Boris Stoke

Far Cry 4: A grenade rolls down everest

Watched the gameplay video first, actually got excited when they said the protagonist was a native of the country depicted!  Yesss!  Then I watched the 'first five minutes" and he turns out to be yet another bro with an American passport.  I guess this is the 'forumula' now. 

They open the trailer with 'Namaste'. I think that's all we really need to say about cultural appropriation today!

They open the trailer with 'Namaste'. I think that's all we really need to say about cultural appropriation today!

I know i should feel bad for saying this, but i kinda like that humour; its not too tongue-and-cheek and its not too up itself cultural statement.

The fake Nepal looks pretty gorgeous! If the story and gameplay are bearable, I may eventually buy this game just to enjoy the scenery and turn all the endangered species into wallets.

So yeah, graphically stunning and looks fun.

I wonder where the whole leaked story about a non-white protagonist came from then.  If that was just internet bullshit, or if they actually changed their mind at some point in development. 

He definitely looked white. But it was only a very small portion of the video for the selfie so I didn't bother zooming in and enhancing cause I was busy not caring.

When they assault the fortress in that video does it start off with the player spraying MG-42 bullets at a couple of civilians? That struck me as a little weird.

Man fuck civilians. Always getting in the way of my bullets.

He definitely looked white.

Remember how well that played out five pages back?

Everything so far has lined up with the leaked details. In the Sony briefing, it was confirmed that the player's name is Ajay Ghale. Here's the text that was pulled from Uplay:

Hidden in the majestic Himalayas lies Kyrat, a country steeped in tradition and violence. You are Ajay Ghale. Travelling to Kyrat to fulfil your mother’s dying wish, you find yourself caught up in a civil war to overthrow the oppressive regime of dictator Pagan Min.

What does the guy on the right look like to you?

Like you're about to drag this thread into another unnecessary, argument based on erroneous speculation.

Will you still shake your head and say, "nuh uh!" in five months when the game's release conclusively proves the player character is not, in fact, white?

Yeah, you showed that you're willing to pull quotes out of context to prove a point that didn't exist while mischaracterizing what I said and a bunch of us agreed that the design is problematic no matter what his race is.  What was your point?

Holy shit, why are you doing this? What do you get out of being a tremendous turd?

Boycott the game, boycott Ubisoft, boycott video games. But for the love of God, stop making things up to support your fragile argument based on a postage stamp-sized frame pulled from a Youtube clip.

Yeah, I thought the villain looked Asian and I was right! That dude looks white. Since I was right before I'm right now.

QED im so smrt

I mean I don't know what you want dude I said a lot in that post to indicate I wasn't sure, so please chill out in the future.

Holy shit, why are you doing this? What do you get out of being a tremendous turd?

Boycott the game, boycott Ubisoft, boycott video games. But for the love of God, stop making things up to support your fragile argument based on a postage stamp-sized frame pulled from a Youtube clip.

Please fucking stop. I'm tired of seeing you running your mouth and being an asshole to totally reasonable people.

I don't know how many times I need to phrase this in this thread, so let me go ahead and make this about as clear as I possibly can:

I fully expect for Ubisoft's attempt to explore deeper, more complex themes to fall flat on its face. The company has a history of unintentionally injecting its games with tone-deaf imagery and content.

Thanks, this is hilarious.  I'm mean, practically pissing myself funny.  Thanks, really.  Do you remember your color swatches?  From a few pages back?  The ones you used as your "proof"?

And I had missed that they character's name was confirmed as Ajay Ghale, that's my bad, and it is a good sign.  But watching the trailer live, my reaction was, oh, hey, looks like a white guy.  The same reaction a bunch of people in the IT chat had.  And apparently the same reaction other people had not on Idle Thumbs.  You want people to be quiet, and wait patiently for Ubi to show that they aren't going to fuck this up while talking all the positive talk you want.  Too fucking bad.  The world doesn't work that way. 

Stop.  Stop right there.  Stop making this personal, and don't dare insult, or try to mischaracterize why or what I am doing.  All I've ever wanted to do here was discuss what's going on with this game, and you've drug it down to a personal level.  And hell, what I started off doing was simply defending other people's rights to criticize a game's marketing.  Which is still a fine and acceptable thing for people to do. 

And I'm done with you.  I'm blocking all future posts by you, I think it will be for the best.  A majority of our bickering has come from a combination of you mischaracterizing what I'm saying, or both of us reacting to the shitty tone of the other (which I share total responsibility for).  It will be for the best if I don't interact with you from now on.

Best thread ever.

I aim to please and entertain in all things. 

Oh my god, he is not white.

Just because he's American doesn't mean he's white.

My issue is with the 'bro' perspective in this game.  Dude looks like a close releative of Jason Brody.  Even if he is South Asian.  And the game looks like a close relative of FC3.  Shame too because like AssCreed: Robspierre, the setting looks marvelous.

Ugh, yeah. Like I said, old wounds. Sorry, everybody!

Also, as to the soldiers: Are we sure they are even supposed to be Nepalese? I thought the game was set in some sort of fictional kingdom and as far as I am aware part of the Himalaya is in Indian territory.

Yes, part of the Himalayas are in India, but those areas speak Pahari, not Hindi. If it's a fictional Himalayan state, it's a little odd for its residents to be speaking the language of their lowland neighbor.

indicf.jpg

Also, I've now seen it repeated in a few other places that what's wrong are the big-city accents as much as the choice of language. People are saying that Ubi must have just brought in some Indian immigrants to do all the "native" parts. Again, disappointing if true. I can't tell, but I'm inclined to defer to people with the ear to care.

Ugh, yeah. Like I said, old wounds. Sorry, everybody!

Yes, part of the Himalayas are in India, but those areas speak Pahari, not Hindi. If it's a fictional Himalayan state, it's a little odd for its residents to be speaking the language of their lowland neighbor.

indicf.jpg

Also, I've now seen it repeated in a few other places that what's wrong are the big-city accents as much as the choice of language. People are saying that Ubi must have just brought in some Indian immigrants to do all the "native" parts. Again, disappointing if true. I can't tell, but I'm inclined to defer to people with the ear to care.

Well, I'm dumb.