Boris Stoke

Far Cry 4: A grenade rolls down everest

Same here i whacked it up to Nvidia settings and maybe its the fog as mentioned but my eyes have trouble with it. Anyone else getting a frame rate drops? Ive got a really powerful rig and im kinda shocked; TotalBiscuit had a similar problem with FC4.

I honestly recommend turning godrays off entirely. Volumetric fog makes everything look dark, nVidia godrays makes everything look washed out. And yeah, the performance is... up and down. That said, just setting everything to ultra (which is what the nVidia option does) is going to be difficult for any system to handle right now.

We all have to get used to the fact that, with a new console generation, the PC can't just automatically annihilate any game anymore. That said, though, all Ubisoft games are a bit performance dodgy at the moment.

I've got a few hours in this game now and I love it.  If you aren't blowing stuff up, riding elephants, and stabbing badgers within the first hour then you are playing it wrong.

Anyway, I have a decent computer and noticed the stuttering as well.  Here's how to fix it, if you are running an Nvidia card (I have a 770):

Open up Nvidia Control Panel (usually from the system tray).

Click Manage 3D Settings under the 3D Settings section of the list near the left of the window.

Go to the Program Settings tab, add Far Cry 4 for a custom profile.

Change Maximum Pre-rendered frames to 3, and set Power Management to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Click Apply.

Now open C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 4\[a bunch of letters and numbers]\GamerProfile.xml with a text editor.  Change GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1".  Save, close, open FC4, enjoy silky smooth video.

Ugh this game has the same annoying FOV problem as FC3 where it changes to the default super narrow FOV during cutscenes, opening doors, and other first-person interactions. It even happens while in a vehicle. I don't remember that being the case in FC3. Flying a helicopter is almost unplayable while looking through a cardboard tube, and it makes me nauseous. Even worse it seems to change depending on the speed you are moving and which direction you look! What the hell were they thinking? I can't even see if there is a way to fix this because all the search results are about how the pirated version has no FOV slider at all. I have a FOV slider, but the game seems to ignore it whenever it feels like.

Where next for Far Cry 5?

Aussie outback is littered with deadly beasts... Next gen Alice Springs would be cool...

Plus loads of excentric personalities to under-utilise.

Aussie outback is littered with deadly beasts... Next gen Alice Springs would be cool...

Arctic Circle, go club some seals.

Appalachia!

Appalachia!

Oh jeez, voting up on this a million times. I have a close friend who grew up in a rural part of central Pennsylvania, and from sight and story it's much more suited to the "wilderness filled with guns" setting that the Far Cry series seems to think belongs to the Third World.

Oh jeez, voting up on this a million times. I have a close friend who grew up in a rural part of central Pennsylvania, and from sight and story it's much more suited to the "wilderness filled with guns" setting that the Far Cry series seems to think belongs to the Third World.

Also huge towering pillars of flame from gas wells (I took this picture from my yard here in West Virginia last Thursday):

DpkRrxP.jpg

Full picture: http://i.imgur.com/ykROGtS.jpg

I would buy and play a Far Cry game set in West Virginia (or Missouri).  Preferably Missouri though.  The Kansan in me relishes the opportunity to "liberate" towns and outposts from Missourians. 

Fuck, you actually could make Far Cry: Bleeding Kansas.  That's a thing that structurally could easily exist.

I would buy and play a Far Cry game set in West Virginia (or Missouri). Preferably Missouri though. The Kansan in me relishes the opportunity to "liberate" towns and outposts from Missourians.

Fuck, you actually could make Far Cry: Bleeding Kansas. That's a thing that structurally could easily exist.

Holy shit...imagine a period-piece Farcry set in the late 19th century in WV and Kentucky. Farcry: Hatfields and McCoys...you've got your warring factions and everything. Farcry: Early 20th Century Coal Mining Labor Dispute could also be good.

I do think Farcry: The Moon is where the series needs to be eventually.

Edit: Now that I think about it...a Farcry game set in a couple fictional southern West Virginia counties in the early 20's could be interesting. There is so much going on in that region in that era...the little labor war going on, prohibition kicking in, the fact that the Hatfield and McCoy feud was still somewhat fresh in people's minds. You could have fictionalized versions of things in order for it to better fit a game perhaps (which is the Farcry formula). I'm slightly concerned that it could or would be exploitative in a way, but it would still be less so than what we've seen recently from the series (and its something with enough distance from us in terms of time that its less a concern and my biggest concern would be how race relations and racism in the region at that time in history would be handled in the game in a sensitive and responsible manner given the past couple of Farcry games).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

Exactly! Either of those would be great. But the Bleeding Kansas portion of Kansas/Missouri history is fascinating to me.  Two states/proto-states in a war with each other before the rest of the country was willing to face that armed conflict had become inevitable.  Whole towns burned down.

John Brown was fucking made to go onto the cover of a Far Cry box.

post-33601-0-62028100-1417796722_thumb.jpg

Exactly! Either of those would be great. But the Bleeding Kansas portion of Kansas/Missouri history is fascinating to me. Two states/proto-states in a war with each other before the rest of the country was willing to face that armed conflict had become inevitable. Whole towns burned down.

John Brown was fucking made to go onto the cover of a Far Cry box.

I love that painting! I know Farcry will likely never go there, but it just goes to show how many opportunities there are for good story telling that are untapped in terms of games. Every inch of the world is filled to the brim of stories...spanning countless years of human history. You look into the history of any place and you'll find fascinating people who lived through amazing things.

Edit: I would add that my knowledge of the southern part of the state isn't the best, as I grew up and have spent almost all of my life in the north-central part of it (grew up in and around Weston (which is sort of in the middle of the state) and went to college in Fairmont which is a good bit further north).

I do think Farcry: The Moon is where the series needs to be eventually.

If this happens, I want to see the return of Jack Carver.

Notice how Hergé worked around actually having to draw the rhino, the lazy bum.

I finally played a bit of Far Cry 4, which was the first Far Cry I ever played. What instantly struck me was how... not crazy it was. After years of being assaulted with tales of wacky hijinks and unexpected chaos when systems start interlocking, the actual experience was rather dull. The only mad things to happen were being attacked by an eagle and having a helicopter crush me after jumping out of said helicopter. But of the hours in this game, most were traversing rather empty areas by car or foot, and not much interesting happening. If I compare this to Arkham City, where there's something going on at every turn, Far Cry 4 is positively dull.

Even the animal mechanics weren't that interesting. I'd been expecting massive stampedes of wildlife trampling around villages and getting into fights everywhere, but nope, you just throw some weaponized meat around and a badger spawns and maybe attacks a dude. I dunno, perhaps it ramps up later on, but the minute to minute gameplay was disappointing after the wonderful stories of crazy shit happening.

What the fuck Tintin?

I finally played a bit of Far Cry 4, which was the first Far Cry I ever played. What instantly struck me was how... not crazy it was. After years of being assaulted with tales of wacky hijinks and unexpected chaos when systems start interlocking, the actual experience was rather dull. The only mad things to happen were being attacked by an eagle and having a helicopter crush me after jumping out of said helicopter. But of the hours in this game, most were traversing rather empty areas by car or foot, and not much interesting happening. If I compare this to Arkham City, where there's something going on at every turn, Far Cry 4 is positively dull.

Even the animal mechanics weren't that interesting. I'd been expecting massive stampedes of wildlife trampling around villages and getting into fights everywhere, but nope, you just throw some weaponized meat around and a badger spawns and maybe attacks a dude. I dunno, perhaps it ramps up later on, but the minute to minute gameplay was disappointing after the wonderful stories of crazy shit happening.

To me the stuff that is going on in Arkham City feels very different from the wacky shit that can happen in Far Cry games. In Batmen the events feel heavily "scripted" – a group of criminals holding police hostage here, another bunch committing a crime there – and I can't remember encountering many emergent or improvised scenarios. Far Cry games may feel more dull than those games if you compare the frequency of events but man, when the grenade rolls down the hill and fucks up everything, it feels good!

Or maybe you are just dull person, I dunno. :gaming:

Far Cry 2 conpared to Far Cry 4 on Game Makers Toolkit. Good five minute mechanics comparison.

Found at Kotaku

A Far Cry with dinosaurs is pretty close to my all-time fantasy of wanting a rebooted version of Trespasser that actually achieved what it set out to do and wasn't a rushed buggy mess that barely qualified as a game. I would prefer anything sci-fi simply if it means they stay as far away as possible from the rebel uprising in a foreign land stories that were handled so insensitively in 3 and 4.

I recently picked up Far Cry 4 at the behest of a friend that wanted a co-op buddy to play with, and I just want to say don't let this game color your perception of what Far Cry 2 is like! I basically agree entirely with your assessment of Far Cry 4. For all the chaos that is generated in the world I am not finding any moments that are nearly as interesting as Far Cry 2 because I don't think the game's systems are designed in such a way to force the player to improvise. My experience with Far Cry 4 is I either get the jump on some enemies, or some enemies get the jump on me, and there isn't too much else to any given encounter. Like, one time I stepped out of a safe house, and instantly got mauled by a rhino. That may have been unexpected, but it wasn't particularly interesting.

Meanwhile, despite Far Cry 2 in many ways being way less "player friendly" than subsequent Far Cry games, I find I'm typically able to somehow narrowly escape whatever crazy situation I end up in. Add to that that Far Cry 2 just does a way better job of selling its setting and I think it is still very much the best game in the series.