Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed Unity

Next gen starts [here]?

[Let them eat cake]?

Man, i wish those were environments in Dark Souls

It looks shiny, and the French Revolution is a good setting to explore, but the environments look so familiar. On that first pan across the empty street, I could see the exact parkour line that's been used in so many of these games before, which makes me think the mechanics will remain basically unchanged.

I mean, I guess it is working for them. Black Flag was ok, and I had some fun with it, but I'm sort of sick of the core AC gameplay. I don't know if I'm in for another (to paraphrase the late Ryan Davis) another "Assassin's Creed-ass Assassin's Creed game."

Damn it, I was off by only 15 years! I had always hoped for a Paris locale, but in the Napoleonic era with the war against Russia.

This game will surely find a way to incorporate Napoleon into the proceedings, ofc, as a scrappy young corporal defending the values of the revolution.

Fun typo-related fact: pacifist, poverty-loving monk Francesco d'Assisi (founder of the Franciscan order) lived at around the same time as Assassin's Creed 1 took place. His major pilgrimage away from Italy took him to Egypt, another rumored location for future AC games.

On topic: very good, very good.

I was hoping for the Russian Revolution, but this could be good too!

I've been playing AC: Liberation, which is kind of rad because according to the game I'm about 30% in and it has just completely ignored all the animus stuff the whole time. Totally great when you strip that stuff away. Now if they would just remove all the obnoxious instant fail states they might actually have a rad game.

I was hoping for the Russian Revolution, but this could be good too!

I've skipped the last 2 games, have been hoping that Russia would eventually make an appearance.  I'd come back for that.

Maybe the pirate off shoot game will be more actiony, swashbuckling and what not, and the assassins creed games will be more stealth based assignation games. Who am I kidding, we're getting the exact same shit. This is as good as an AC2 HD Definitive edition

Will that huge crowd at the end be inside the sandbox for you to interact with? It'll probably be all smoke and mirrors and ass man will just snap into large crowd mode with a very limited move set

I'm pumped for the setting, but I sure wish we could get a new AC to go back in time before guns were invented.  The setting in AC1, despite not being the best game, was the most interesting for me.

According to kotaku the movement system is going to be redone, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm just hoping for something more fluid at this point.  What was impressive in AC1 has aged terribly.  But hey, I still like climbing buildings.

I'm pumped for the setting, but I sure wish we could get a new AC to go back in time before guns were invented.  The setting in AC1, despite not being the best game, was the most interesting for me.

I really don't quite see why the historical portion of every Assassin's Creed game has to take place in chronology after the previous one. It seems like a failure of imagination, but then again the series has several of those.

I'd also like to see more medieval and early modern settings, but I suspect we won't due to a general belief that "not much happened" in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance compared to the last century, even though the Sicilian Vespers or the Thirty Years War would be awesome to explore as a weirdly conspicuous murderer.

I heard that the game will be made entirely with free assets downloaded from the Unity store. Excited to see if they can pull it off.

According to kotaku the movement system is going to be redone, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm just hoping for something more fluid at this point.  What was impressive in AC1 has aged terribly.  But hey, I still like climbing buildings.

I think that was solely based on the screenshots with Parkour UP and Parkour Down buttons. Personally I hope the parkour (and combat) is a lot more difficult in the next game, I feel the game is becoming a little too easy mode. 

The setting seems interesting, I was betting that the next two AC games would be a F2P multiplayer game like the one currently in ACIV and a standalone naval combat game with very little to do with the AC brand, but using it for name recognition.

I really don't quite see why the historical portion of every Assassin's Creed game has to take place in chronology after the previous one. It seems like a failure of imagination, but then again the series has several of those.

It doesn't. The protagonist in 3 is the grandson is the protagonist in 4. They just haven't filled in anything between when 1 and 2 took place yet. I'd like to see that too.

I just wanna know when they're gonna make an AC game that takes place in the time of the dinosaurs, when man was still caveman.

It doesn't. The protagonist in 3 is the grandson is the protagonist in 4. They just haven't filled in anything between when 1 and 2 took place yet. I'd like to see that too.

Well, they did make more Altair games that filled in the gap between 1 and Altair in Revelations, I think there was one on DS and one on PSP. But yeah, there were no other ancestors within that gap.

I'd really like them to just get out of the rut of Desmond's ancestry, and maybe pick another character who is actually still alive and part of the modern day Assassin's or go the other direction and pick a new Templar protagonist/anti-hero with a different set of genetic memories.

I'd really like them to just get out of the rut of Desmond's ancestry, and maybe pick another character who is actually still alive and part of the modern day Assassin's or go the other direction and pick a new Templar protagonist/anti-hero with a different set of genetic memories.

I was hoping for that too, after the ACIV meta-story it really looked like they were going to tell a Templar story, not necessarily as an anti-hero but as the same story from a different perspective because the meta-story (imo) shows that both sides are being manipulated.

Yeah, but do we really have to play them in chronological order? Wouldn't it be just as compelling to play the grandson, with allusions to the grandfather, then go back to play the latter next? I understand why they're doing it that way in this specific case, but it seems like Ubisoft has worked to preserve a strict chronological order for the franchise, which is really limiting.

...pick a new Templar protagonist/anti-hero with a different set of genetic memories.

You know what would be amazing? Playing a Templar from Cyprus or something trying to survive immediately before and after the order was suppressed in 1307. There's so much cool stuff actually going on between Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed 2, not to mention after the latter, that we're really missing out on in order to have King Washington and whatever.

Also, googling "Templar order" brings up the Wikipedia article third, after Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age wiki articles. I'm sad now.

I can't wait to find 15 mobs scattered around the world about to guillotine various nobles and then get prompted to make a moral choice on whether to give them the chop or not.

or for someone to yell "Jacque De Molay, you are avenged!"

I'm tentatively interested. Black Flag was solid enough, but wasn't really an Assassin's Creed game. Then again I really enjoyed 2, including the kind of virtual tourism aspect, which I think I could enjoy even more with some super pretty next-gen shininess. I'll wait for reviews though, Ubisoft's PR machine can be quite a bit better than their actual games.

At least The White Terror is a really interesting time in history. And Paris is famous for parkour. I do wonder what, if anything though they have up their sleeves to, I don't know, change the game mechanics.

I mean, I guess it is working for them. Black Flag was ok, and I had some fun with it, but I'm sort of sick of the core AC gameplay. I don't know if I'm in for another (to paraphrase the late Ryan Davis) another "Assassin's Creed-ass Assassin's Creed game."

As someone who was incredibly excited for AC1, but actually LIKED AC2 and ACBRO (if I'm honest with myself, two of my favorite games of all time probably), Black Flag was an incredible return to form. I put 50 hours into that game, and I still haven't been able to beat the huge Man of War battles. The French Revolution, again, is incredibly exciting. While it's probably just confluence, the fact that the least interesting AC game was during the American Revolution feels related to the fact that it's the portion of history that wasn't the least interesting but had the least interesting bits to explore and expand.

the Thirty Years War would be awesome to explore as a weirdly conspicuous murderer.

I concur, but can you really see a french company based in Montreal making a Next-Gen [farts here] title, culminating in the fall of Quebec to the British?

As someone who was incredibly excited for AC1, but actually LIKED AC2 and ACBRO (if I'm honest with myself, two of my favorite games of all time probably), Black Flag was an incredible return to form. I put 50 hours into that game, and I still haven't been able to beat the huge Man of War battles. 

I'll clarify my skepticism and my thoughts on Black Flag. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of my time with the game. After not enjoying AC3 very much, I read reviews saying "play this if you want a fun open world pirate game," and for the first part of the game, that's exactly what I did. I did all the naval contracts, I raided ships to upgrade the Jackdaw, and I had a great deal of fun being the scourge of one of the seven seas.

The problem came when I finished up all of the naval side content and then got around to playing the rest of the main story missions. Without the naval aspects to break things up, the main missions felt (to me at least) a distillation of all the mechanical things about Assassin's Creed that really haven't evolved in very positive ways over the last 7 years. The repeated eavesdropping missions were frustrating and not very fun, the chase missions were obnoxious mostly due to the context-sensitve controls, and the combat continued to be inoffensive, but not particularly engaging. I felt like I mainlined the most "Assassin's Creed" style missions at the end, and the concentration just made me react more strongly against them than if I had played it another way. Maybe my play style messed up the progression of the game, but mostly it just left me hoping that they were willing to overhaul the climbing/stealth/combat parts of the game so that the main missions will feel like less of a drag.

I still think Black Flag is a pretty good game, I just want a deeper reconsideration of the mechanics this time around.

Well I haven't played any of these games since Assassin's Creed II (which I enjoyed) so I for one am excited to... well come to think of it I probably won't play this one either.

Without the naval aspects to break things up, the main missions felt (to me at least) a distillation of all the mechanical things about Assassin's Creed that really haven't evolved in very positive ways over the last 7 years. The repeated eavesdropping missions were frustrating and not very fun, the chase missions were obnoxious mostly due to the context-sensitve controls, and the combat continued to be inoffensive, but not particularly engaging.

This is my main problem with the Assassins Creed series as well, the missions structure evolves at a glacial pace.  I think the sneak into a compound and assassinate some target mechanics work pretty well and I enjoyed most of the missions where I was tasked to do just that.  But most of the on land missions in Black Flag were at best non-offensive and at worst supremely frustrating.  If they can overhaul what I am actually doing from mission to mission I will get excited.

That said I am always happy when someone makes a big budget game that takes place during an interesting time period or historical setting.  And that would make me more forgiving if this turns out to just be another Assassins Creed game.

I concur, but can you really see a french company based in Montreal making a Next-Gen [farts here] title, culminating in the fall of Quebec to the British?

Thirty Years War, not the Seven Years War. Although goddamn, that's also a sweet historical moment that we pass over in favor of Connor Ratonhnhaké:ton's (Mohawk for "boring dude") tree-climbing adventure.

Thirty Years War, not the Seven Years War. Although goddamn, that's also a sweet historical moment that we pass over in favor of Connor Ratonhnhaké:ton's (Mohawk for "boring dude") tree-climbing adventure.

"sweet historical moment" ... SWEET HISTORICAL MOMENT??!

Duder, I don't know you - don't take it the wrong way - I guess, somebody needs to read up on his/her history, preferably a bit deeper than the average Wikipedia page or "History Channel" MTV video? Those wars were real and one of them almost wiped out all of Europe. Words matter?

As for Assassin's Creed:

1. Assassin's Creed Unity is an awful name? Makes me think, AC is running now on the Unity engine.

2. Using history as a pure scenery and backdrop for the same game mechanics and (hence meaningless) gameplay is like a costume movie? I enjoy the technical achievement with each AC iteration. Architecture, (indeed) costumes, rendering improvements, animations, sound design ... neither story, nor sci-fi nonsense plot.

Once again - we had these discussions in the past - history is 'taken' out of context, to serve like a candy store and provide the tons of chocolate drops and fillings for the ahistorical attempts of video games. 'Using' history to diminish historical events, by making them a stage painting for jumping and running around. The worst part is, that uneducated youngsters start to think "this must have been, how it was" through these types of games, because reading more than one book and going to museums or libaries out of curiousity is completely lost on the Internet & mobile phone generations?

And so the "sweet historical moment" is born?