Chris

Idle Thumbs 152: Piercing the Fourth Dimension

I went through the trouble of recovering my password to say you're a real jerk and I hope your voice and negativity is disregarded by everyone who isn't a big old jerk like you.

:tup: :tup:

your voice and negativity is disregarded by everyone

:tup: :tup:

The fact that you are still talking about it means that has not occurred. Video games.

Doge 2048 mentioned on two episodes in a row, eh? I can get down with this.

Also, yay Danielle!

Double whammy for you: "Shit just got real." Bad referential humor + dead to language. I move to strike it from the lexicon. All in favor?

Damn son! Shit just got real!  :hat1:

It wasn't covered on the cast, but apparently valve added the q&a from the Free to Play premiere to the movie on steam. DOTA is still kind impenetrable to me. Maybe I should ask in the potato day forum, but has anyone seen it played with a steam controller? I'm assuming they'd support it.

problematic

I hit the stop button about 3 microseconds after that. If I wanted outraged feminists and a women's studies 101 lecture I'd just read kotaku or polygon, Idle Thumbs doesn't need to expand to that market.

About 3 microseconds is the time it takes light to travel one kilometer in a vacuum.

I hit the stop button about 3 microseconds after that. If I wanted outraged feminists and a women's studies 101 lecture I'd just read kotaku or polygon,

Good.

*opens door*

There's the door! Cya!

Here is my favourite Indie puzzle platformer:

It's a free indie game for the PS1 that came with the official magazine disc in the late nineties.

Not only is it an indie puzzle platformer on a console before Braid, but it's also one featuring time travel!

Edit: What's with all the rude people in this thread? So even in a forum with the reputation of Idle Thumbs I guess there's always a place for the angry young man.

Edited by fabjan

That loading/pause screen is incredible - it's clearly a point where someone thought "this system's so powerful! LOOK AT HOW MUCH SHIT we can put on the screen at once!"

This is seriously ahead of it's time though. I remember playing a flash game with this mechanic what must be years after this was made, and thinking it was really innovative.

I don't really remember the PS1 for platformers though, it was more about early 3D games.

About 3 microseconds is the time it takes light to travel one kilometer in a vacuum.

This is an interesting fact!

For people who are into local politics, Parks & Recreation is a really good show. The first season kind of sucks, but after that it's great. Amy Poehler is a colossus of comedy.

At what point was Idle Thumbs ever not willing to discuss social issues in games? If you're getting upset about the inclusion of that discussion in this podcast, you were prooooobably never a part of this community in the first place, and you will not be missed when you storm out in a huff.

As a member of this pro-social justice community I also welcome it's expansion, luckily for the others the internet offers plenty of places to not have to hear from or about women. 

I'm also enjoying the South Park game despite not really liking the show, and have had a few good juvenile laughs. I think Parker and Stone started off as a critical satire, but a few years ago made that weird left turn so hard that they wound up being libertarians. It's probably the end result of an "everything is equally bad" approach.

Hey so Alan Simpson, according to Wikipedia (according to a Court)

In Simpson’s words to this Court, “I was a monster.”

One day in Cody, Wyoming, when Simpson was in high school, he and some friends “went out to do damage.” They went to an abandoned war relocation structure and decided to “torch” it. They committed arson on federal property, a crime now punishable by up to twenty years in prison if no one is hurt, and punishable by up to life in prison if the arson causes a person’s death. Luckily for Simpson, no one was injured in the blaze.

Simpson not only played with fire, but also with guns. He played a game with his friends in which they shot at rocks close to one another, at times using bullets they stole from the local hardware store. The goal of the game was to come as close as possible to striking someone without actually doing so. Again, Simpson was lucky: no one was killed or seriously injured.

Simpson and his friends went shooting throughout their community. They fired their rifles at mailboxes, blowing holes in several and killing a cow. They fired their weapons at a road grader. “We just raised hell,” Simpson says. Federal authorities charged Simpson with destroying government property and Simpson pleaded guilty. He received two years of probation and was required to make restitution from his own funds – funds that he was supposed to obtain by holding down a job.

... As he [simpson] has described it, “The older you get, the more you realize . . . your own attitude is stupefying, and arrogant, and cocky, and a miserable way to live.”

I wonder what would happen if someone told Danielle she had to go an entire podcast without bringing up any identity politics or social justice warrior garbage

Political and social outrage is fine, I can ignore that. What is problematic is "I can't enjoy this media because I'm afraid of how others interpret it", especially being a journalist in the field I would think one would have to look past her own beliefs and try to take in the content as objectively as possible. This is also what is killing comedy in all forms of media.

Just started the surprisingly longcast (nice way to start a Thursday) and am excited to have another Danielle episode.  She was great last time and I expect more of the same in 152.

Political and social outrage is fine, I can ignore that. 

Maybe you should, y'know...not ignore that. Maybe people with different perspectives than you have things to say that you should listen to.

I hit the stop button about 3 microseconds after that. If I wanted outraged feminists and a women's studies 101 lecture I'd just read kotaku or polygon, Idle Thumbs doesn't need to expand to that market.

Too bad for you, then?

Political and social outrage is fine, I can ignore that. What is problematic is "I can't enjoy this media because I'm afraid of how others interpret it", especially being a journalist in the field I would think one would have to look past her own beliefs and try to take in the content as objectively as possible. This is also what is killing comedy in all forms of media.

So, you're happy to ignore social issues and think journalists should be robots? Reviewers don't review objectively, that's the whole point of reviewing media. How do you review a game, film, or TV show objectively?

So, you're happy to ignore social issues and think journalists should be robots? Reviewers don't review objectively, that's the whole point of reviewing media. How do you review a game, film, or TV show objectively?

Journalists shouldn't be robots and I agree you can't review objectively. But not giving a piece of content a chance because you're afraid how its affecting others makes no sense to me.

TychoCelchuuu's spidey sense is tingling.

No mention about how Danielle brings both love for Pikmin 2 and weird-ass indie games to the table? No? (Also she sounds different to the other hosts which is useful to me because sometimes I get Jake and Sean mixed up.)

But no, Idle Thumbs has never much cared about the acceptable range of opinions for video game people to have. And social issues that games fuck up is very much in Idle Thumbs' wheelhouse:

• bullshit in games is a frequent topic;
  • the hosts were key staff members on Gone Home and The Walking Dead;
  • here's a clip from Idle Thumbs 3 mocking how games show women that are evil by putting eyeliner on them;
  • it's fucking creepy that a discussion about whether Danielle is allowed to be a cast member is even happening;
  • things in list format are more likely to be read;

This is also what is killing comedy in all forms of media.

Come the fuck on. No real comedian feels this sorta horseshit persecution and perpetrating it is ridiculous.

Danielle is great! I hope she plays the South Park game and comes back to talk about her reaction.

I'd also like to say Danielle is great and I hope she comes back soon. It sucks that there's some negativity in this thread but at least it rarely ever happens here.

I was also expecting Remo to be more of an expert on escape goats since he did write this