Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Beyond Good and Evil 2

I swear that Ancel and Ubisoft are the biggest trolls in gaming, just casually mentioning BG&E every once in awhile to remind us they haven't completely forgotten it exists. 

This is the new Half-Life 3 thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone here in saying BG&E is one of my favourite games. The world's so vivid and vibrant, I think because the game exposes its ecosystem for players to appreciate, and it does some clever things with its storytelling. I enjoyed the idea of a stealth Zelda. Also PROPAGANDA.

This is the new Half-Life 3 thread.

Nooooooooo!

I won't even begin gushing about how much I love BG&E, I'd just embarrass myself.  I'm not one to replay many story based games, but I've been through it at least 3 times.  And games with cameras as a mechanic?  Yes please, more of that.   A strong female lead who rescues not one, but 2 men?  And never needs rescued herself?  With no forced love interest?  Air Hockey!  Rastafarian Rhinos!  Propaganda (wait, you already said that one)!  Okay, I just need to stop before I keep going. 

At this point I just kind of wish they had never even released that ridiculously beautiful teaser a few years ago. 

ok i'm with you on most of that stuff (I did love the game), but man that air hockey just gets unreasonably hard for my poor skillz.

Damn, you beat me to it!

I'm pretty sure the game was confirmed as Ancel's next project for sure after Rayman Origins and it was originally announced he was not involved in Rayman Legends. It seems somehow he ended up getting involved in Legends though and even appeared at that little employee strike that they had about the delay forced by the fat cats.

You know what I adore about this game? It does that thing I want so many other games to do: it blends different styles of gameplay to cohesively serve different aspects of the game's world and story, as well as its themes, while also making all those different mechanics deep enough and interesting enough so that it doesn't feel out of place or wrong. It cleverly blends third person platforming, stealth, driving, exploration, puzzle solving, and character interaction in order to give a complete sense of agency and involvement in the narrative.

A good recent game to compare it to would be Batman: Arkham Asylum (as the Thumbs did in an old episode, forgot which one), or, to a greater extent, Arkham City. Every mechanic there is utilized to create a certain kind of mood or situation that is subservient to the story while also not being out place and having the player have complete agency in an otherwise intensely linear experience. And BG&E does it so well it's mind boggling.

The only problem I have with it is just the limitation of camera movement when in stealth sequences. For some reason, Ubisoft thought it was a good idea to just let you move the camera vertically on a straight Y axis during stealth sequences instead of just letting you have full control over the camera. But whatever! Amazing game, I really hope that painting Ancel showed is a hint that the sequel nears!

So I remember reading what this game was about.

They said they wanted to make the entire planet explorable all at once, and that you could then go into a spaceship and just fly to one of the moons and it would work. There was also that freerunning concept video. Whatever it is, it sounds ambitious as all get out. If it ever gets out, that is.

I played BG&E years ago and remember a very 'complete', unified experience. As Cineaste said, none of the mechanics felt tacked on. I remember thinking it was the game Star Fox Adventures wishes it was.

If/When this is released, I'd wager it won't have a 2 in the title. I'd guess BG&E: Reckoning. Or Resurrection. Insurrection. Bigerrection. Origins. Far Beyond Good & Evil. Well-Past Good & Evil. Approaching Grey Area.

It's a shame they started with "Beyond Good and Evil". If they had just called it "Good and Evil", then "Beyond Good and Evil" would have been a fantastic sequel title.

Now watch Ubisoft turn this into a designed-by-committee borefest like Assassin's Creed. Kidding j/k .... or am I? (j/k):

Is it me, or does that just look like Assassin's creed with Jade? I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that it's probably a test video to see how well the climbing system works in an early version of the assassin's creed engine, and they just used Jade's model because it was at hand. I would not like BG&E2 to be an AC rip :(

Is it me, or does that just look like Assassin's creed with Jade? I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that it's probably a test video to see how well the climbing system works in an early version of the assassin's creed engine, and they just used Jade's model because it was at hand. I would not like BG&E2 to be an AC rip :(

I'm pretty sure that was a mostly scripted vertical slice type thing. It doesn't really bear much resemblance to any Assassin's Creed I've ever seen, aside from the 'you can climb' thing. Perhaps the reason for the delay is that they realised the direction it was going in wasn't right, or maybe they were way too ambitious because there's no way that footage looked manageable for a last-gen console. Of course BG&E2 is likely to feature at least one explorable town/city, just like the original did — it was just much more limited in scope due to the game's age.

Also, quality comment on that Joystiq article:

I will have to see her butt and hear if her voice is annoying like most women before I can get truly excited for this. Last thing I need to play is another video game with a female protagonist, complaining about all the men in here life telling me I need to get a job. Enough with the agendas IMO

Between Good & Evil

In which Jade discoverers she has a twin sister, only to find out that she's eviiiiil.

I'd like the game to try to engage with its title a little bit, that'd be nice.

I enjoy the Assassin's Creed games - I'm playing AC4 right now and having fun collecting all sorts of random crap - but I don't really look to BG&E for being chased through streets by guards. I value the idea of the towns being peaceful, full of colour and life, and the risky parts are segregated away in their own areas. I like the transgression of going into enemy territory, and generally in AC games enemy territory is an arbitrary line that you've already prepared to cross.

While it does look kinda Assasin's Creed-ish, it really does seem like the logical evolution of the world and certain portions of the gameplay of BGE. Having not played the original until last year, I wasn't as keen on it as some others here, but I'm interested in where they're going with it.

Honestly, the combat mechanics range from simple/boring to amusing (the combos with partners), but Cine nailed why I loved it with his early post.  The variety of mechanics overall and the unity of the world/characters/themes/mechanics just make it one of the best overall games ever made. 

The PC version is a bad port, right? I want to play it again after all this talk, but I don't have the consoles to play it on anymore. D:

That is actually a full on concept video just for BG&E 2, made before the first AC game. This lead to the creation of AC actually, or at least, the inception of AC's movement system.