Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed Unity

Can you re-post those tweets? Twitter is blocked at work and I'm dying to know.

Fuck Assassin’s Creed

B2LTwkDIcAA064k.png

Also: the game has “treasure chests that can only be opened if you have been using the game’s iOS companion app”. That can get fucked too

Holy shit, that's audacious. I'm genuinely speechless. Straight up mixing in F2P unlocking costs with a full price AAA game.

Yiiikes. Well, the signs were on the walls. Multiple sites have put up quite critical reviews.

...And then slapped a 7/10 score on it.

Not sure, to be honest. I just know I cringe at the sight of it. D:

Fuck Assassin’s Creed

B2LTwkDIcAA064k.png

Also: the game has “treasure chests that can only be opened if you have been using the game’s iOS companion app”. That can get fucked too

I am disappointed that this forum does not have a "Favourite" feature like Twitter does.

But maybe using the "Quote" feature and increasing the text size is the next best thing.

can anybody playing this game talk to how it treats the french revolution? i guess i don't expect it to be any more than just another AC with the setting as the backdrop, but there's so many side stories i can imagine being weaved that link directly to the revolution itself. does it take advantage of the setting by just showing executions and nobles being mean to proles?

It seems the game runs pretty bad on most setups, even on Consoles. You need at least a GTX 680 to run it on medium/low at 40 fps, according to nVidia. But it does look very nice though.

I was really interested in this game before, but lately AAA games have been so disappointing that I decided to not buy them anymore and just put my money on a Wii U.

At least the game seems to have some pretty cute bugs:

huYDJC2.jpg

U8zh6Pp.jpg

why did I buy this

Because an Assassin's Creed game set during the French Revolution SHOULD be the best and most joyous version of Assassin's Creed.

Can you set the spoken language to French and turn on English subtitles?

Doing that with Italian for AC2 made for a good time.

Developer(s): Ubisoft Montreal

Additional work by Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Singapore, Ubisoft Quebec, Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Chengdu, Ubisoft Ukraine, Ubisoft Montpellier, and Ubisoft Bucharest

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that TEN STUDIOS WORKED ON THIS

TEN

TEN DISTINCT TEAMS OF PEOPLE POURED RESOURCES INTO THIS THING AND IT STILL FELL APART AT THE FINISH LINE

Having 10 studios work on a game actually sounds like a good way create a total mess of a game. What a logistical nightmare to be a project manager for that.

Played a couple of hours of this yesterday. While it does feel like a big, bloated mess for all the reasons mentioned here, it still feels like one of the best Assassin's Creed games I've played in a while. I guess I'm just a fan of the series. 

The graphics are gorgeous, especially the lighting and the faces. I've had a few performance issues on PS4 where the game will stutter, but nothing horrendous yet. 

The setting is really good I think. There are so many more people on the streets, and being able to zip through the door of a building, up the stairs and out the window opens up some of the traversal. The controls feel a bit better as well, holding R2 + X to ascend and R2 + O to descend while freerunning works well.

The first big assassination mission happens in the Notre Dame cathedral, and for a beautiful moment it was completely emergent. Spoilers, just in case, I guess.

The game tells you there are 10 possible entrances, but nothing else, just "go get that guy". I followed a guard, stole his keys, climbed the side of the cathedral, went in through a window, and took out a patrolling guard on the upper level (at which point the cathedral organist played a hilariously ominous chord). As I was sneaking around looking for a way to take out my target, I found a secret panel which opened a door into the sewers below. I killed the target, ran a guard through with my sword, and bolted into the sewers. I felt lost for a good 30 seconds until I eventually found a way back up onto the streets, and I was home clear. It was some good clean honest video game fun.

..And then I got sucked into a time-travelling action setpiece level, and I remembered I was playing Assassin's Creed.

Honestly, I can't see any reason to use English with accents instead of the country native language. I mean, that's the only choice if you want realism. People don't speak English with accents in non-English countries, they speak their native language.

If the producers think the foreign language is not good enough forthe audience, that's fine. I mean, we don't use dubbing with accents in movies and animes/cartoons, and you're not doing any benefit for the setting of the work by creating something that doesn't represent at all the actual reality of the place you're depicting.

Having 10 studios work on a game actually sounds like a good way create a total mess of a game. What a logistical nightmare to be a project manager for that.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Ubisoft has had a lot of practice with using a billion studios for a single game. You'd think they'd have it down pat. I mean, there's really only been one flop (in terms of technical issues) in this series, and that was AC3. And I think that was mostly on PC? I don't know for sure, though. Maybe it was similarly shit on consoles.

Regardless, they do this for all their Big Name Games. I dunno. Whether or not someone is a fan of the series, or a fan of The Ubisoft Game Structure, they're generally quality products. This just sounds like a huge mistake. It's weird.