Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed Unity

"sweet historical moment" ... SWEET HISTORICAL MOMENT??!

Duder, I don't know you - don't take it the wrong way - I guess, somebody needs to read up on his/her history, preferably a bit deeper than the average Wikipedia page or "History Channel" MTV video? Those wars were real and one of them almost wiped out all of Europe. Words matter?

As for Assassin's Creed:

1. Assassin's Creed Unity is an awful name? Makes me think, AC is running now on the Unity engine.

2. Using history as a pure scenery and backdrop for the same game mechanics and (hence meaningless) gameplay is like a costume movie? I enjoy the technical achievement with each AC iteration. Architecture, (indeed) costumes, rendering improvements, animations, sound design ... neither story, nor sci-fi nonsense plot.

Once again - we had these discussions in the past - history is 'taken' out of context, to serve like a candy store and provide the tons of chocolate drops and fillings for the ahistorical attempts of video games. 'Using' history to diminish historical events, by making them a stage painting for jumping and running around. The worst part is, that uneducated youngsters start to think "this must have been, how it was" through these types of games, because reading more than one book and going to museums or libaries out of curiousity is completely lost on the Internet & mobile phone generations?

And so the "sweet historical moment" born?

Yeah, my bad, but it's a poor choice of words, not an excuse to insult my intelligence and youths. I am a professional historian and hence get very excited at the chance to see the historical moments I study turned into living, breathing worlds. I'm calling the chance to walk through a landscape upon which the face of Europe was changed "sweet", not the bodycount involving two thirds of Germany.

If we can dial down the rhetoric a bit, I would enjoy a discussion of how superficial most historical treatments are in games and how few (King of Dragon Pass, maybe) really even make the effort to capture an appropriate mentality.

Yeah, my bad, but it's a poor choice of words, not an excuse to insult my intelligence and youths. I am a professional historian and hence get very excited at the chance to see the historical moments I study turned into living, breathing worlds. I'm calling the chance to walk through a landscape upon which the face of Europe was changed "sweet", not the bodycount involving two thirds of Germany.

If we can dial down the rhetoric a bit, I would enjoy a discussion of how superficial most historical treatments are in games and how few (King of Dragon Pass, maybe) really even make the effort to capture an appropriate mentality.

Heck I loved how accurate some of Black Flag was. The sea shanties, the banter, the correct terms for all the rigging and how that affects a ship's speed. It was neat to geek out about that some place other than Master and Commander. And I love The White Terror and the first French Revolution as a period of history. Ubisoft honestly does a heck of a lot better than most of Hollywood for history and accuracy. Sure the sci-fi bullshit has gone completely off the rails, but whatever, I can mostly ignore that to enjoy the other stuff.

Having known Gormongous' profession beforehand, I really enjoyed reading Alex's post. It amused me.

Having known Gormongous' profession beforehand, I really enjoyed reading Alex's post. It amused me.

Not to generalize too much but this is kind of what happens when people confuse being morally right for being morally self-righteous and when the person with the moral high ground is the person who is outraged the most by being the least charitable.

"sweet historical moment" ... SWEET HISTORICAL MOMENT??!

Yes. The periods of history into which AC has inserted itself have been endlessly fascinating.

Yeah, I don't know. Now I feel really bad getting all indignant about being called ignorant, because I'd be over the moon if any of my own students were invested in a given period enough to take me to task for sounding like a dudebro about history.

Anyway, the Assassin's Creed games have always been all over the map, so I don't know if I or Alex or anyone else should really be that invested about their historicity at all. I get a special flush from having my dissertation subject, William the Old of Montferrat, be an assassination target in the first Assassin's Creed and it be hilariously inaccurate. In the game, William of Montferrat appears to be in his late thirties (the historical William was at least in his mid-seventies), tall, thin, dark-haired, mean (Acerbo Morena describes him as short, stocky, and good-natured, with white-blonde hair), a partisan of Richard the Lionheart (whom the historical William never met, being instead great uncle to Richard's hated rival, Philip Augustus), and a Templar (the historical William didn't give much to any military order, but when he did it was to the Hospitallers). Credit where credit's due, they get the colors on his tabard right, although the lion rampant is specious, and his haircut is the Lombard style, so they had someone doing historical research, just not very thoroughly. I imagine it went something like

Oh man, there's a "trivia" section to the Assassin's Creed wiki! I can't get enough of it.

Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond revealed that they had originally planned to have Conrad of Montferrat in the game. Their research indicated that he wasn't killed in 1191, but William, Conrad's father, was located in Acre in the same period. In order to maintain the historical accuracy of the project, William was inserted into the game instead.

A man dies six months earlier in your game than in history? Unworkable. A man needs to be thirty-plus years younger than he actually was? Historically accurate.

Heck I loved how accurate some of Black Flag was. The sea shanties, the banter, the correct terms for all the rigging and how that affects a ship's speed. It was neat to geek out about that some place other than Master and Commander. And I love The White Terror and the first French Revolution as a period of history. Ubisoft honestly does a heck of a lot better than most of Hollywood for history and accuracy. Sure the sci-fi bullshit has gone completely off the rails, but whatever, I can mostly ignore that to enjoy the other stuff.

If I had a time machine, there'd be a lot of things for me to do, but one would be to buy and play Assassin's Creed IV right when it came out, so I'd have plenty of questions when we interviewed this early modern historian for a job here. I have never met anyone more knowledgeable or more enthusiastic about how people used to sail in ships. Her presentation was about a bunch of documents that show a French ship's navigators doing trig and log exercises with each other to improve their own abilities. She even plotted the coordinates they each calculated in Google Maps so you could see them competing and improving, it was the best.

Is there anyone who's really into late eighteenth-century France, even via Les Mis or something? What do you hope to see? What do you know they'll get wrong?

Thirty Years War, not the Seven Years War. Although goddamn, that's also a sweet historical moment

That war i would love a series of games set in, not even military.

I love history as a laymen but would you agree it was the first real world war?

India, Europe, America... imagine a game where a good beginning portion its just the build-up to war and tension, playing an aristocratic aid to a senior civil servant in British Parliament like Haytham* in AC3.

Is there anyone who's really into late eighteenth-century France, even via Les Mis or something? What do you hope to see? What do you know they'll get wrong?

I would love to be near a major battle but not involved, using its distraction to pilfer information from an estate. Hearing the wailing shells but with next gen visuals and draw distance and maybe some weather too *gush*

Historical open world games could bankrupt me willingly...

I will totally buy this game on a steam sale when it has dropped ~50% in price, just like I've been doing with most AAA games lately. If there was boat combat again I would probably buy at launch.

Why do you want to play the same again? I loved the hell out of the naval stuff in Black Flag, but to revisit again for the third time? it'd probably feel stale pretty quickly

Seriously what they need to do is some crazy alternate reality shit (well they've already done this with the evil Lincoln DLC no one played) give me alternate history The Three Musketeers (2011) DLC

0606319_45431_MC_Tx360.jpg

It was evil Washington. And I played it!

I'm looking forward to eventually playing this game (not having yet played Black Flag, though, I may change my mind). I laughed out loud at the ninety dollar collector's edition on Steam.

Good point about ship game play getting stale. This game looks like they are going back to the original formula completely, just running around a large city. At least the last two tried new things, wilderness free running and ship combat. This series could be a great place to experiment and spin stuff off of.

Just put sea shanties in no matter what

18th century French drinking songs. 

There's a "leaked" trailer floating around for Assassins Creed Rogue which, i presume, is the xbox360/PS3 assassin creed game. The trailer shows boats, and a preorder bonus boat/sail/something. So if you want boats, there's your boats. boats.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22u0ss_assassin-s-creed-rogue-trailer-off-screen_video game

ice burgs. When, where will this be set then?

How is this going to work on PC , will they releasing both of these games, i guess so. Also there's no real reason why this past gen title can't come out as at least a digital releases on the current consoles... i sure it will

Heres the synopsis

Rogue places fans in the shoes of a Templar, controlling former Assassin-turned-Templar Shay Patrick Cormac. Employing the popular naval gameplay from Black Flag, you navigate a ship across the frigid North Atlantic. Other locales you visit include the Appalachian River Valley and a reimagined New York. Shay is an assassin hunter who has to be even more clever to outsmart his sneaky foes. This entry takes place during the Seven Years' War, filling in the gap between Black Flag and Assassin's Creed III. We won't spoil much, but it has a crucial link to the Kenway saga. Our exclusive feature gives more insight into Shay, details how the cold waters are different from Black Flag's Caribbean setting, and discusses the tools Shay has at his disposal for outsmarting assassins. The Seven Years' War is part of what lead to France's financial troubles, and it's hinted that Shay has even deeper ties to Unity.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=868517

Those screens do look pretty. I'd happily play a re-skinned assassins creed 4. Although I don't think I'd blow the dust off my PS3 for it, hopefully they'll give it a little next gen treatment... of course they will. Although it'll be a bit strange playing this after unity if that a brand new engine with new animations etc

Oh cool another assassin turned templar. I mean I would've much rather played as Kenway that whole game than Connor, but we've already seen this trick Ubisoft! BE MORE ORIGINAL! Am I right guys? Let's get up in arms about this!

I just don't know how the franchise hasn't killed itself already. So many games released so quickly. Ubisoft is a well-oiled AssCreed machine at this point.

I think I saw that this is the 11th game. They're calling rogue the middle chapter of the Kenway trilogy

Ubisoft is a well-oiled Ass

You said it, pal!

How is this going to work on PC , will they releasing both of these games, i guess so. Also there's no real reason why this past gen title can't come out as at least a digital releases on the current consoles... i sure it will

Is it even coming to PC? TBH id love it to especially the northern lights stuff and seeing new york in the 7 Years War when it was extremely pro-British as the French were kicked entirely off the continent and Britain nabbed India while the Germans kept Spain, Russia, Austria, France etc etc at bay.

Cheers for the empire Prussia!

Rogue has, oddly, not yet been announced for PC. SO IT'S NEVER COMING AHAHAHA.

Rogue has no multiplayer.... um i don't touch that stuff so it doesn't effect me in the slightest, i wonder if it'll be sold at a slightly reduced mark up

hot damn the games are coming out 2 weeks apart :blink:

UNity October 28, 2014

Rogue November 11, 2014

i think id rather play rogue first... but not on a PS3. I guess i'll wait for the inevitable HD release, SURLY THEY MUST

I think of all things I would've wished for, it's two bloody Assassin's Creed games per year. I still have to play ACIII, guys, honestly.