a hovercraft and several adorable orphans

And a doggo.

Looks good but I'm still not excited that the cliffhanger of the first one won't be touched upon (most likely), and that the game might be some kind of MMO streaming with possibly microtransactions. But this video makes me feel better and I will be happy to be back in that world anyway, except this time with awesome graphics.

I guess now I'm just worried WiLD won't happen, haha. I played Far Cry Primal early this year and I am wanting more of that but more fantastical.

The thing about this (which I'm pretty excited about, I love ambition) is that I'm not sure why they couldn't just call it something else, haha. I mean I get sorta that they wanted it to take place in the same world. But it does seem a bit... silly. Given how completely wildly different it is.

1 hour ago, Twig said:

The thing about this (which I'm pretty excited about, I love ambition) is that I'm not sure why they couldn't just call it something else, haha. I mean I get sorta that they wanted it to take place in the same world. But it does seem a bit... silly. Given how completely wildly different it is.

I'd be okay with an Oddworld style approach to BG&E.  Different types of games set in the same world and keeping certain tone and thematic elements. 

Yeah I'm cool with that, too, I ain't gonna complain. But BG&E carries a huge burden as far as a certain crowd is concerned.

This could be a great game but I think aside from that ultimately nearly all fans wanted a Zelda-like sequel starring more adventures with Jade and Pey'j and explaining what the hell was going on with some of that plot, even besides the last tiny scene after the credits. Seems weird to not bother with that, especially since a decade or more ago it was said that Beyond Good and Evil was originally planned as a trilogy.

But hey, on the topic of Oddworld that was described in the original manual as a quintology series with side games (wherein apparently two of their games don't even count towards this). The strange thing is that new team continues to remake and port the old games even though with the New and Tasty they have shown they have the chops could totally make a new Oddworld game instead of remaking them all.

I guess Beyond Good and Evil may be in some kind of story limbo like that. Also Rayman Origins was actually supposed to be some kind of origin story for the series, no joke. Rayman games aren't big on story whatsoever but Rayman 2 had a lot going for it in that department and I kind of wish for another one similar to that. Origins has all this extra dialogue in the game files explaining the past that was ultimately just cut out. Legends and Adventures (as well as previous Rayman games) might as well just be in another dimension, as much as I love Legends. So I'm not even sure Ancel can be relied on to tell some coherent story in one universe as much as I want him to. He just hasn't led by example with his Rayman series.

I'm probably thinking way too hard about this.

I think the short answer is they just don't want to make a bog standard sequel. They're doing what they want to do.

well, they answered the primary question i had about a potential follow up to a delightful game about a plucky woman fighting for truth with a camera, and that question is "will there be sikk drifting?"

I am very surprised that BG&E2 currently looks more closely related to Star Citizen and No Man's Sky than to the original game. The engine looks extremely impressive, and I am open minded, but I hope there is a compelling reason that the game must be associated with this IP :).