Hello friends. I noted an absence of Olympics-related posted when they rolled around, and the NCAA tournament barely lasted a page even though it's possibly the second biggest American viewer sporting event of the year. Due to the diversity of the group and possible general non-sportsiness it may be futile to create a thread devoted to a single sports topic.

But I like sports. All of them (except for that one). Here is a thread to talk about sports as a whole. If you like sports, like talking about sports, or just like talking, do those things here re: sports. Today is opening day for Major League Baseball. It's a pretty amazing day. Everyone still has hope, you can watch baseball for about 47 hours in a 24 hour period, and it's the unofficial true beginning of spring. At the same time, there are other Sports Things happening all around the world.

Talk about them here!

I know I should be excited about the Royals since they managed to have a winning season last year, but my apathy for them is at an all time high.  I haven't been to a game since early in the 2012 season, the longest stretch I've gone without attending a live baseball game in probably 15 years.  Aaaaand, they started the season 0-1.  Go Royals.

I know I should be excited about the Royals since they managed to have a winning season last year, but my apathy for them is at an all time high.  I haven't been to a game since early in the 2012 season, the longest stretch I've gone without attending a live baseball game in probably 15 years.  Aaaaand, they started the season 0-1.  Go Royals.

Opening day excitement, catch it!

Hosmer and Moose might eventually be good. Alex Gordon is very good. There are things to enjoy watching for in Royals baseball.

I live about 15 minutes away from their High A ball affiliate, so a few times a year I get to see some Baby Royals and then talk about them when they hit the bigs 2-3 years later.

Some of these aren't terrible packages (except you are paying to propose at a baseball game, the terrible part). $100-200 for a MESSAGE on the jumbotron?

Why even consider that.

Sports! I've created an NCAA march madness bracket group on ESPN. Consider joining us!
You'll get up to 3 bracket entries so you can do your real bracket, your no upset bracket and your wacky upset bracket!
I know the 16th seeds are getting settled, so you may want to wait a day or so to put in your picks, but don't wait too long!

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/group?invitesource=email&groupID=1245516&inviteuser=ezJGNzI0NzBGLTQwRTgtNDJFMS1CMjQ3LTBGNDBFOEIyRTE1OH0=&ex_cid=invite-email-tcmen&groupp=c2l4ZXJzd2F0Y2g

Group: Idle Thumbs Readers
Password: sixerswatch

You can keep that dream alive. Make 11 copies of himself and he can coach his all-Cal basketball team.

First team All-Cal

I'll enter three brackets because I probably have too much free time at work (also because it's fun!)

So are none of you nerds excited about Leicester and the greatest pizza-fuelled underdog triumph of all time?

Dilly-ding, dilly-dong!

This was totally amazing, the best thing I can think of that has ever happened in football. The fact there is a Forest fan in my office only makes it better.

If you're a fan of soccer, this summer is pretty great. Copa America kicks off on Friday and the Euros start a week after that. Meanwhile, the MLS team in my town continues to play and is starting to not look terrible. Is anyone else dealing with a growing soccer/football/whatever else you prefer to call it obsession?

I've been a pretty big soccer fan for a while, though I'm not as into it as I used to be. When I was in high school and playing on a team + my high school team I was crazy into it and would actually record and watch every single premier league game (10 a week). These days I'm a lot more casual about it and mostly just watch big games and international competitions. I do have season tickets for the San Jose Earthquakes, they started the season alright, but have kind of become just mediocre at this point.

I've been a pretty big soccer fan for a while, though I'm not as into it as I used to be. When I was in high school and playing on a team + my high school team I was crazy into it and would actually record and watch every single premier league game (10 a week). These days I'm a lot more casual about it and mostly just watch big games and international competitions. I do have season tickets for the San Jose Earthquakes, they started the season alright, but have kind of become just mediocre at this point.

I'd take the Quakes's mediocrity while still making the playoffs as opposed to the Columbus Crew's occasional flashes of decent play mixed in with a whole bunch of disappointment. 

I was riding on the Soccer high for a couple of years, but games around here seemed to start getting that hooligan feeling, and therefore they started metal-detecting and wanding people at the door, and I just don't want to deal with either of those things.

I wish I liked football (or "soccer"). It's one of the few things I find boring but have tried really, genuinely hard to get in to. It's just so ubiquitous in Europe that not liking it makes me the odd one out.

It's a shame people don't prefer the superior sport of rugby. Maybe then I'd have more to talk about with strangers in pubs.

So are none of you nerds excited about Leicester and the greatest pizza-fuelled underdog triumph of all time?

Dilly-ding, dilly-dong!

Premier League has been boredom for years (not just because my favourite team Fulham dropped to the 1st division), but Leicester really did an awesome miracle even though their owner is also a millionaire/billionaire.

It's really exciting that Euro 2016 final tournament is starting in less than a week. Germany will go far again for sure, but I hope Iceland will surprise all just like they did in the qualifiers. I also wish good luck to Zlatan in his final football tournament.

I've been trying to watch the currently ongoing NHL playoffs as much as possible, but this Stanley Cup finals series is killing me, every game starts at 3AM Finnish time. Oh well, at least if I go sleep normally and then when I wake up at 5AM I can still see the last period and possible overtime live. For example right now Joonas Donskoi got the first win for San Jose Sharks on overtime!

What an amazing series so far, especially now that the Sharks got their first win ever in the SC finals.

Also, have to mention that my own football team, that I own with my brother, has risen in the past four years from Finnish 6th division to the 3rd division which is the final regional division in our country. So cool to be playing against 100 year old giants like couple of local clubs. :) My own career ended to last season because I broke my other knee now as well so playing time is over. :(

Is this also the thread for the Olympics? I'm super excited for the Olympics this year. 

I am too. I actually have cable now (or a streaming cable equivalent) so I'll be able to watch all the weirder sports. I don't necessarily want to watch people run track and field events, but I'm all in on competitive trampoline.