Boris Stoke

Far Cry 4: A grenade rolls down everest

I might be alone in this, but I thought Vaas was a good scene chewing, mustache twirling villain. I had a lot more of a problem with dubstep rich kid bro turned killer. Man, if the rich kid was like explicitly a full on rich kid asshole stomping natives it would have been a really different game. 

I might be alone in this, but I thought Vaas was a good scene chewing, mustache twirling villain. I had a lot more of a problem with dubstep rich kid bro turned killer. Man, if the rich kid was like explicitly a full on rich kid asshole stomping natives it would have been a really different game. 

Vaas had potential and was well above the rest of the crudely drawn and annoying characters portrayed in FC3,   Because it was all meant to be ironic! Sure made it hard to play through to the end though.

Far Cry 4 certainly looks like it's doubling down on over-the-top characters from FC3.  Not my cup of tea.  I miss the one dimensional party hacks, mercs and tin pot generals of FC2 (like the dude shown in my avatar).  Much more believable even in the ridiculous situations of that game.  But we're a long way from FC2 now.

I absolutely hated Tomb Raider and this looks to be very much that sort of thing.   

This could be fun, the story of FC3 was pretty bad though, but I did enjoy the gameplay (though I never finished the game, got bored after reaching the 2nd island, and Vaas, the only good character, was out of the picture). It did feel like a poor man's Just Cause 2 though. So really, I just want another Just Cause for my open world tropical mayhem simulation.

Ugh.. that cover is so off-putting to me, for many reasons, but mostly because I really disliked the "cool", "twisted", "compelling" (?) villain thing they were going for in Far Cry 3. My guess is that Far Cry 4 is going to be more of the same. I.e. you play as a western hiker whose mountain climbing trip turns sour when you cross paths with the gang of the dude in a colorful suit. To free your friends (and, eventually, your mind) you have to help the locals end the tyranny of the man with a ridiculous British accent.

Wow, this is exactly my prediction of the game's plot. Also, an old man/woman teaches you some crazy form of zen that lets you slow down time and pull off sweet kills, but in the end they reject you because you used it for violence.

Old woman, and not SEXY woman?! I'm not getting the sex appeal here bud. 

Okay, check it: old man with a sexy daughter, plus the initial "gaining ancient power" scene heavily implies that the daughter services you in some way.

Okay, check it: old man with a sexy daughter, plus the initial "gaining ancient power" scene heavily implies that the daughter services you in some way.

I love it, get this man a job ASAP.

...does anyone else think he looks like Anderson Cooper?

tumblr_inline_mg4pvgn6yx1r72hzl.jpg

...maybe its just the hair.

Man, I was just scanning the thread to see if anyone else thought that.  Check out Serious Cooper for a comparison:

post-33601-0-51812700-1400274531.jpg

If Anderson Cooper does the voice work and mocap for that guy I'm buying the game.

Far Cry 3 was a weird game, specially in its story aspect. At first, I thought it was completely lame, I had the impression that they maybe would make something different, more surreal, judging by the trailers. Ubi did a great job by creating something really unusual with Driver: San Francisco, so I thought they would repeat the story with Far Cry 3. So in my first playthrough that was a big letdown.

However, after upgrading my PC, I decided to replay the game just for maximum graphics. I've also read an article at RPS in which the writers of FC3 said that the whole story was meant to be a big joke, that it was some sort of criticism and satire of video games. I honestly couldn't get much of the satire, or what was really funny about it, but I really enjoyed the game whan I realized that nothing of the story should be taken seriously. It was entertaining.

I'm looking forward for Far Cry 4, and  contrary to most of the people here at Thumbs, I'd prefer it to be more similar to 3 than 2. I don't know why, but I couldn't get into Far Cry 2. When I see all the praise for Far Cry 2 here, I think there's so much focus on it's form than it's actual content, like how great and outrageous the game design was, but I rarely see someone saying how that made it a better game. I think that when you're too involved with video games, maybe a good design idea is already something that makes you instantly like the game more, and as I'm not someone who's involved that much, maybe I can't get the same feeling. But I can understand why people love Far Cry 2 that much.

For me, Far Cry is one of those idyllic games that never flipped my switch. I think people appreciated the attempt at realism and immersion (gun parts wearing out, actually looking at a map to figure out where you are instead of following a Crazy Taxi arrow). Far Cry 3 had far improved gunplay and the ability to capture bases and not have to deal with a ton of respawning enemies was nice. Still, there was something about its presentation that was too cartoony for me (and I'm guessing most of the Thumbs who have an appreciation for FC2).

Personally, I would like to see a game where both schools of design meet somewhere in the middle.

I have a ton of hours in FC2. Bought the Steam edition recently and somehow 40 more hours of my life disappeared.  I just love playing FC2 although it's by no means a perfect game.  It just works for me when I'm in that wander around and shoot to survive frame of mind.  The missions are more fun to play out too, and no QTE nonsense.

I've tried jumping into FC3 that way but it just doesn't work.   The atmosphere isn't bad, it's just not nearly as good.  I get tired of hearing the same guy say he got might have got clap over and over again.  The NPC's are drawn so much better in FC2.  

I really liked FC3, it had some weird stuff...the story was terrible, the crafting felt added on for the sake of it, also enemies disappearing once you clear out a base made the world feel empty, but it still had that amazing random little events that told a story each time. That's what I love about the FC games, and they do it well. I'll definitely be grabbing FC4.

I'm not sure I can believe the satirical angle of the story. It felt too much like text book AAA power fantasy story for me. Sounds like people are trying to rationalise a shit story in a decent game.

As someone who played and completed Far Cry 3, who the fuck is Hurk again? Man I'd better pre-order so I can get some closure on that iconic character.

Edit:

He only appears in the game through the exclusive content Monkey Business in which Jason helps Hurk through four missions.

Oh. Great.

Wait, so that means there is a direct tie between Far Cry 3 and 4?

I thought Far Cry was kind of like Final Fantasy, in that each game in the series is completely separate from one another? ...maybe I should actually play a FarCry game.

They're connected to the same degree that Final Fantasy 7 is connected to 13-3.

gNip5ED.jpg

As someone who played and completed Far Cry 3, who the fuck is Hurk again? Man I'd better pre-order so I can get some closure on that iconic character.

I think you should wait for someone to compile a version matrix before making that decision. Otherwise, you might miss the epic snow leopard hunt DLC.

I think you should wait for someone to compile a version matrix before making that decision. Otherwise, you might miss the epic snow leopard hunt DLC.

I'm more worried about missing the Far Cry 2 tie-in. Pre-order from Gamestop to receive exclusive in-game malaria!