Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed Unity

All this talk of Unity just makes me to get Ass Creed: Pirates! for the PS4. I've still not played it and the theme appeals to me a lot more than Unity's. The last one I totally got into was AC2, and Unity seems a bit overly similar. Renaissance Italy and France... what's the difference, right?!

Normally I'd agree with you, but Ubisoft has had a lot of practice with using a billion studios for a single game. You'd think they'd have it down pat. I mean, there's really only been one flop (in terms of technical issues) in this series, and that was AC3. And I think that was mostly on PC? I don't know for sure, though. Maybe it was similarly shit on consoles.

I don't remember having any issues with AC3 on PC. I bought Unity on PS4 in order to play co-op with a friend. The framerate drops to slide slow levels in weirdly specific places, which leads to me to believe that shit might be fixable, but I don't know if that's actually the case or ever going to happen. It's a real shame because they have made a lot of welcome improvements to the Assassin's Creed gameplay (e.g. escaping the pursuers is not a pain in the ass anymore) and Paris looks fantastic (although, the late 1800s Paris that was glimpsed in one of the rift sections looked even better). 

All this talk of Unity just makes me to get Ass Creed: Pirates! for the PS4. I've still not played it and the theme appeals to me a lot more than Unity's. The last one I totally got into was AC2, and Unity seems a bit overly similar. Renaissance Italy and France... what's the difference, right?!

I know this is a joke, but not only does Unity take place in a different country than Ass2, it's also nearly 300 years later. The time difference between the two games is almost the same as the difference between Ass1 and Ass2. Now, Ass3 is almost contemporaneous with Unity, so that's a reasonable complaint.

Haha, yeah I was only kidding there. Although there was some sincerity too, in that after the fantastic but draining city-based gameplay of AC2 — and then in relatively quick succession Brotherhood and Revelations (both of which I gave up on after a little while because it was just too much of the same) — I still can't stomach the thought of another large romp of this kind that's primarily set within a city. Hopefully the sparser and more beautiful environments of AC4 will reinvigorate my interest in the series somewhat and I'll be ready for the more urban stuff, which I would hope has been improved gameplay-wise since the earlier games.

I don't remember having any issues with AC3 on PC.

I did, and I played it rather recently. Framerate was horrendous.

Has anyone made an "Assassin's Greed" joke yet? If not, I call dibs.

Just saw the AC: Rogue quick look from GB.

That looks like the AC game I actually want to play. Anticipating its PC release sometime next year.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/7238101/assassins-creed-unity-denounced-in-france-as-anti-revolutionary

"The leftist politician described Marie-Antoinette as "that cretin, who is celebrated as a poor little rich girl" in the game. But his greatest outrage is for Ubi's portrayal of Robbespierre, a leader of the Revolution and, it ought to be noted, mass executioner of its enemies." 

Anyone who has played have any thoughts? From the other assassins creed games I have played, I always thought they did a good job of representing the good and bad sides of historic figures they portrayed (Except for the pirates in Black Flag, who should have been way more murderous and terrible.)

I played this at my cousin's and good lord what a gorgeous game! It surely is the biggest graphical leap we have yet, very very pretty and unmatched by any other game so far, when it comes to complex graphics. The performance wasn't bad when you lock it at 30 fps, plays good on a decent PC.

However, the game is not really good to play, it felt a bit slower than most assassins creed, didn't control very well. I couldn't evaluate game/level design though, played for a brief time.

I think I'll buy it when its cheap last year, the visuals are worth it, depending on the price.

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that TEN STUDIOS WORKED ON THIS

TEN

TEN DISTINCT TEAMS OF PEOPLE POURED RESOURCES INTO THIS THING AND IT STILL FELL APART AT THE FINISH LINE

video games.

Takes me right back to Assassin's Creed 1, and the almost universal disappointment in its gameplay yet absolute wonder at its visuals (funny to think how unimpressive it seems now).

Accompanying that sentiment (I didn't rate it that highly either), I have heard some developers speak very highly of AC1 in relation to its sequels, on the basis that it allowed for the most freeform play situations -- triggering guards, escalating the AI response, attempting to escape, very much a GTA cops vs character affair. It's massively anecdotal of course.

I feel like they downplayed Machiavelli's more sinister side in the Ezio-based Creed games.

It has never been clear if Machiavelli was really writing a guide on ruling like a big jerk or a parody of how big jerks rule. I have read The Prince, most of it is practical advice and very applicable to Crusader Kings 2.

Takes me right back to Assassin's Creed 1, and the almost universal disappointment in its gameplay yet absolute wonder at its visuals (funny to think how unimpressive it seems now).

Does it have the trapped in the air mid-jump bug, because that was my favorite *eye twitch*

It has never been clear if Machiavelli was really writing a guide on ruling like a big jerk or a parody of how big jerks rule. I have read The Prince, most of it is practical advice and very applicable to Crusader Kings 2.

Archie might have been kidding? Personally, I've always found The Prince to be a fairly obvious parody. His Discourses on Livy and Florentine Histories show an intelligent man deeply involved in and committed to humanist values as embodied in a republic of free men (which he identified as Florence before the Medici, a debatable conclusion of his). But then, the Assassin's Creed series has always been about the dime-store versions of historical figures, good or bad.

Accompanying that sentiment (I didn't rate it that highly either), I have heard some developers speak very highly of AC1 in relation to its sequels, on the basis that it allowed for the most freeform play situations -- triggering guards, escalating the AI response, attempting to escape, very much a GTA cops vs character affair. It's massively anecdotal of course.

AC1 is my favorite, but I only played the first three. I felt like the assassinations were much, much stronger in 1. Also, I didn't really care for the steadily accumulating cruft of the other ones.

However, the game is not really good to play, it felt a bit slower than most assassins creed, didn't control very well. I couldn't evaluate game/level design though, played for a brief time.

It does seem that the movements is indeed a bit slower, but I got used to it pretty fast. Many aspects of gameplay have been vastly improved: Separate climb up and climb down modifiers make traversing the rooftops easier. Escaping pursuers is no longer a lesson in frustration. You are given enough gadgets early on to make the missions fun. There are multiple ways to earn and spend money this time around. etc.

I can't think of anything that is remarkably worse as compared to the previous games right now. (I do miss the ship combat, though.)

So far the missions have been nice as well (I'm in sequence 6). They seem to have decreased the number of frustrating mission types, especially the tailing missions, drastically. The big assassination missions are also more open-ended than in the recent Assassin's Creed games, and there are side objectives that offer you new assassination possibilities or otherwise aid you in your task. There are definitely less shake-your-fist-at-the-TV moments in this one than in the previous iterations.

Like I said, shame about the technical issues, because there is a good game underneath.

AC1 is my favorite, but I only played the first three. I felt like the assassinations were much, much stronger in 1. Also, I didn't really care for the steadily accumulating cruft of the other ones.

This is my opinion as well. I think it is a bit samey and the mini-missions don't really feel like they're particularly relevant to the final assassination, but AC2 made it far less ambitious in order to 'fix' that, mostly by taking the same gameplay elements and wrapping them in a storyline so you can't see what's coming.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/7238101/assassins-creed-unity-denounced-in-france-as-anti-revolutionary

"The leftist politician described Marie-Antoinette as "that cretin, who is celebrated as a poor little rich girl" in the game. But his greatest outrage is for Ubi's portrayal of Robbespierre, a leader of the Revolution and, it ought to be noted, mass executioner of its enemies." 

Anyone who has played have any thoughts? From the other assassins creed games I have played, I always thought they did a good job of representing the good and bad sides of historic figures they portrayed (Except for the pirates in Black Flag, who should have been way more murderous and terrible.)

Because of course we're gonna talk about history in the Idle Thumbs AC thread, I would actually say that the overall "pirate" representation of history is far more murderous than they actually were. That's not to say there wasn't a fair bit of murdering, because of course there was. However, there are quite a number of pirates you would recognize the names of that were landed gentlemen before turning to piracy. On top of that, some pirates were secretly commissioned by the crowns of Europe as privateers. They were certainly actual ship's captains. Like lots of history that's given lip service but not explored in depth in history classes, the age of piracy is highly caricatured. It was also shorter than you probably think.

They were certainly actual ship's captains. Like lots of history that's given lip service but not explored in depth in history classes, the age of piracy is highly caricatured.

But they at least wore pirate hats with skulls on them right?