Sign in to follow this  
Chris

GDC '14: With Tom Francis

Its interesting how prevalent the "lost pod" seems to be.  I know its happened to Giant Bomb, Marc Maron, and countless others.  I'll chalk it up to the complexity of the process but its always a bummer and even more so if it means the cast won't be the same for new 150.  Ah well, hopefully 150 Part 2 is as great as Part 1.

Note that pkirkner is not an agent of the Google Singularity Cabal.  There is no Cabal.

Certainly not. Have you heard this recent pop hit?

Can some of the blame be put onto the new casual recording style?  Those couches might be in cahoots.

Also, the snippet of #Missing150 had a real neat melodic sound to it, chop up some samples and get your Aphex Twin on, Chris.

I disbelieve the tale of corruption, this has got to be an ARG of some sort. I should probably mention that I don't have any experience with ARGs and hope that posting about them, if this in fact is one, isn't a breach of some unspoken etiqutte. If so, I'm sorry and feel free to delete this post.

That said, when I listen to the "corrupted" sample, I can almost, but not quite, make something out that sounds like a hint: "[...] nails it [...] really love this shit. Find out more at [...] idlethumbs.net [...] of Idle Thumbs preference [...] zip [?]"

Is anybody else hearing this or is it just imagination and wishful thinking on my part? Unfortunately, I don't have any skills in audio editing, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Is anybody else hearing this or is it just imagination and wishful thinking on my part? Unfortunately, I don't have any skills in audio editing, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Well I went as far as to run the corrupted sample through a spectrogram to look for hidden pictures, but given the talk in 151 I'm losing hope in the ARG theory.

More tinfoil: I think this is the first time they've skipped an episode number after losing one. (not counting podblasts, which I know have never been numbered)

But yeah, reading too far into this is starting to make me feel bad. The only reasons I can think of for holding it back are super improbable, and on this cast and the next they sound so bummed about it. Stuff breaks and it sucks.

Excellent podblast. I love the extended discussion of what makes Brendon Chung's games so tremendous. I'm really looking forward to Quadrilateral Cowboy. And Droqen's game sounds fucking amazing.

I had a similar thought while refreshing the site waiting for 150. Maybe some Frog Fractions 2 release model?

There is sadly no spectacular secret message in the audio's spectogram, at least.. :sad:

ltYiLo8.png

Agh, my brain is trying to remember something from my last job. I think I remember interference like that from some brushless motors that were running near our mics....I remember the lopsided spectrums for sure.

The strange thing is that our mic tests which we recorded minutes before sounded great when played back, but the next day were also corrupted. So I think something happened in the brain of our audio editing software when we were away with all the files open, which caused them to shit themselves when we (surely) compulsively saved the file before closing at some point or something. It is a, so far, untraceable freak accident. The worst.

My heart goes out to you guys.  Just listened to the GDC episode today.  It really is the worst.  You could have spent that time playing DOTA instead!