Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Beyond Good and Evil 2

The PC version is a bad port, right? I want to play it again after all this talk, but I don't have the consoles to play it on anymore. D:

I don't remember there being anything wrong with the PC version.

Okay then. I've heard bad things but never actually played it. Suppose I'll give it a shot soon.

The PC version was definitely a bad port when I tried it, ran like a mess even on what was a very powerful machine at the time. It's possible that it was improved with later patches, but I'd imagine that the HD console re-release would be a better experience.

I'd like the game to try to engage with its title a little bit, that'd be nice.

Is Nietzsche's work in the public domain now? Could anyone just make a game with 'Beyond Good & Evil' in its title?

Okay then. I've heard bad things but never actually played it. Suppose I'll give it a shot soon.

If you have a 360 or PS3, they released an 'HD' version, which was the one I ended up playing.

hmm.. Like I said, I didn't have any problems with it when I played long time ago. Could be because of a patch or because my laptop was a few years younger than the game itself. Anyway, I'd be quite surprised if one ran into those kind of performance issues on a new-ish PC.

There was a leaked box art circulating the internet a while back. Apparently the sequel is titled Beyond Good & Evil 2: Human, All-Too-Human with a box quote by some Persian prophet. It was gross.

If you have a 360 or PS3, they released an 'HD' version, which was the one I ended up playing.

I don't have the consoles to play it on.

I didn't have any noticable issues when I played it on PC last year, but I wouldn't have necessarily noticed smaller things since I hadn't played it before.

I played it on the original Xbox, then PC, then the 360 HD version.  I don't remember having any problems with the PC version versus the other two. 

I need to play this game again. I remember loving it. The world, the characters, the fauna, the music, the text input system.

I remember the PC version running fine, though I had a weird rig with a notoriously unstable GPU. It had problems with loads of games, yet somehow ran BG&E and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without many hiccups.

They said they wanted to make the entire planet explorable all at once, and that you could then go into a spaceship and just fly to one of the moons and it would work. There was also that freerunning concept video. Whatever it is, it sounds ambitious as all get out. If it ever gets out, that is.

I would love a game that combined Jade's photojournalism with an X-COM style world map and transport. Leads could go to anything from sudden events to long term situations waiting to be documented.

As a random aside, a lot of people have been doing the whole photojournalism thing with GTAV: Online, seeing as you get an in-game camera plus the ability to take selfies. It's led to some wonderful things like the fan-made Weazel Action News documenting the crazy shit others are doing in multiplayer as if it were real news, GTAV Photographer, and GTAV War Correspondent. :tup:

More games need cameras.

Someone told me that the PC/Steam version had received an HD update too. Is that definitely inaccurate?

Well, yes... but that video doesn't have a connection to The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. :P

In which Jade discoverers she has a twin sister, only to find out that she's eviiiiil.

Eh... that's not that much worse than the twist at the end of the original game.

I think there is actually something to the title Beyond Good and Evil, but it's not a morality system or anything. The thing that was never explained is why

the Domz know Jade by some ancient name and whether or not she is possessed (or is part of) some kind of related entity. I think you can mostly understand what the Domz are saying if you have subtitles on or otherwise it sounds like gibberish. The major pointer to this is that near the end of the game, Jade suddenly has healing powers and a dead Pey'J is brought back to life by her holding his hand. The little cliffhanger animation at the end has Pey'j grasping the hand she held with some kind of Domz infection coming through. It sure would be nice to have another game just to address the story, since I have wanted to know forever now.

Now watch Ubisoft turn this into a designed-by-committee borefest like Assassin's Creed. Kidding j/k .... or am I? (j/k):

They can add in Natalie Portman like they did to  PoP 2008.

That video is extremely old and I doubt it points to anything going on with the game at the moment. If I remember correctly, Murdoc here said that was a target render video by a separate production company (?) that didn't necessarily reflect what the final game would be like. I don't think anyone should be under the idea that this game is going to mirror Assassin's Creed, especially after the success of the recent Rayman games.

I would recommend Beyond Good and Evil HD, except Ubisoft made the credits almost three times as long and then made the animated scroll at the end so sluggish to fit with the new time frame. God damn you Ubisoft and your fucking half hour million person credits. (This is a joke, but seriously, it is a major test of patience to see the cliffhanger ending now.)

For some reason I actually have an excellent working knowledge of BG&E's plot, and I have no idea how I know any of this.

The IRIS Network basically stole the DomZ's lifeforce, their Shauni, and they hid it in Jade, the daughter of two important IRIS members. Jade has several odd abilities that surface at unusual times - for instance, when she gets in combat, she starts hearing DomZ chants. This is also why the first name she picked when asked to come up with a pseudonym was Shauni. The IRIS Network inadvertently tipped off the DomZ when they started releasing reports with a Shauni byline.

THAT TEARS IT!!!

I'm buying it on Steam and playing it immediately after I finish the game I'm playing now.

The IRIS Network basically stole the DomZ's lifeforce, their Shauni, and they hid it in Jade, the daughter of two important IRIS members. Jade has several odd abilities that surface at unusual times - for instance, when she gets in combat, she starts hearing DomZ chants. This is also why the first name she picked when asked to come up with a pseudonym was Shauni. The IRIS Network inadvertently tipped off the DomZ when they started releasing reports with a Shauni byline.

Where did you read all of that? Surely none of that was presented in game?

Where did you read all of that? Surely none of that was presented in game?

I recall a lot of that, myself. Whether the game presented it to me in some fashion (subtle or otherwise) or I just read a similarly-presented internet comment, I have no idea. Or it's possible I'm just using Merus' post as some sort of bizarre filler for the holes in my memory and don't realize it.

Ruddy human brain.

Beyond Good & Evil was the game that made me realize the potential games have for storytelling. The specific moment:

When I was heading back to the lighthouse and found out it had been hit by a Domz attack, I started booking it there as fast as I could, running upstairs in a panic. The profound thing was realizing that I, as the player, was running upstairs because I was so invested in finding out what happened to the kids. I wasn't just watching a character do it, I was actively participating emotionally.

I think the acting and the writing (not the plot, the moment-to-moment dialogue) don't hold up very well honestly, but the world and the music and a lot of the mechanics absolutely do. And it was way ahead of its time for sure. I absolutely can't wait for the sequel, it's my most anticipated game I think ever.

Okay guys I bought BG&E on Steam, I downloaded it, I installed it, and I vomited out my eyeballs at how completely broken it was. So here's some things I did to fix it!

1) I tried JoyToKey and xpadder and gave up at both of them when I found Pinnacle. http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/beyond-good-and-evil It works well! I didn't like the supplied profiles, so I made my own. It works well! It is shareware though. 20 day trial. Ten bucks. Shrug.

2) There was some gross disgusting grossness with widescreen going on, and so I found this widescreen patch that instantly worked for me. http://steamcommunity.com/app/15130/discussions/0/864960354268889227/ No more stretching!!!

3) The HUD and some other elements of the game were flickering like mad all up on my face and so I found this little guide to fixing various issues, including said flickering, desyncing cutscene audio, and better AA (though this last bit is pretty standard fare for a hardcore PC gamer). http://www.cnet.com.au/making-old-games-work-on-new-pcs-beyond-good-and-evil-339338428.htm No issues here, either!

Should you want to play the PC version, be warned it's gross. But it's mostly fixable. I still can't alt-tab, because when I come back the screen is black. Also once in the middle of all this I lost my HUD, but it seems to be back now. I haven't played past the ten minute mark, or hell, the five minute mark in the game because I kept restarting to fix things. Now I don't feel like playing. But I can when I'm ready!

(Most people probably will not need this because they have consoles or whatever, but if you do, it's here.)