Boris Stoke

Far Cry 4: A grenade rolls down everest

The game looks absolutely terrific to me, but I skipped Far Cry 3 so I guess I'm missing out on this 'surprise' aspect of it that almost every single person reviewing Far Cry 4 seems to mention. I suppose that this could be a bit like watching Fringe without ever watching The X-Files, getting to appreciate the compounded achievements of both.

It does seem distasteful to be going around slaughtering copious amounts of animals, but then you can go right ahead and do the same kind of thing to civilians in many games. The best example is probably Grand Theft Auto, which incentivises killing civilians by giving you small amounts of money for it, but simultaneously discourages it by introducing the risk that the police will come after you.

It'll be nice if Far Cry 4 has a similar approach and allows nutters to go on risky rampages that attract attention from any enemies nearby if they wish, while also making the game fully playable without having to take animals down (unless they're being assholes). I'd certainly like to not be throwing grenades and fire bombs at poor grizzly bears that are just chilling in the woods.

What if attacking too many animals too often in to short a time would result in a horde of angry chickens descending upon you and pecking you to death ala LttP (though with shades of The Birds)?

OR perhaps the abominable Swamp-Thing would show up and murder your character while giving a monologue about nature and the environment. 

OR perhaps the abominable Swamp-Thing would show up and murder your character while giving a monologue about nature and the environment. 

I support this feature in every game. FUCK I WANT A SWAMP THING GAME SO BAD.

Game looks awesome. Give me more Far Cry 3 but Far Cry 4 instead.

I bought Call of Duty as a "looks decent, nothing else really coming" purchase, and now there's all this Far Cry and Dragon Age in my face and I'm regretful.

At least those other games may go on sale at some point.

Was watching the Giant Bomb quick look and it appears that Ubisoft kept my most irritated feature of FarCry 3... the protagonist whines every time he guts an animal. At some point, I figured you just wouldn't care...

In a surprising twist, there is a pacifist run for Far Cry 4:

Yeah, have seen this yesterday. That's a nice little feature.

Yeah I think it's a pretty amusing gag ending. Seems to be Far Cry's way of telling you "if you want to play this like a good guy, then don't play the game at all."

@COLLEGEBABY - I wonder if you can BUY animal skins instead of murdering animals. But then I guess in that case you're just supporting virtual animal slaughter industry, so it's not much better.

100% would support an NPC to whom you could take leaves and bark and shit and have him turn 'em into vegan knife sheathes and rocket-launcher slings.

Yeah there is plant harvesting so that could work. I presume they didn't add something like that because you don't solve it by shooting at it. It just goes to show how arbitrary the upgrade system is. All this illegal gun trading and nobody anywhere has a weapon holster unless they tear it from the back of a mountain goat. Apparently everyone in Kyrat is an expert leather craftsman.

It does seem distasteful to be going around slaughtering copious amounts of animals, but then you can go right ahead and do the same kind of thing to civilians in many games. The best example is probably Grand Theft Auto, which incentivises killing civilians by giving you small amounts of money for it, but simultaneously discourages it by introducing the risk that the police will come after you.

It'll be nice if Far Cry 4 has a similar approach and allows nutters to go on risky rampages that attract attention from any enemies nearby if they wish, while also making the game fully playable without having to take animals down (unless they're being assholes). I'd certainly like to not be throwing grenades and fire bombs at poor grizzly bears that are just chilling in the woods.

True but making money from murder sprees is not efficient and it's not the only way to make money in the game, as opposed to Far Cry 3/4 where crafting is only possible by killing animals. The police also provides the player with an interesting gameplay challenge. Killing pigs to make a thingamajig to hold more weapons is just boring, and treats animals as trivial tools.

I've heard people mention this game has some sort of Karma system, which made me groan so hard I almost lost my voice, but it could provide an interesting dynamic to this problem. I have no idea what it entails though. I did like the way Dishonored handled this sort of thing with its morality system; by doing more violent acts the game retaliated with a more violent world.

Karma looks like it ultimately provides discounts on buying guns, ammo and mercenaries.  Because who wants rewarded in the next life when you can buy more sweet guns in this one!

OK a thing I discovered is that how you kill an animal effects what you get from it. If it dies in a fire or explosion the skin is damaged beyond use. Makes sense. Killing an animal cleanly (machete or arrow) gets you more craftables and "karma points" which lead to lower store prices and more AI backup. Basically things that make it easier to kill more people.

Because who wants rewarded in the next life when you can buy more sweet guns in this one!

Sure sounds like a Dalai Lama quote.

Oh man they really missed a golden opportunity to completely bastardize Eastern reincarnation mythology by incorporating it as a death/respawn system. Disappointed in you Ubisoft.

You know what'd be nice? The ability to tranquilise animals and give them a peaceful death before horrifically ripping off their skin. Is this entirely obvious thing implemented?

Sleep darts, stun grenades, choke holds... it's not like you can't make a challenging emergent game while using non-lethal tools. Paint ball guns and bean bag guns sound like the kind of quirky silliness that should be in a Far Cry game.

So... are those things actually in Far Cry 4 then? If so then it's great that I'll be able to put animals to sleep before putting them to rest. I'll feel far less evil.

Someone somewhere mentioned that they patched FC3 with a little switch that resets all the outposts, so I popped that game in the other day. Hot damn, I forgot how much fun it is to take over the outposts. The main storyline stuff must have REALLY bummed me out in FC3. Looking at the world map, I think I must have finished the storyline and said, "ahh, fuck this game." But man, just running around doing outposts is spectacular, especially with a filled-out skill tree and the fancy guns. I forgot (or never knew) that disabling one alarm disabled ALL alarms, which really improves the experience. Cutting those alarms is so satisfying, especially once half the outpost is in flames and you hear a dude shouting, "sound the alarm!" knowing that if he had a virtual spirit it would be virtually crushed.

Now it looks like FC4 has a map editor that lets you design single-player maps/missions. If 12-year-old me had FC4, I know what he would be doing with 90% of his waking hours. He never would have graduated high school. Thank goodness Today's Me doesn't have a system that can run FC4.

So, I've played this for 15 minutes :tup:

The brightness/contrast in this game is weird.

I adjusted the brightness so that the elephant head was barely visible which made the game realllllly dark. So I've played around with it and ended up back around the default brightness which is fine. But, seperate to that the game has really harsh contrast. Anyone else feel this way? Never had this problem with FC3.

I thought it would look prettier than this being next gen and all /shrugs. Maybe I should play more than 15minutes :P

If you're using volumetric fog, that seems to make everything darker. Meanwhile, nVidia Godrays make everything too washed out!

So, I've played this for 15 minutes :tup:

The brightness/contrast in this game is weird.

I thought it would look prettier than this being next gen and all /shrugs. Maybe I should play more than 15minutes :P

Same here i whacked it up to Nvidia settings and maybe its the fog as mentioned but my eyes have trouble with it. Anyone else getting a frame rate drops? Ive got a really powerful rig and im kinda shocked; TotalBiscuit had a similar problem with FC4.

I've played more than 15mins \o/

I've put in probably like 3 hours I'd say. Like it. Killed loooooots of animals.I've got over my contrast "issues" would recommended :tup:

I can't help but constantly quote the late great Pete Postlethwaite from Jurassic park 2: the lost world, with the line... "Arjay... JUMP""