Sign in to follow this  
Wormsie

Can you work without music?

?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• I can't work without music.
    • I can't work if music is playing.
    • Occasionally I listen to music while working.
    • -Other-

It depends on the kind of music and the kind of work.

--Erwin

Bingo. If I'm drawing, messing around in Photoshop, or working on a game then I'll put on some Ted Leo. If I'm writing, I can't have it on.

Yes, see, my friend Holly is a stripper and working without music would be very difficult for her.

Tuppence humour is so last year.

If the volume is too loud its pretty distracting. And its easier to work to music with no lyrics as opposed to music that is chock-full (like Grim soundtrack or any jazz : the Beatles).

If the volume is too loud its pretty distracting. And its easier to work to music with no lyrics as opposed to music that is chock-full (like Grim soundtrack or any jazz : the Beatles).
Words don't bother me. I can write essays to Bob Dylan and not give a fuck.

I need music if I'm working home at the computer, because it makes such a loud humming noise (I really need to get one of those new small quiet PC's). But when I'm really working - like, getting paid for it - then I don't listen to music because I need to listen to the customer. At least sometimes. :shifty:

I need to listen to music to function, like, at all. That said, I pick different kinds of music depending on the work I'm about to do, if it involves reading and/or writing, I might put on some instrumental jam or IDM and ambient shit. But then again, working? I listen to all kinds of music when I procrastinate, which is what I do most of the time.

When I'm writing an essay, drawing, designing a webpage, or doing anything that requires me to focus my mind and be productive, I find music really helps. I feel bored if there's not some kind of soundtrack to what I'm doing. It doesn't have to be any particular kind to work for me, recently it's been a lot of soundtracks though.

i made my whole nwn module while listening to classical music. i needed that for designing the whole area, writing the story, the dialoges and the poems.

so i usually listen to music but sometimes i don't.

Tonight, I've come to the conclusion that it's much nicer to work while listening to music. You are doing something fun AND working at the same time.

It so hugely depends on my mood. Sometimes music helps pass the time during a hassling chore, at other times I'm like the frustrated artists that needs total :cens0r: silence if he is to concentrate.

I don't listen much to music at all, so it's quite a chocking change if someone starts to play Beethoven or something when I'm trying to read. I really can't stand it.

Speaking of nothing, people really have no respect for Midi these days. Everyone's like "Oh, MP3, Great!!!". Then I show them some Midi file, and they're like "Oh, Midi, ungood, sadness...".

Not true! You can do amazing things with Midi, if you're skilled! Look at VGmusic.com. Specifically check out the Lemmings medley by Xky Rauh and Gerudo Valley remix number 3 by Andrew Estrada.

No, it's not a coincidence that those two are my favorite games, why do you ask?

Just wanted to say that.

Usual Midi soundbanks pale in comparison to everything. You can do better with PC beeper (try Impulse Tracker in PC-beeper mode, for example). Even Good MIDI music isn't THAT good.

If I'm in the house, and awake, I'm listening to music. I have wireless headphones, which means I listen to music even when I'm not at my PC. I listen to music playing games, surfing the Net, writing, making games, eating dinner (unless my mother shouts at me, in which case I usually take the 'phones off for the duration), doing pretty much everything... I might turn my music off if I'm playing a particularly dialogue-heavy game, but I usually mute the in-game music and turn the sound effects down low.

Only when I'm doing Computer Science homework...math, chem, history everything else has to be done in sheer silence. :yep: